Jun 2, 2013, 4:30 PM EDT
I tend to dismiss “God Bless America” at the ballpark because it’s an Irving Berlin show tune — seriously, look it up — that admittedly meant something to people for a while in 2001, but which now has become an exercise in empty, mindless patriotism. We have no shortage of that, we have a severe shortage of god old fashioned baseball fun at the ballpark, and we really don’t need it.
But a Methodist minister writing in the Washington Post has a different reason for protesting “God Bless America.” A theological basis:
I love this country and don’t want to live anywhere else. But being pressured to stand up at a baseball game for a song that’s essentially a prayer seems, well, un-American. It feels like being pushed into the river for a baptism I didn’t choose. It’s an empty ritual, and one that I think doesn’t hold much theological water … I imagine that the God I believe in isn’t interested in dispensing special nationalistic blessings.
“Take me out the ballgame” may be some old vaudevillian-era song too, but at least it’s an inclusive one.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 64
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 50
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)