Jun 1, 2013, 6:50 PM EDT
Stephen Strasburg left last night’s start after only two innings with a strained lower back, but the Nationals are going to play the waiting game before putting him on the 15-day disabled list, according to Amanda Comak of the Washington Times. The Nats could skip and further delay his next scheduled start, using Craig Stammen — who tossed four shut-out innings in relief of Strasburg last night — in the interim.
Strasburg joins a lengthy list of injured Nationals, including star outfielder Bryce Harper who was put on the DL today, retroactive to May 27. The Nationals have been hovering around .500 for the better part of the last two weeks, tenuously holding onto a spot in second place in the NL East, currently 4.5 games behind the first place Braves and two games ahead of the third-place Phillies.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 0
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 6
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 213
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 52
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (213)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (124)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)