Jun 3, 2013, 9:25 PM EDT
Jordan Bastian of MLB.com reports that Asdrubal Cabrera left tonight’s game against the Yankees with a strained right quad. He injured himself while running to first base on a ground out in the fifth inning.
No word on the severity of the injury, but the quad has been a nagging issue with Cabrera dating back to late April. Mike Aviles would likely handle starting shortstop duties if the Indians decide to place him on the disabled list.
Cabrera, 27, is batting .254/.311/.434 with five home runs, 25 RBI, five stolen bases and a .745 OPS in 53 games this season.
- Rays play Saturday’s game against the Blue Jays under protest 0
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 10
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 5
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 33
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 242
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 96
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (242)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (86)