Jun 3, 2013, 10:01 PM EDT
Now that Brandon McCarthy is sidelined with a shoulder injury, left-hander Tyler Skaggs will get a chance to fill his spot in Arizona’s rotation.
According to Steve Gilbert of MLB.com, Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson confirmed this evening that Skaggs will be called up from Triple-A Reno to start tomorrow against the Cardinals. McCarthy was scheduled to undergo an MRI today to determine whether he has a stress fracture in his shoulder, so it’s unclear how long Skaggs will be asked to fill in.
Skaggs was very impressive in a spot start during a doubleheader last Monday against the Rangers, striking out a career-high nine over six scoreless innings. Ranked as the No. 12 prospect in the game by Baseball America this spring, the 21-year-old southpaw owns a 5.23 ERA and 54/17 K/BB ratio in 51 2/3 innings over nine starts this season in Triple A.
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 0
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 6
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 24
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (114)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)