Settling the Score: Saturday’s results

Jun 2, 2013, 6:25 AM EDT

BJ UPTON

B.J. Upton has been so bad lately that dudes who are bad have been like, “damn, B.J., you’re really bad.” THAT’s how bad he’s been.  But he came through when it mattered last night.

A day after yet another benching, Upton had two hits, including a walkoff RBI single in the tenth. Sure, it was a broken bat single that could have just as easily been a 4-3 or a 9-2 putout depending on which way the ball bounced off that broken bat or how fast Jordan Schafer ran when attempting to score, but I figure Upton and the Braves will take it. You take whatever you get in this game. If you don’t believe me, ask the Brewers if they’re going to give back the gift they were given against the Phillies in the ninth inning of their game yesterday.

Here’s what else happened:

Diamondbacks 12, Cubs 4
Red Sox 11, Yankees 1
Reds 2, Pirates 0
Astros 2, Angels 0
Padres 4, Blue Jays 3

1. papalurchdxb - Jun 2, 2013 at 6:35 AM

With all of the ‘spirit of the game’ stuff that comes out when ever people look to change rules, add replay or whatever – how exactly does Seguera blatantly lying to the Umpire fit into the spirit of anything?

• paperlions - Jun 2, 2013 at 10:06 AM

It fits in right between Jeter acting like a ball that didn’t hit him did…complete with acting performance on first base as he continued to look at his wrist and shake it as if a ball everyone already knew didn’t come close to hitting him, had somehow done him harm, and “pitch framing” which is a nice way of saying that catcher try to trick the umpire into thinking that pitches are better than they were. There is no aspect of baseball in which players (all of them) don’t do whatever they can to try to get the benefit of calls.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Jun 2, 2013 at 10:16 AM

Yea, and i suppose you could also add that all Seguera did was hold up a ball, which happnes ALL the time when a player does not make the play. 99 times out of 100, the ump gets the cal right anyway. In other words, nothing Seguera did impacted the blown call.

Still, wasn’t crazy about this quote from him:

“We got a lucky break, and that’s the difference in the game,” Segura said. “We got this guy out, and we’re happy we got it”

“We got this guy out”? He was called out, yes, but you did not get him out. But again, whatever….still the umps fault 100%

• spudchukar - Jun 2, 2013 at 10:57 AM

Right on PL. The “framing” issue was the first thing that popped up in my mind too. Player’s jobs are to play the game and try every avenue to win. They aren’t umpires. It isn’t their job.

2. natslady - Jun 2, 2013 at 6:59 AM

Yeah, Craig posts on Sunday when it’s Atlanta winning. Ha!

Actually, even though the Nats lost, it was an exciting, well-played game.Too bad it had to come down to Henry, but with Stras only going 2 innings yesterday, Davey didn’t have much choice. Very frustrating to have Kimbrel on the ropes and let him skate. Fans were yelling for a squeeze, but you don’t exactly have (a) the element of surprise or (b) a fast runner on 3rd. Fernando Abad was a pleasant surprise, and Drew Storen seems to have come out of his funk.

Too, too many holes in the lineup. Werth should be back on Tuesday, which will plug one of them.

• natslady - Jun 2, 2013 at 7:03 AM

P.S. Davey not close to shaving. After 15 runs in two days, in the last three games, 0, 3, 1. Opponents: 2,2,2. Some very good pitching wasted.

• historiophiliac - Jun 2, 2013 at 10:32 AM

Yeah, I wanted to yank his chain on the homerism too. Like that was the best story from the games yesterday. Ha!

• paperlions - Jun 2, 2013 at 10:45 AM

It was probably just the only one he already knew…so…I guess it was the best story he was aware of.

• historiophiliac - Jun 2, 2013 at 11:01 AM

Well, at least he tossed you guys something so you can re-argue about replay again today.

• indaburg - Jun 2, 2013 at 11:29 AM

A good B.J. Is definitely reason to post on a Sunday morning.

I mean, the poor boy has been awful all year.

• historiophiliac - Jun 2, 2013 at 11:33 AM

Yeah, he’s definitely blown. Good for him.

• indaburg - Jun 2, 2013 at 12:00 PM

Gotcha. It’s not the first time I’ve heard that. I don’t look like one though. ;-)

• paperlions - Jun 2, 2013 at 11:39 AM

Damn you guys are randy this morning.

• indaburg - Jun 2, 2013 at 12:11 PM

This morning? ‘lions, you just haven’t been paying attention…

• paperlions - Jun 2, 2013 at 2:51 PM

I guess not.

3. Old Gator - Jun 2, 2013 at 8:20 AM

I took a day orf yesterday to show a visiting Australian friend of ours who evinces no interest whatsoever in a bottom-dwelling baseball team around Key West. Up at the first rumor of sunlight, a languid drive down the overseas highway, vistas of turquoise waters, bright sunshine, lobster eggs benedict, creole smoked mahi mahi with cornbread and the frequent winner of the world’s best key lime pie contest at Blue Heaven, strolling the tourist infested backstreets of Old Town, a whiff of cat piss whilst walking by Hemingway House, a couple of virgin pina coladas on the back deck of Louie’s Key West, a leisurely stroll down a couple of paths on Big Pine Key to take some pictures of little Key deer, and then the drive back up US1 just ahead of the next episode of monsoon rain, punctuated by a quick stop at Alabama Jack’s at the foot of the Card Sound Bridge for conch fritters before coming home and bothering to check the scores. Not a bad way to waste a day.

The Feesh, meanwhile, apparently found in the Mutts just the weltschmerzen they required to help spald them from a nine game losing streak about as badly as I needed a day orf, even if they’ve probably used up their entire week’s allocation of runs in the process. Jose “The Kid” Fernandez was back on top of things yesterday after giving away the shop at the Tropicana Dump during his last start (in recalling which it suddenly occurs to me that Joe Maddon prolly oughtta change his name to Joe Midden – see what a day’s rest will do for ye?) gagged the Mutts, fresh from their inexplicable tushy-whacking of the Borg, and a resurgent Chris Coghlan had fun at bat as the Mutt heeters reminded their playpals from Nyorc that the locals aren’t the only team on the east coast with a rotation from Hell.

Another day of squiring our antipodean visitor around Macondo (including a quick drive-by of Macondo Banana Massacre Field, which she spotted from a distance on Friday as I was bringing her home from the airport. What’s that, she asks. I told her. It’s pretty ugly, she says – she who has learned to ignore the Sydney opera house squatting on the harbor like a half-articulated albino pillbug – doesn’t fit in with the palm trees or architecture at all, does it?

Well, I says, if you don’t think it looks wrong over there, you should see how it sits in the municipal budget.

• junglerat524 - Jun 2, 2013 at 6:52 PM

I had no idea you were gay. Not that there’s anything wrong with it.

• Old Gator - Jun 2, 2013 at 8:25 PM

No offense taken, since you clearly have no idea about anything else, either.

4. Old Gator - Jun 2, 2013 at 8:21 AM

Well, I says, if you think it looks wrong over there, you should see how it sits in the municipal budget.

• Old Gator - Jun 2, 2013 at 8:22 AM

Stupid WordPress. The second version is the correct one, and I neither know nor care how that happened. Breakfast is up.

• nbjays - Jun 2, 2013 at 8:52 AM

Great way to spend a day, Gator. Mine consisted of shuttling two kids back and forth to swimming lessons, mowing the lawn in time to avoid the rain, and then grilling burgers while battling mosquitos the size of hummingbirds. I didn’t watch the Jays lose to the Padres again but I did watch the Sawx beat up on the Empire, which sort of made up for the mosquitos.

• dlf9 - Jun 2, 2013 at 10:41 AM

An afternoon with my wonderful wife, cold beer and hot conch fritters at Alabama Jack’s is on my short list of things to do if I knew it was to be my last day on Earth.

• Old Gator - Jun 2, 2013 at 5:59 PM

Make sure to ask for a table by the water so you can watch the mama manatees float by on their backs nursing their pups. Goes well with the fritters – and the otherworldly lima bean soup.

• dlf9 - Jun 2, 2013 at 6:30 PM

Aleays sit by the water. Prefer the south end closer to the bridge. I’ll have to try the soup next time. When I haven’t gorged myself on the fritters I’ve just had fresh snapper fried light. Melts in your mouth. Unfortunately now I’m sitting in an airport lounge heading west rather than South. Damn.

• indaburg - Jun 2, 2013 at 11:45 AM

That first paragraph, and the fact that you are brilliant and I must figure out a way to siphon some of your brain (don’t worry, I’ll be gentle), is the reason why meeting you is on my list of things to do before I become nitrogen again.

The early part of my day was spent watching my 4 year old daughter in her first dance recital. I know you don’t like children, and for the most part, I agree, OG. They are born assholes. All of us are. Our job is to make them realize the world does not revolve around them. I was born an adult, and I am more childlike now than ever. My daughter tests my capacity for patience on a daily basis. I know why some alligators eat their young. But, she is beautiful, kind, and intelligent, and I can’t wait to see the future woman I have created. I was teaching her about baseball the other day, explaining to her that a player scores a “point”, a run, when he goes back home, and touches home plate. She asked with perfect innocence, “Where is his family?” He is home, after all.

“In the dugout, waiting to give him a high five,” I said.

• APBA Guy - Jun 2, 2013 at 1:17 PM

I certainly hope she doesn’t accidentally become a Pirates fan after the conflation of family and baseball. I’m still traumatized by their win over the O’s in 1979.

BTW-meeting OG is a real pleasure. He’s even more garrulous in person, as well as as exceedingly generous. The brilliance is no act.

• indaburg - Jun 2, 2013 at 1:55 PM

Oh, goodness. I hadn’t thought of that, APBA. I will keep her away from Pirates baseball. I don’t want her to know that kind of hopelessness.

Even more garrulous? I have to make my way to Macondo sooner rather than later. I love how some people here say you need a thesaurus to understand OG. I scoff. As if a simple synonym would help. What I need is the ability of a Kindle to highlight a word or phrase and look up its definition or historical context instantly.

• historiophiliac - Jun 2, 2013 at 1:25 PM

BTW, Torii returns to action today. Not that I’m weakening…

• indaburg - Jun 2, 2013 at 2:06 PM

Woman, thy name is weakness. It’s those damn dimples. Sigh.

I’d love to see him actually tested. I really have a feeling he’d pass.

• historiophiliac - Jun 2, 2013 at 2:15 PM

OMG, that was a really great catch crashing into the fence. And, he was messing with the ump too. Eeeee!

Must be good…must be good…must be good.

• indaburg - Jun 2, 2013 at 2:19 PM

Why be good? Please enlighten me.

• historiophiliac - Jun 2, 2013 at 2:20 PM

Wouldn’t you love to see him at a Pride parade? :D

• indaburg - Jun 2, 2013 at 2:21 PM

Yes. Yes, I would. :-) I think he would have a great time.

• historiophiliac - Jun 2, 2013 at 2:24 PM

BTW, did you notice that Craig did not give us a post to argue about that cougar website picking Wright as their cub of preference? Boooo!!!!!

• indaburg - Jun 2, 2013 at 2:43 PM

Expliquez, s’il vous plait? I’m not sure what that is about?
        Wright cub of preference?

• historiophiliac - Jun 2, 2013 at 2:47 PM

Craig tweeted a story (but didn’t write about it). Here:

• indaburg - Jun 2, 2013 at 3:27 PM

Oh, I didn’t see his tweet. Wright? Really? Eh. He’s aite. Nice guy though.

• historiophiliac - Jun 2, 2013 at 3:29 PM

He’s a cutie, but Matt Kemp is #3? Whatevs.

• unclemosesgreen - Jun 2, 2013 at 8:14 PM

I really don’t get this kind of “baseball commentary” anywhere else. Also rating “poor” or “needs work” – my understanding of non-baseball internet sites.

There is a site called Cougar Life, and older women who self-identify as “cougars” sign up to vote on who is hottest in MLB? All of the pink-hat Red Sox brigade know it’s Jacoby Ellsbury. Duh. He’s dreeeeeaaaamy

Most asshole children are not born assholes, they are made so by their asshole parents. Hell is other people (‘s asshole parenting skills.)

• indaburg - Jun 2, 2013 at 8:21 PM

Really, we are born assholes. Some of us stay assholes because we have asshole parents. We are born completely self-centered and selfish, concerned only with our own needs. By design of course–we are only babies. I don’t hold it against the little guys. We need to have our needs met instantly when we’re that young because it could be a matter of life or death. Some people though never outgrow that need to have their needs to be met instantly, hence they are assholes. There are seeds of empathy and sociability in babies, and those are the seeds we try to sow.

• unclemosesgreen - Jun 3, 2013 at 10:01 AM

Just remember this – even though we are all born assholes, none of us is born asshole-first.

• indaburg - Jun 3, 2013 at 10:03 AM

Actually… breech babies? ;-)

• unclemosesgreen - Jun 3, 2013 at 10:04 AM

I have no idea what that is – I didn’t just google it and I never saw any of those images.

Dear God.

• Old Gator - Jun 2, 2013 at 8:32 PM

Barramundi are born male and turn into females as they…uh…mature. I was talking about that with my Australian colleague while driving her around Macondo today – “This is Deco Drive. When I was a kid all these chic clubs and hotels were nursing homes and this entire part of town was a holding pen for the afterlife.” Etc. Now, it’s a sort of hominid barramundi hatchery. But then as my grandmother always used to say “two’s androgyny, three’s a crowd.”

• indaburg - Jun 3, 2013 at 4:45 AM

Your granny used to say that? Your granny was one cool chick.

5. phillyphannn83 - Jun 2, 2013 at 10:35 AM

Replay Official in the booth. NOW!!!

6. gallaghedj311 - Jun 2, 2013 at 10:51 AM

You have no idea have incredible my day became just reading about overseas highway and card sound road and Alabama Jacks (with their batter dipped conch fritters. Have a place in Marathon, OG. Going down in 16 days. Looking forward to catching a phillies game at the rum barrel in KW. I trust you took your friend to see the old gator at the blue hole on Big Pine?

• Old Gator - Jun 2, 2013 at 10:53 PM

No, unfortunately; what with rainclouds gathering to the north for the long ride home, we just had time for a short detour into the residential areas west of Useless 1 to see if we could spot some key deer. We lucked out and found a doe and fawn just a few blocks off One, and Lou got some photos. Thence homeward – Alabama Jack’s was almost an afterthought, since we took the Card Sound route instead of the eighteen mile stretch to avoid the heavy traffic up through Florida City. Of course, once you did into the conch fritters, lima bean soup and smoked fish spread….

7. historiophiliac - Jun 2, 2013 at 11:00 AM

The 4th inning of the Tigers-O’s game yesterday was crazy. V-Mart went boom! Yea! Peralta comes up…and he goes boom! Wahooo! Back to back. That was awesome. Avila comes up…and goes boom! Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!! Detroit fans are losing it, jumping up and down. I’m dancing around the living room. Wowee. Then Tuiasosopo comes up, and Hammel hits him. (Dude, why are you having a fit; you threw the pitches.) Hammel gets tossed and then he tries to argue it. Wieters helps pull him back and Buck trots out. Even my buddy who’s an O’s fan thinks it’s intentional, so I don’t know how you are going to argue that. In any case, he hit Tuiasosopo pretty high up. It got his shoulder and could’ve gotten his head had things gone slightly different. That is NOT cool. The ump made an excellent call throwing Hammel out immediately. You don’t tolerate that crap. (Also, you’re a punk for taking it out on one of our platoon guys. Or, are you still mad about his RBI in the 2nd?) Warnings get issued all around (and Verlander had to have a chat with the ump too when he came out for the bottom half of the inning). Our guys didn’t rush the field. No, instead, Garcia singles, Infante doubles, and Dirks takes a walk. With bases loaded, Cabrera comes to the plate. You know what happens. You want it to happen. Even O’s fans in the park were cheering, it was so perfect. Miggy gets his 4th career grand slam. Miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigggyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The O’s finally managed 3 outs after that but it was all lost in a haze of afterglow for me. What an inning!

• unclemosesgreen - Jun 2, 2013 at 8:16 PM

Miggy is my rotisserie captain (not to mention my personal savior) – I now refer to him as “Miggy Goes Boom!” And when I write notes or sketch out my lineup I just write MGB!

I just thought Hammel was wild, but I understand why the ump felt the need to run him, if nothing else than for domestic tranquility.

• historiophiliac - Jun 2, 2013 at 8:18 PM

I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt on that (as was Leyland the Love Guru), but it was too close to his head. You have to toss them then. Intentional or not, when it’s close to the head… Anyway, the guy is 30. He knows better.

8. spudchukar - Jun 2, 2013 at 11:34 AM

What the Cardinals have done to date is nothing short of astonishing. A win today would put them 20 games over .500 by June 2nd. Starting the year losing their starting SS (Furcal), Ace Starter (Carpenter), and closer (Motte), then losing #3 hurler (Garcia) for the year, #4 starter (Westbrook), and then first AAA call-up replacement starter (Gast).

Compounding the problem, two DL stints and little production from RBI machine David Freese, and a current shelving of 7th inning guy (Salas), and the total implosion of 2012 NL Holds leader, and set up guy Mitchell Boggs.

Gotta feel a little sorry for Memphis fans. The following players have made their big league debuts in 2013. Gast, Curtiss, Lyons, Wacha, Maness, Blazek, and Butler. Plus the roster includes still rookie statuses, of Kozma, Adams and Miller, with Kelly and Robinson barely reaching the 2nd year category.

Somebody ought to take notice.

• Old Gator - Jun 2, 2013 at 8:34 PM

Almost like the Borg, but without the dynamic drag exerted by reality.

9. APBA Guy - Jun 2, 2013 at 1:21 PM

Dan Straily has indeed turned the corner, and it’s all about fastball command. Was he always ahead in his six innings of work? It sure seemed that way. Both of Chicago’s first two hits were on 0-2 counts, a couple of mushballs that didn’t break sharply.

Poor Konerko looks like the RH version of Josh Hamilton right now: anything off-speed, low and away gets a swing without a hint of contact. The A’s are sneaking up on Texas during this hot streak. No hint of PASS.

10. beefytrout - Jun 2, 2013 at 2:21 PM

• Old Gator - Jun 2, 2013 at 8:33 PM

I’m going to guess that you just had some sort of accident with your clipboard.

Can Angels recoup loss of Richards?
  1. R. Castillo (4614)