Matt Williams and Jeff Samardzija exchanged words

Jun 2, 2013, 10:00 AM EST

Arizona Diamondbacks v Chicago Cubs Getty Images

From the annals of “really?” comes an inexplicable little tiff from the Diamondbacks-Cubs game.

Diamondbacks third base coach Matt Williams was leaving the field after the third out of an inning. Here’s what Williams said happened:

Samardzija yelled at him, “What are you looking at?”

Williams said he replied, “I’m not looking at you.”

“I have no idea,” Williams said when asked why Samardzija would say that to him. “I didn’t say a word to the man and I don’t have any respect for that. I have no respect for him showing somebody up on the field.”

I wish he would have said “I’m looking at a guy who has no idea how bad his bullpen is going to treat him later in the game … you are a figurative walking corpse right now … God be with ye.”

1. hoopmatch - Jun 2, 2013 at 10:14 AM

Maybe Jeff had just watched “Taxi Driver” the night before…

2. gbrim - Jun 2, 2013 at 11:09 AM

Saw a glimpse of this live, just before the break for a commercial. Looked like Samardzija started it, although I can’t say for sure from just a glimpse. Players jawing at other players is one thing–starting something with umps or opposing coaches is way out of bounds. Keep the ‘football mentality’ under control between innings, Mr S.

3. tfbuckfutter - Jun 2, 2013 at 11:21 AM

If you have ever said “What are you looking at?” in any way other than curiously because you’re afraid you might be missing out on viewing something interesting….you’re an asshole.

• steelpenbucs87 - Jun 3, 2013 at 3:26 PM

Who do you think your talking to?

… I’ll show myself out.

4. mpzz - Jun 2, 2013 at 11:53 AM

This story isn’t worth the cyberspace it was written on.

• bigmeechy74 - Jun 2, 2013 at 1:52 PM

This story isn’t worth an arcade version of cyberball

5. drewsylvania - Jun 2, 2013 at 12:02 PM

Too many red bulls…

6. newyorkshets - Jun 2, 2013 at 12:10 PM

The joke is on Samardzija, he plays for the pathetic cubs. What a pos.

7. 11thstreetmafia - Jun 2, 2013 at 12:14 PM

If you watched the game, you seen missed calls at first base for two consecutive innings. You also seen Matt Williams jumping up and down like he just won the lottery after both calls. That is what irked the Shark.

• sdsockers - Jun 2, 2013 at 6:02 PM

“You seen”? Really? Use English much?

8. randygnyc - Jun 2, 2013 at 1:32 PM

Tfbuck- ^this is spot on. A big FU to anyone who has ever uttered these words in this context.

9. mazblast - Jun 2, 2013 at 1:45 PM

Shark, you may have been a football player at God Tech, but you were just a WR. Williams could probably kick your a** if you start something. So cool it and focus on your current job, at which you’re not bad even if you’re on a really bad team.

10. jamieaadams - Jun 2, 2013 at 2:16 PM

Maybe Williams was trying to figure out how to spell “Samardzija.”

11. pwt3 - Jun 2, 2013 at 2:22 PM

mazblast, he was a 6’5, 230 pound all-american WR. I’m pretty sure he’d be fine. Matt Williams is much smaller now that he’s not playing and doesn’t keep up with his steroid regimen.

12. baseballisboring - Jun 2, 2013 at 4:43 PM

Typical alpha male jock…27 is way too old for that kinda shit.

• tfbuckfutter - Jun 2, 2013 at 5:06 PM

27 is also way too old to try and fail to grow a mustache.

My friend Danny had a better mustache than that in the 9th grade….and his father still held him down and shaved it off because of how embarrassing it was (true story).

13. romoscollarbone - Jun 3, 2013 at 5:56 PM

Roid rage I said it.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (4684)
  2. M. Kemp (3725)
  3. M. Cabrera (2921)
  4. J. Kang (2739)
  5. M. Morse (2614)
  1. J. Upton (2613)
  2. W. Middlebrooks (2282)
  3. A. Rios (2265)