Jun 3, 2013, 7:31 PM EDT
Lots of movement for the last-place Dodgers as they prepare to begin a three-game series tonight against the Padres.
Carl Crawford, who suffered a strained right hamstring on Saturday, has officially landed on the 15-day disabled list. The move clears a spot for right-hander Stephen Fife on the active roster. Fife will make the start tonight after left-hander Chris Capuano had to be scratched due to a strained triceps muscle.
Oh, but that’s not all. Yasiel Puig, who was called up from Double-A Chattanooga yesterday, will make his major league debut tonight in right field. And the Dodgers aren’t easing him into things. He’s batting leadoff. With Puig in right field, Andre Ethier will make his second start in center field in the past week.
Eric Stephen of the excellent True Blue LA notes that the last Dodger to start out of the leadoff spot in his MLB debut was Jose Offerman on August 19, 1990. He homered in his first at-bat. No pressure or anything.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (84)