Carlos Zambrano throws six shutout innings, waits for the Phillies to call

Jun 3, 2013, 10:15 AM EDT

Carlos Zambrano AP

Carlos Zambrano, who last week insisted he was ready to join the Phillies’ rotation, tossed six shutout innings yesterday at Single-A.

That gives Zambrano a total of 10.1 scoreless innings in two starts for Clearwater, although his 5/4 K/BB ratio isn’t impressive. He’s induced a ton of ground balls, hasn’t given up a homer, and opponents are hitting just .184.

Zambrano can opt out of his minor-league contract on July 1 if he hasn’t been added to the Phillies’ roster by then, but indicated to Adam Berry of MLB.com that he’s willing to show a little more patience:

I’m going to Double-A or Triple-A. And after that, I think I will be ready and I will wait for the call. … Whatever they want me to do–one more outing, whatever. I’m ready to pitch in the big leagues.

Berry reports that Zambrano was working at 90 miles per hour with his sinker and he threw 78 pitches overall, but it’s hard to blame the Phillies for not fully buying into Zambrano immediately based on two Single-A starts given how poorly he’s pitched for the past two seasons.

1. proudlycanadian - Jun 3, 2013 at 10:18 AM

It is just Single A after all. Let him try Triple A hitters.

2. DelawarePhilliesFan - Jun 3, 2013 at 10:25 AM

Single A, Triple A, whatever. I believe his arm may (may) be ready. I am worried about the head!

• badintent - Jun 4, 2013 at 1:24 AM

Head missing bi-polar meds., brain cells, Prozac, brain cells, but tengo mucho tequila worms

3. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Jun 3, 2013 at 10:26 AM

“…given how poorly he’s pitched for the past two seasons.”

Z the last 2 seasons: 16-17 with a 4.70ERA (approx). Better in ’12 than ’11, but much better in ’10.
    Hamels this season: 1-9 with a 4.86 ERA

4. jcmeyer10 - Jun 3, 2013 at 11:57 AM

Scene: Carlos sits nervously near a phone.

CZ: *Stares nervously at phone on desk*. “They must have lost my number, yes that’s it!” *Picks up phone, and puts it down instantly* “C’mon man, hold it together, we don’t want to look desperate”

Curtain drops on CZ crying softly.

5. Jonny 5 - Jun 3, 2013 at 12:34 PM

The way that Manuel likes to use starting pitchers to pinch run, he could be up any day now.

6. Jonny 5 - Jun 3, 2013 at 1:37 PM

The Phills will call him up. They almost have to.

1. M. Bumgarner (3953)