Jun 1, 2013, 11:05 AM EDT
Sandoval will sit out this weekend’s series against the Cardinals at the very least and isn’t an option off the bench. Giants manager Bruce Bochy hasn’t ruled out the possibility that he could land on the disabled list if his condition doesn’t improve over the next few days. Joaquin Arias and Nick Noonan should see time at third base during his absence.
Sandoval, 26, is batting .288/.328/.434 with eight home runs and 37 RBI in 53 games this season. He hasn’t played more than 117 games in a season since 2010.
- The Cubs to announce the hiring of Joe Maddon on Monday 36
- Cubs fire manager Rick Renteria, clear way for Joe Maddon 68
- HardballTalk’s Top 150 Free Agents for 2015 24
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game 118
- Kevin Youkilis opts for retirement at age 35 31
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 108
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 19
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 83
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (282)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game (118)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)