Jun 2, 2013, 3:52 PM EST
Doc Gooden is clean and sober now and has a new memoir coming out. In connection with that he gave an interview to Andrew Goldman of the New York Times. It’s short, but packs a lot of punch. This one was … interesting:
Q: You had a messy childhood. You write that your father took you on visits to his mistress, and your mother tried to shoot them both with a .38.
A: She did get him in the shoulder and unloaded the whole gun, I guess, trying to get the woman. My mom was a lovely woman but a tough cookie.
Guess I’m going to have to find a different way to describe my mom, because I’ve always used “lovely” and “tough cookie” with her, but now it seems to pale a bit.
Other interesting comments about his friendship — or lack thereof — with Darryl Strawberry and about the time Lenny Dykstra tried to spring him from “Celebrity Rehab.” Which, if successful, could have ended in a Butch and Sundance or Thelma and Louise situation. Or maybe some combination of the two.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 299
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (299)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)