Jun 2, 2013, 11:33 AM EDT
Part of the reason the Yankees were so good in April and much of May was because they were getting great performances from unexpected players. Like Vernon Wells, who was smacking the ball around to the tune of .300/.366/.544 in the season’s first month but came crashing back to Earth to hit .221/.250/.365 in May. Last night he went 0-for-4 in a horrendous loss to the Sox and that season-long OBP is now at an even .300.
“I just have to ride it out,” Wells said, who went 0-for-4. “I know I can get back to where I was that first month or so, I just have to get back to it.”
If I’m the Yankees I want Wells to think that he can get back to where he was the first month. Indeed, I don’t want my players ever looking back over their career numbers to assess whether or not such things are likely or possible. I want them to do their job and feel like they’re capable of an All-Star performance every day out.
But we’re not Wells or the Yankees. And we all can look back and see that April was an anomaly. And that while he’s had some good seasons here or there, the new normal for Wells is a lot closer to what he’s hitting now than what he was hitting a month ago. Indeed, the best indicator of what a player is ever going to do is what he’s done a lot of recently.
It’s great for the Yankees that they got a great month out of the guy, but now it’s back to reality for Vernon Wells.
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 12
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 52
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 26
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 73
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)