Jun 3, 2013, 12:16 PM EDT
Atlanta designated Juan Francisco for assignment last week and today the Braves traded him to the Brewers for minor leaguer Thomas Keeling. Milwaukee also called up second baseman Scooter Gennett from Triple-A.
Francisco has been exclusively a third baseman in the majors, but given how awful the Brewers’ production has been at first base he should see time there until Corey Hart returns. Part of that lack of first base production, 36-year-old Alex Gonzalez, was released to make room on the roster for Francisco. If nothing else Francisco adds some left-handed power to the mix, but he’s also a career .254 hitter with a lousy .299 on-base percentage and 164/29 K/BB ratio.
Gennett could push the struggling Rickie Weeks at second base, although he’s hardly a top prospect. At age 23 he was hitting .297 with one homer and a .719 OPS in 50 games at Triple-A and Gennett had similar numbers with a .293 batting average, five homers, and a .714 OPS in 133 games at Double-A last season.
Keeling is a non-prospect and the 25-year-old former 18th-round pick has a 6.26 ERA as a pro.
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 1
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 19
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 13
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 11
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 36
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 11
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 42
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 186
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (186)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)