Jun 2, 2013, 3:52 PM EST
Doc Gooden is clean and sober now and has a new memoir coming out. In connection with that he gave an interview to Andrew Goldman of the New York Times. It’s short, but packs a lot of punch. This one was … interesting:
Q: You had a messy childhood. You write that your father took you on visits to his mistress, and your mother tried to shoot them both with a .38.
A: She did get him in the shoulder and unloaded the whole gun, I guess, trying to get the woman. My mom was a lovely woman but a tough cookie.
Guess I’m going to have to find a different way to describe my mom, because I’ve always used “lovely” and “tough cookie” with her, but now it seems to pale a bit.
Other interesting comments about his friendship — or lack thereof — with Darryl Strawberry and about the time Lenny Dykstra tried to spring him from “Celebrity Rehab.” Which, if successful, could have ended in a Butch and Sundance or Thelma and Louise situation. Or maybe some combination of the two.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 68
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 158
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (160)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (135)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)