Jun 3, 2013, 10:01 PM EDT
Now that Brandon McCarthy is sidelined with a shoulder injury, left-hander Tyler Skaggs will get a chance to fill his spot in Arizona’s rotation.
According to Steve Gilbert of MLB.com, Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson confirmed this evening that Skaggs will be called up from Triple-A Reno to start tomorrow against the Cardinals. McCarthy was scheduled to undergo an MRI today to determine whether he has a stress fracture in his shoulder, so it’s unclear how long Skaggs will be asked to fill in.
Skaggs was very impressive in a spot start during a doubleheader last Monday against the Rangers, striking out a career-high nine over six scoreless innings. Ranked as the No. 12 prospect in the game by Baseball America this spring, the 21-year-old southpaw owns a 5.23 ERA and 54/17 K/BB ratio in 51 2/3 innings over nine starts this season in Triple A.
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 2
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 37
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? 119
- Video: Watch Travis Ishikawa’s pennant-winning homer 13
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer 79
- NLCS, Game 5: Cardinals vs. Giants lineups 30
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (119)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (91)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)
- Quit making a big deal out of anomalies. Most of what happens is meaningless. (82)