Jun 3, 2013, 10:01 PM EDT
Now that Brandon McCarthy is sidelined with a shoulder injury, left-hander Tyler Skaggs will get a chance to fill his spot in Arizona’s rotation.
According to Steve Gilbert of MLB.com, Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson confirmed this evening that Skaggs will be called up from Triple-A Reno to start tomorrow against the Cardinals. McCarthy was scheduled to undergo an MRI today to determine whether he has a stress fracture in his shoulder, so it’s unclear how long Skaggs will be asked to fill in.
Skaggs was very impressive in a spot start during a doubleheader last Monday against the Rangers, striking out a career-high nine over six scoreless innings. Ranked as the No. 12 prospect in the game by Baseball America this spring, the 21-year-old southpaw owns a 5.23 ERA and 54/17 K/BB ratio in 51 2/3 innings over nine starts this season in Triple A.
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 42
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 14
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- Contact and controversy in the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game 54
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)