Jun 3, 2013, 10:01 PM EDT
Now that Brandon McCarthy is sidelined with a shoulder injury, left-hander Tyler Skaggs will get a chance to fill his spot in Arizona’s rotation.
According to Steve Gilbert of MLB.com, Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson confirmed this evening that Skaggs will be called up from Triple-A Reno to start tomorrow against the Cardinals. McCarthy was scheduled to undergo an MRI today to determine whether he has a stress fracture in his shoulder, so it’s unclear how long Skaggs will be asked to fill in.
Skaggs was very impressive in a spot start during a doubleheader last Monday against the Rangers, striking out a career-high nine over six scoreless innings. Ranked as the No. 12 prospect in the game by Baseball America this spring, the 21-year-old southpaw owns a 5.23 ERA and 54/17 K/BB ratio in 51 2/3 innings over nine starts this season in Triple A.
- The Rockies “aren’t looking around very hard” for a trade of star shortstop Troy Tulowitzki 13
- Jury finds the Dodgers partially negligent, awards $18 million to Bryan Stow 41
- Masahiro Tanaka injured: Yankees ace to undergo an MRI exam on his right arm 60
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing 99
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 64
- Cardinals “looking for offense” … not Jake Peavy 31
- 2014 Home Run Derby participants … 28
- Billy Beane: The age of “baseball insiders” vs. “baseball outsiders” will soon be over 58
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (126)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (101)
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing (99)