Settling the Score: Friday’s results

Jun 1, 2013, 8:55 AM EDT

Chris Dickerson Getty Getty Images

There’s no stopping the Orioles’ offense. After Max Scherzer appeared poised to improve to 8-0 last night, the Orioles came roaring back for four runs in the bottom of the ninth inning against Jose Valverde to secure a dramatic 7-5 walk-off victory.

Nick Markakis led off the inning with a solo homer and was followed by back-to-back singles by Adam Jones and Chris Davis. Valverde battled back and got both Matt Wieters and J.J. Hardy on pop-ups, but Chris Dickerson played hero for Baltimore by depositing a three-run homer into the right field seats to win it.

Through the first two months of the season, the Orioles lead the majors in both runs scored and home runs. If they could acquire an arm to bolster their rotation (maybe someone like the Cubs’ Matt Garza?), they’d really be in business.

Your Friday box scores:

Diamondbacks 2, Cubs 7

Red Sox 1, Yankees 4

Reds 6, Pirates 0

Rays 9, Indians 2

Brewers 8, Phillies 5

Mets 1, Marlins 5

Royals 2, Rangers 7

Nationals 3, Braves 2

Mariners 3, Twins 0

White Sox 0, Athletics 3

Dodgers 7, Rockies 5 (10 innings)

Astros 6, Angels 3

Blue Jays 3, Padres 4 (17 innings)

Giants/Cardinals – postponed

1. bucs1905 - Jun 1, 2013 at 9:20 AM

Leyland’s poor coaching strike again. When will this guy stop being loved?

2. junglerat524 - Jun 1, 2013 at 9:21 AM

Cueto was kicking it last night!

3. vincentbojackson - Jun 1, 2013 at 9:28 AM

The Tigers have the most talented lineup in baseball. How long are they going to continue letting Benoit and Valverde lose leads in the 8th and 9th innings?

Both are out there tossing batting practice. Neither guy is fooling anyone.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jun 1, 2013 at 9:37 AM

Benoit has given up 5 ER all year (in 24 IP). Valverde gave up 4 ER last night. I really don’t see how you can compare the two.

• bucs1905 - Jun 1, 2013 at 9:38 AM

They are fooling Leyland. Scherzer retires 16 in a row and we pull him. He will let Verlander throw a million inning and pitches a year, but god forbid Scherzer finish a game he was dominating

• brewcrewfan54 - Jun 1, 2013 at 10:15 AM

Not every pitcher can throw 130 pitches like Verlander and come out firing again 5 days later. I assume Leyland knows his staff better than you or I. Maybe Sherzer isnt a guy who can come back after throwing more than usual.

• historiophiliac - Jun 1, 2013 at 10:40 AM

Yes, in all fairness, at the end of last season Scherzer was having shoulder issues and the sense was it was from wear. Still, 8 innings is more than a lot of pitchers do and this wouldn’t be a problem IF WE HAD A DECENT CLOSER!

• buddaley - Jun 1, 2013 at 3:14 PM

I think it should also be noted that Scherzer had thrown 119 pitches by that point. I hated that Leyland brought in, and then left in, Valverde, but I can understand being unwilling to push Scherzer over 120 pitches in a game that required him to work very hard.

• buddaley - Jun 1, 2013 at 3:06 PM

What is your complaint about Benoit? As far as I can tell, he has not given up a lead this season, has a win and 2 saves and excellent peripherals. In 24 appearances, he has given up run(s) just 4 times, and in 3 of those instances, the Tigers won the game anyway. And as for fooling anyone, Benoit has struck out 10.9 batters for every 9 innings pitched.

In the one loss, Benoit pitched a shutout 8th and then walked the leadoff man in the 9th. Coke gave up a single and double after that letting the tying and winning runs score. That was on April 3.

16 hits (2 home runs) and 8 BBs in 24 innings is not pitching batting practice. And he has yet to lose an 8th inning (or any inning) lead, unless you want to count that April 3 game when Coke allowed his man to score. (Officially, Benoit got a hold for that game.)

4. bucs1905 - Jun 1, 2013 at 9:43 AM

Benoit I have no problem with. It’s this fascination with givng Valverde a redemption. He should have been yanked after the first 0-2 homer.

5. proudlycanadian - Jun 1, 2013 at 9:46 AM

The word “Valverde” has become a major obscenity in Detroit.

• indaburg - Jun 1, 2013 at 9:55 AM

I know exactly how they feel.

• historiophiliac - Jun 1, 2013 at 11:23 AM

Please pass the meth.

• indaburg - Jun 1, 2013 at 12:09 PM

Did you know all Florida homes come fitted with their own crystal meth lab? 3 bdrm, 2.5 bath, 2 car garage, washer/dryer, pool, lanai, sun room, meth lab…

• historiophiliac - Jun 1, 2013 at 12:12 PM

Wow. We just shake & bake in our cars. You are big time.

• indaburg - Jun 1, 2013 at 12:17 PM

We don’t mess around.

• historiophiliac - Jun 1, 2013 at 12:23 PM

I’m afraid of you.

As an aside, I’m going to watch the first part of today’s game and then go to the annual Pride parade. I can check the score on Twitter to decide if I want to watch the 9th inning when I get home. :(

• indaburg - Jun 1, 2013 at 12:28 PM

I truly feel your pain.

On a positive note, pride parades are awesome. Have a great time! Don’t let those twisters get ya.

• historiophiliac - Jun 1, 2013 at 12:31 PM

Potato. Plantain. Same difference.

It’s been awhile since I’ve been to the parade here. It’s a lot bigger than it used to be. It’s clear and 76* for a high expected today. Should be great.

• indaburg - Jun 1, 2013 at 12:39 PM

Freaky. You literally read my mind. I was wondering if Valverde likes plantains. Of course, I don’t live in Detroit, and although they will be coming to town very soon, I can’t very well give him one then. Conflict of interest.

• historiophiliac - Jun 1, 2013 at 10:41 AM

/twitches

• paperlions - Jun 1, 2013 at 10:55 AM

I sincerely and deeply apologize for wishing Valverde upon you. In my defense, I really didn’t think the Tigers would ever re-sign him, much less bring him and up and give him the 9th inning.

• proudlycanadian - Jun 1, 2013 at 5:29 PM

The best way for the Tigers to defeat Valverde is to score a lot of runs.

• pisano - Jun 1, 2013 at 6:09 PM

pc… you’d think they’d have a clue that Valverde isn’t reliable anymore, what the answer is, I couldn’t say, but I can say Valverde is toast as a closer.

• proudlycanadian - Jun 1, 2013 at 6:54 PM

The Tigers know that the only way they can defeat Valverde is to score a lot of runs themselves.

6. rockthered1286 - Jun 1, 2013 at 10:02 AM

Welp.. I was right. Tigre starting pitching is freakishly good and held our bats in check. Good thing they have somebody closing who makes Jim Johnson look like Mariano Rivera. And glad to see Dickerson back in the lineup. Hopefully his presence is enough to keep the likes of Steve Pearce out of that DH spot. Yuck.

• purplerider012 - Jun 1, 2013 at 10:36 AM

it takes everyone all 25 to win a long season, your intellect here shows just how much of moron loser you are when it comes to baseball intelligence

• historiophiliac - Jun 1, 2013 at 10:42 AM

What’s that about? Cool it, dude.

• rockthered1286 - Jun 3, 2013 at 8:55 AM

wow I’m just now seeing this comment from PR… and I gotta say when somebody uses the phrase “it takes everyone all 25 to win a long season” and then calls me a moron loser? Seems kinda counter productive there hoss…your anti-Detroit sentiments and purple notation make me thing you’re either a Vikes fan (makes sense to oppose the Lions and all of Detroit) or a Ravens fan (as they’re currently playing the Tigers), and I pray for the sake of my city that it’s not the latter, as anyone who posts garbage like this makes our city look like we stop grade school after 5th. Do us all a favor and grab your bowl of Fruit Loops, head back down to your mother’s basement, shut the computer down and continue you’re DVR’d episode of Jeryr Springer. I heard this week will be Hoe’s with their Bros. Rivetting stuff there.

7. Francisco (FC) - Jun 1, 2013 at 10:17 AM

Well, Cole can’t blame run support this time. They gave him a 3 run lead from the very first inning. You would think that would take off the pressure and allow him to just throw his game. I can imagine Cliff Lee in the dugout: “God gives bread to those with no teeth!”

Colbert is definitely a bit off this year. Gotta get his mojo back.

8. natslady - Jun 1, 2013 at 10:20 AM

Well, if a HR can be a “wall-scraper” then so can a game, and this was it. After Stras came out, Stammen, 4 innings BRILLIANT. Offense consisteed of Span 2 leadoff triples, Lombo 2 sac flies, and build another run out of I don’t know what. Then HOLD ON for dear life in the 7th while LaRoche makes an error (called a “hit” but it wasn’t) and Clip with WP, 2 HBP, and FINALLY 2 Ks, one to old reliable BJ Upton (thank you, Fredi).

9. purplerider012 - Jun 1, 2013 at 10:41 AM

detroit showed last nite their true colors, choke artist at its best, your lost the series like wimps, jose is over the hill washed up and a complete moron

• bucs1905 - Jun 1, 2013 at 10:46 AM

Night* you’re*. Learn proper grammar or everyone will think you’re an idiot.

• historiophiliac - Jun 1, 2013 at 11:22 AM

People will already think he’s an idiot since he says Detroit lost the series…on the first night of it.

10. APBA Guy - Jun 1, 2013 at 10:56 AM

Capt. Colon showed something last night, a 40 yr old CG at 94 mph in the 9th. Red lights and klaxons were undoubtedly on full alert mode at WADA, but A’s fans are getting the feeling El Capitan is out to prove something this year: “no necessito el jugo.”

Axelrod pitched really well, then got a little tired and a couple of balls stayed up. The A’s took advantage for their 9th win in the last 11.

11. indaburg - Jun 1, 2013 at 11:57 AM

I fell asleep on the sofa, watching tne Rays and Indians on tv, and the Jays – Padres on the iPad. I am beat. I can’t even imagine how the players feel today.

• historiophiliac - Jun 1, 2013 at 4:38 PM

#thuglife #marriedlife

• indaburg - Jun 1, 2013 at 5:00 PM

Married thug?

The Rays looked as listless as I suspected today. It was a rough night.

• historiophiliac - Jun 1, 2013 at 5:14 PM

Switch over. Our game is CRAY-ZEE!

• indaburg - Jun 1, 2013 at 5:16 PM

Will do

• indaburg - Jun 1, 2013 at 5:18 PM

4 HRs in the 4th inning alone? Now that’s just being greedy capitalist Tigers. :-)

• historiophiliac - Jun 1, 2013 at 5:19 PM

Si, motherfu*ker!

• indaburg - Jun 1, 2013 at 5:26 PM

LOL

I’m grateful. The Rays need the O’s to lose to keep pace. And, you shouldn’t have to worry about Papa Grande today.

Papelbon destined to be traded?
  1. G. Stanton (3565)