Jun 3, 2013, 10:01 PM EST
Now that Brandon McCarthy is sidelined with a shoulder injury, left-hander Tyler Skaggs will get a chance to fill his spot in Arizona’s rotation.
According to Steve Gilbert of MLB.com, Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson confirmed this evening that Skaggs will be called up from Triple-A Reno to start tomorrow against the Cardinals. McCarthy was scheduled to undergo an MRI today to determine whether he has a stress fracture in his shoulder, so it’s unclear how long Skaggs will be asked to fill in.
Skaggs was very impressive in a spot start during a doubleheader last Monday against the Rangers, striking out a career-high nine over six scoreless innings. Ranked as the No. 12 prospect in the game by Baseball America this spring, the 21-year-old southpaw owns a 5.23 ERA and 54/17 K/BB ratio in 51 2/3 innings over nine starts this season in Triple A.
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 290
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (290)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)