Jun 3, 2013, 9:25 PM EDT
Jordan Bastian of MLB.com reports that Asdrubal Cabrera left tonight’s game against the Yankees with a strained right quad. He injured himself while running to first base on a ground out in the fifth inning.
No word on the severity of the injury, but the quad has been a nagging issue with Cabrera dating back to late April. Mike Aviles would likely handle starting shortstop duties if the Indians decide to place him on the disabled list.
Cabrera, 27, is batting .254/.311/.434 with five home runs, 25 RBI, five stolen bases and a .745 OPS in 53 games this season.
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 329
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 66
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 43
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 4
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 149
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 44
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (329)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (159)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)