Jun 1, 2013, 11:05 AM EDT
Sandoval will sit out this weekend’s series against the Cardinals at the very least and isn’t an option off the bench. Giants manager Bruce Bochy hasn’t ruled out the possibility that he could land on the disabled list if his condition doesn’t improve over the next few days. Joaquin Arias and Nick Noonan should see time at third base during his absence.
Sandoval, 26, is batting .288/.328/.434 with eight home runs and 37 RBI in 53 games this season. He hasn’t played more than 117 games in a season since 2010.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 26
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 28
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 13
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 190
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 21
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 35
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (191)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)