Jun 1, 2013, 10:38 AM EDT
Tigers’ slugger Miguel Cabrera wrapped up his fantastic May by going 2-for-4 with a two-run homer and a walk last night against the Orioles. He ended up batting .379/.450/.698 with 12 home runs and 33 RBI in 28 games during the month. By contrast, the Royals hit just 14 home runs as a team for the entire month.
Coming off his Triple Crown season, Cabrera will enter June with a .372 batting average to go along with 16 home runs and 61 RBI through 53 games. Not only is that a ridiculous pace, it’s also historic.
Wow. Just to put things in perspective, Cabrera was hitting .323 with 11 home runs and 44 RBI through his first 53 games last season. Those are some pretty fantastic numbers, but he’s on another level so far this year.
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 11
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 16
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 17
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)