Teams will be wearing some ugly hats on the Fourth of July

Jun 2, 2013, 10:52 AM EDT

Spare me your patriotic talk. Not everything that has the stars and stripes on it is worthy of praise. And just because Major League Baseball is, once again, putting the stars and stripes on ballplayers’ caps on the Fourth of July doesn’t mean we have to pretend that these caps don’t look ugly. Via UniWatch:

source:

It’s not even the flag pattern that’s the problem. It’s the white/gray, which very rarely looks good on a cap. Well, the flag is a problem on Chief Wahoo. I’m sure native Americans love having the stars and stripes superimposed over the racist logo to give it the sheen of a national endorsement.

They make and sell these every year. And I don’t think they’d keep selling them unless people were buying them. But I can’t remember ever seeing anyone wearing these caps out in the world, can you?

1. barkleyblows - Jun 2, 2013 at 2:25 PM

Typical liberal hacks who think everything is racist. Grow up scumbags!!

• blabidibla - Jun 2, 2013 at 3:11 PM

There is no doubt Chief Wahoo is a racist image. Growing up would include recognizing truth.

• rufuscornpone - Jun 2, 2013 at 5:52 PM

Yeah, but some things *are* racist. Like the bright-red smiling cartoon Indian logo complete with feather.

• Old Gator - Jun 2, 2013 at 8:38 PM

Some folks also think all right wingers are racist scumbags. I don’t. But, as in the case of Chief Wahoo, who is a profoundly racist icon by any stretch of the imagination, I am firmly convinced by your gutter-level post that indeed you are.

2. ndnut - Jun 2, 2013 at 4:56 PM

Braves, Cheifs, etc. can stay, as they are titles of honor. Indians, Redskins, etc. should go as they are racist generalizations. Tribe names (Seminole, Sioux) are on the fence and shoul only be used with the blessing of that Tribe/Nation.

3. ramblingalb - Jun 2, 2013 at 7:53 PM

I admit, the more he posts, I’m not sure if Craig hates the free market, any sign of loving one’s country, or both.

He thinks they’re ugly, so they should be worn or sold? He thinks acts of patriotism are mindless, so no one should buy a red, white, and blue Old Navy T shirt or a rw&b MLB cap?

If nothing else, maybe Craig should write some sort of behavioral guidebook so us mere commoners can base our life’s journey on his vastly superior opinions.

• Old Gator - Jun 2, 2013 at 8:41 PM

I don’t see any evidence that Craig hates the free market or that he hates “any sign of loving one’s country.” I suppose you completely missed his objections to the commercialization or trivialization of Memorial Day. I think your problem is that, because you can’t think clearly on your own two feet, you have to reproduce Faux News platitudes in response to any opinion that appears to differe with your own – simply because rote repetition is all you’re capable of doing.

• jwbiii - Jun 2, 2013 at 10:22 PM

The commodification of patriotism. Remember the Buycentennial Sellabration?

4. forsch31 - Jun 2, 2013 at 8:25 PM

Actually, I think most of them look pretty neat. It really depends on the logo. Heh…different strokes for different folks.

Thou, in the thumbnail, Chief Wahoo now looks like a Sambo.

5. Old Gator - Jun 2, 2013 at 8:44 PM

I don’t see here amongst the constellated icons what Scrooge McLoria plans to do with the gonorrhea discharge colored Feesh “M.” I just hope that whatever it is, Scrooge hasn’t noticed the hideous new American Airlines tail flag design yet.

6. stlouis1baseball - Jun 3, 2013 at 9:42 AM

I am in the minority here as I don’t think the hats look bad at all.
    Typically, I am for more of a traditionalist with these things.
    The camo hats, the stars and stripes, alternative team colors., etc… Don’t like them.
    These? For some reason I kinda’ like them.
    Now that I consider it…I most likely like them because C.C. doesn’t like them.
    Which reminds me…
    C.C.:
    That link was un-called for and completely over the top. Totally unnecessary.
    I hope to see you at a Cardinals/Reds game in Cincinnati sometime.
    After exchanging pleasantries…the 1st thing I am going to do is give you the hardest titty twister you have ever had in your life.

7. 66orioles - Jun 3, 2013 at 6:30 PM

Butt ugly is the kindest compliment I can give.

Just another attempt to wring out more merchandise dollars from the fan.

8. brandonmauk - Jun 3, 2013 at 10:53 PM

If the Indians’ logo is already offensive, why would it be any different (worse) because it has the red white and blue?

Do Royals or A's have the edge tonight?
  1. D. Jeter (3304)