Jun 1, 2013, 6:50 PM EDT
Stephen Strasburg left last night’s start after only two innings with a strained lower back, but the Nationals are going to play the waiting game before putting him on the 15-day disabled list, according to Amanda Comak of the Washington Times. The Nats could skip and further delay his next scheduled start, using Craig Stammen — who tossed four shut-out innings in relief of Strasburg last night — in the interim.
Strasburg joins a lengthy list of injured Nationals, including star outfielder Bryce Harper who was put on the DL today, retroactive to May 27. The Nationals have been hovering around .500 for the better part of the last two weeks, tenuously holding onto a spot in second place in the NL East, currently 4.5 games behind the first place Braves and two games ahead of the third-place Phillies.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 0
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 16
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 21
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 33
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)