Jun 1, 2013, 2:30 PM EDT
The Pirates have yet to approach third baseman Pedro Alvarez about a contract extension, but there appears to be mutual interest in a possible deal.
Alvarez’s agent, Scott Boras, told Rob Biertempfel of the Pittsburgh Post-Tribune that he is “open to the idea” of an extension. Meanwhile, Pirates president Frank Coonelly is on the same page.
“Open minds often lead to common ground and, ultimately, to agreement,” Coonelly said. “We also have an open mind on these issues and will continue to evaluate seriously the merits of a long-term agreement with Pedro, just like we do with all of our young players.”
Alvarez’s original contract with the Pirates includes a $700,000 team option for 2014, but he can void it if he qualifies for salary arbitration. The Pirates fully expect that to happen, so there figures to be some negotiating this winter no matter what. Even if the option is voided, Alvarez remains under team control through 2016. The Pirates would almost certainly want to buy out a free agent year or two as part of an extension, which could be a challenge with Boras involved.
Alvarez has struck out in 31.1 percent of the time in the majors and owns a lowly .232 batting average, but he brings legitimate pop from the third base position. The 26-year-old launched 30 home runs last season and has 10 in 47 games so far this year.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 102
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 19
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 9
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (102)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)