Hapless Marlins sweep Haplesser Mets

Jun 2, 2013, 4:51 PM EDT

David Wright Getty Images

The Mets had Matt Harvey on the mound today and they got three homers for the offense. That should be a sure recipe to snap a little two-game losing streak, right?

No, not even close. The Mets blew a 6-4 lead as the bullpen gave up seven runs in three innings Sunday in an 11-6 loss to the Marlins. It gave Miami its first three-game sweep of the season.

The Marlins were 13-41 and were averaging 2.7 runs per game this season before busting out for 24 runs in the three games against the Mets. Ed Lucas, a 31-year-old who just made his major league debut Thursday, went 4-for-4, and rookie Marcell Ozuna drove in four runs. Greg Dobbs punctuated the win with a three-run homer off LaTroy Hawkins in the eighth.

Harvey had a rare off day for the Mets, giving up four runs in five innings, but he still left with the lead. Of course, that didn’t last. Scott Rice came in to start the sixth and followed up a groundout with three straight walks. For some reason, he was allowed to continue, and Ozuna delivered a two-run double to erase the lead.

Rice, whose only value is as a lefty specialist, was allowed to face seven batters in all and gave up four runs. He took his fourth loss to go along with three victories. It’s a truly remarkable number of decisions for a guy who should be getting one or two outs most games. He’s been involved in three more decisions than anyone else who could be considered a lefty specialist (Tampa Bay’s Jake McGee and the Yankees’ Boone Logan are both 2-2). It doesn’t make Terry Collins look good that the most inconsequential pitcher on the staff has been that much of a factor.

The lone good news for the Mets today was that Ike Davis had a two-run homer and an RBI single. The homer, which was estimated at over 420 feet, was his first since April 25.

The Mets are now 22-32 on the season. Only the Marlins and Brewers have worse records in the NL.

1. proudlycanadian - Jun 2, 2013 at 5:13 PM

You have to be kidding! I refuse to believe you. The Mets just swept the Yankees and now you claim that the Marlins swept the Mets! Stuff and nonsense. This is not April Fools Day.

• paperlions - Jun 2, 2013 at 8:16 PM

…and by the transitive property of haplessness, that makes the Yankees the haplessest.

2. 13arod - Jun 2, 2013 at 5:35 PM

proudlycanadian the marlins are way better then the mets

• Old Gator - Jun 2, 2013 at 5:38 PM

If you ignore their respective records, you mean?

3. Old Gator - Jun 2, 2013 at 5:36 PM

I picked the right weekend to have a friend over from two opposite hemispheres at once. I did’t watch any of those games, and it’s just as well. It would have been like watching Gigli, Plan Nine from Outer Space and Roberto Benigni’s Pinocchio back to back to back.

I had almost forgotten how boring the Feesh can be when they win.

Tomorrow, the Feesh go to Feelie where reality has an even chance of reimposing itself. The Mutts have a day off to figure out whether or not they really want to keep this manager. And we collectively have some time to ponder what a truly atrocious division is the NL East.

• historiophiliac - Jun 2, 2013 at 6:39 PM

Cheer up. Houston is still the happlesseriest, right? Oh, wait…

• proudlycanadian - Jun 2, 2013 at 6:42 PM

See below.

• junglerat524 - Jun 2, 2013 at 7:29 PM

You should adhere to the don’t ask don’t tell philosophy when it comes to describing your weekends.

• Old Gator - Jun 2, 2013 at 8:07 PM

Nope. Why not go somewhere where folks take your requests seriously?

• mazblast - Jun 3, 2013 at 12:22 AM

You forgot to add “The Terror of Tiny Town” to your film marathon.

• Old Gator - Jun 3, 2013 at 5:42 AM

Right! We don’t want to leave the Chihuahua sitting behind the dugout..

4. proudlycanadian - Jun 2, 2013 at 6:38 PM

The next thing you know, Matthew is going to claim that the Astros are on a 5 game winning streak. You are going to do it Matthew aren’t you just to spite me?

• proudlycanadian - Jun 2, 2013 at 7:09 PM

Argh! It’s true! It’s true!

• proudlycanadian - Jun 2, 2013 at 7:25 PM

Check the standings. A miracle has happened. Houston really has won 5 in a row.

• natslady - Jun 2, 2013 at 10:19 PM

Go Bo (Porter)!!! Just keep beating up on the hapless Angels and Mariners.

5. junglerat524 - Jun 2, 2013 at 6:47 PM

How in the hell do you get swept by the Marlins? That’s like getting beat up by a girl. 3 straight days.

• historiophiliac - Jun 2, 2013 at 6:50 PM

Is that what happened to you? Poor rat. Was it the 3rd day that broke you?

• junglerat524 - Jun 2, 2013 at 7:30 PM

I’m betting you’re 13 right?

• historiophiliac - Jun 2, 2013 at 7:31 PM

I don’t wanna scare you. I’m not gonna hit you. I promise.

• junglerat524 - Jun 2, 2013 at 7:38 PM

WTF?

• paperlions - Jun 2, 2013 at 8:19 PM

I don’t watch To Catch a Predator, but if I did, it appears that I would have seen junglerat on an episode.

• Old Gator - Jun 2, 2013 at 8:23 PM

Histy, you were too sophisticated for jungleur. You may already of hurt his head. It would be much simpler to cede him his point about getting swept by the Feesh. I mean, some things are just archetypally humiliating, and that’s one of ‘em. Or, to serve the ball back to your side of the net, what happened to the Mutts this weekend should be added to the next printing of The March of Folly as an appendix.

• historiophiliac - Jun 3, 2013 at 12:13 AM

OG, I have a thing for the Theater of the Absurd, which your Feesh could possibly satisfy were we to spin the bottle juuuust so and that stenchified Little Dictator enter stage right shitting pennies as he crossed. We could savor the unfolding with a pot of beans, unnecessary, while we watch rat-on-rat action here. Or not.

6. raysfan1 - Jun 2, 2013 at 6:52 PM

The Mets are fighting to keep their 51-year-old record.

• thebadguyswon - Jun 2, 2013 at 8:02 PM

Wake me up when the Rays win a World Series.

• Old Gator - Jun 2, 2013 at 8:48 PM

I hadn’t thought of that. Does MLB have a fine for flopping? Let the Heat share the wealth.

7. dukepatrol - Jun 2, 2013 at 7:25 PM

The most pathetic weekend of baseball in modern Mets history. Sandy Alderson and the Wilpons have brought us a wasted summer of baseball.

• proudlycanadian - Jun 2, 2013 at 7:28 PM

They still have the sweep of the Yankees to remember. I am sure that the Mets players will always have sweet dreams over that sweep.

• natslady - Jun 2, 2013 at 10:23 PM

Every year the Mets have something to remember, things like Santana’s no hitter and R.A. Dickey’s Cy Young, now a sweep of the Yankees.

• Old Gator - Jun 2, 2013 at 8:09 PM

You can bemoan lost weekends all you want. Here in Macondo, we have to bemoan lost markets.

• mazblast - Jun 2, 2013 at 8:44 PM

There’s always 2007 to consider. Up 2.5 in the East with a week to go. Swept at home by the hapless Nationals. Lost a makeup game at home to St. Louis. Split the first two games at home with the hapless Marlins, but still with a chance on Sunday with ace Tom Glavine on the mound. He gets pummeled for seven runs in a third of an inning, Mets lose 8-1, division pennant gone.

I’m no Mets fan but I felt for their long-suffering fans that day.

• Old Gator - Jun 2, 2013 at 8:54 PM

I remember that game well. Back then I hadn’t yet given up on this franchise under the leaden stewardship of Scrooge McLoria, but I figured they had a shot at playing the spoiler. I recall being shocked that Glavine, even though clearly past his prime, would implode like that. Every pitch he threw hungeth forth a sign that read “crush me.” I don’t know that I felt for the Mutts fans all that much, but I definitely felt for Tom Glavine, one of those few ballplayers I could honestly say I felt honored to have seen pitch.

8. sdelmonte - Jun 2, 2013 at 7:42 PM

I hate to say “same old Mets.”

But…yeah. Same old Mets. I still love them, but it’s never easy.

• mazblast - Jun 2, 2013 at 8:30 PM

This Pirates fan sympathizes with you. 20 years and counting.

OTOH, which would you rather have–a team that sucks from the outset, or one that, like the Pirates of 2011 and 2012, looks really good through August, then hits itself with a can of WhuppA**?

• sdelmonte - Jun 2, 2013 at 9:13 PM

The latter. The Mets were sort of like that last year, giving us rays of hope for a while. Now, it’s just not fun at all.

9. nbjays - Jun 2, 2013 at 8:28 PM

So you are saying the shifty, underhanded Mets actually stooped to throwing an entire series to the Feesh in order to force the Feesh into winning more games, just to preserve the Mets’ dubious “record” from 1962? How low can you go?

• Old Gator - Jun 2, 2013 at 8:49 PM

Before 1969 there actually was an expression abroad in the game: there’s nothing lower than a Met in a slump.

10. randygnyc - Jun 2, 2013 at 9:22 PM

The mets are suffering from the “curse of Willie Randolph”. They will never win anything until they make that right. They’ll have to crawl on their hands and knees while begging his forgiveness.

• Old Gator - Jun 2, 2013 at 10:23 PM

(High five)

True. A classless organization whose players quit on themselves and their fans, scapegoating a manager who was much too classy for them while being led by an opportunistic backstabber who proved conclusively that he and his clubhouse were only looking for excuses.

• mazblast - Jun 3, 2013 at 12:26 AM

I remember the Mets GM (Omar?) flying to LA to fire Willie one game into a cross-country road trip when he could have just as easily done it at home before the road trip, since it was obvious the decision was already made. It defined “classless”, but also was so…Mets.

11. mantastic54 - Jun 2, 2013 at 9:52 PM

During the game the showed a graphic that 29 percent of the runs the marlins have scored this year have been in the 9 games they played vs the mets. Between ending the mets season in 07 and 08 and now this I feel the same way when the mets play the marlins that I did when the mets played the braves at turner field during their run of division titles

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3621)