Two charged after alleged assault at Orioles game sends man to intensive care

Jun 1, 2013, 5:45 PM EDT

Camden Yards

Disturbing story out of Baltimore.

According to Yvonne Wegner and Justin Fenton of the Baltimore Sun, two men have been charged after an alleged assault at Camden Yards during Wednesday’s Nationals/Orioles game sent one man to intensive care with severe head trauma and a skull fracture.

The alleged attack occurred after 25-year-old Matt Fortese was being taunted by two fans for wearing his Yankees hat to the game. It eventually led to a confrontation.

By the fifth or sixth inning of the matchup with the Washington Nationals, the couple had endured about an hour of heckling, mostly about Fortese’s hat, from two men sitting a section above them, said Queen, 21. Then one of the men threw a beer that hit the couple, according to police, and when Fortese approached the men and began arguing with them, one punched him in the head.

The blow sent Fortese over a railing and onto the concrete about five feet below.

Two men — Gregory Fleischman, 22, of Jarrettsville, and Michael Bell, 21, of Annapolis — were charged in the attack.

Police said Fleischman punched Fortese.

All of this over a hat. As fate would have it, Fortese was revived by Nathan Steelman, a childhood friend who just so happened to be attending the same game. He’s currently listed in serious condition at Maryland Shock Trauma Center. Fortese’s father said that he has been in and out of consciousness and will likely need long-term physical therapy.

Fleischman was charged with first- and second-degree assault and disorderly conduct while Bell was charged with second-degree assault and disorderly conduct. Both were released on $50,000 bond yesterday.

1. mazblast - Jun 2, 2013 at 1:29 PM

This is hardly new, except for the level of escalation.

I’m a Pirates fan who’s lived most of his life in the Cincinnati area. I don’t wear my Pirates hat to Reds games that don’t involve the Pirates, but when the Bucs are in town, yes, I wear one of my Pirates hats. I’m a FAN of the team.

And boy, do I get abuse for it. Normally, it’s just been ordinary smack talk, or friendly banter. It’s part of the game experience. Sometimes it gets more serious, with threats and beer-throwing. I report it to the ushers, who normally do–nothing. This in itself is an improvement from the 1970s-80s-90s, when the ushers would generally side with the guys threatening me. More than once I was asked to leave the ballpark for the “crime” of rooting for the other team, including the threat of arrest during the 1990 playoffs (I stood my ground and never left, nor was I arrested). I think part of their training was the memorization of the sentence, “You will root for the Reds or you will be silent!”, given how many times I heard it.

One thing I NEVER do is to confront the abusers. I stay in my seat and try to resolve things in a reasonable manner. If it continues, I either change seats or contact security.

One thing I’ve noticed is that when I’m with a woman, the ushers are far less tolerant of the abusive behavior.

Anyways–I hope for a full recovery for the young man, and nice long jail time for his assailants.

2. bigmeechy74 - Jun 2, 2013 at 1:57 PM

This is the most ridiculous, pathetic thing I’ve ever read. People are so sh***y. I used to be half-joking when I said I preferred dogs to people. But behavior like this makes me realize that we are the worst species in existence.

• mazblast - Jun 2, 2013 at 2:08 PM

People are not sh**ty. Individual persons are sh**ty. The problem is that the few sh**ty individuals make life lousy for the many.

To look at it from the perspective of a great man–

“Cats look down on us. Dogs look up to us. I like pigs. Pigs treat us as equals.”–Winston Churchill

• bigmeechy74 - Jun 2, 2013 at 2:28 PM

Obviously there are millions of wonderful individuals. But Actually the human race as a whole is pretty shi**y. We are selfish. We use up all the resources on earth without consideration to anything else. We believe we should have dominion over everything and just use everything for our benefit without any regard just because we happened to have evolved more

3. multiplemiggs - Jun 2, 2013 at 3:06 PM

GOD is in control. Hopefully this guy will die. This is punishment for harming other children of GOD.

• bigmeechy74 - Jun 2, 2013 at 9:06 PM

Just when I thought I couldn’t possibly dislike you any more…. you start in with the God stuff and then wishing death… Jeez…. You are awful. Even though I know you are trolling you probably really are a terrible person to be around. Sheesh.

4. multiplemiggs - Jun 3, 2013 at 10:25 AM

I know everything and am always right.

When home-field advantage isn't so
  1. T. Lincecum (3064)