Jun 3, 2013, 7:31 PM EDT
Lots of movement for the last-place Dodgers as they prepare to begin a three-game series tonight against the Padres.
Carl Crawford, who suffered a strained right hamstring on Saturday, has officially landed on the 15-day disabled list. The move clears a spot for right-hander Stephen Fife on the active roster. Fife will make the start tonight after left-hander Chris Capuano had to be scratched due to a strained triceps muscle.
Oh, but that’s not all. Yasiel Puig, who was called up from Double-A Chattanooga yesterday, will make his major league debut tonight in right field. And the Dodgers aren’t easing him into things. He’s batting leadoff. With Puig in right field, Andre Ethier will make his second start in center field in the past week.
Eric Stephen of the excellent True Blue LA notes that the last Dodger to start out of the leadoff spot in his MLB debut was Jose Offerman on August 19, 1990. He homered in his first at-bat. No pressure or anything.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 45
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 123
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 86
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 164
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (202)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (164)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (123)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (123)