HBT Weekend Wrap

Jun 3, 2013, 8:23 AM EDT

At the pool

My kids started their summer vacation on Friday. Two hours into their first day without school my son told me he was bored. After that, and my extended “you have no reason to be bored, there are kids all over the world who would love to have all of the things and advantages you’ve had” speech, I realized that my plan to take the kids to the pool on Saturday was going to appear as if I was caving in to his spoiled behavior.  But I took them to the pool anyway, with a preface of “I was going to do this anyway, do NOT think that we’re going to the pool because you whined all day.”  Which I’m sure he ignored.

It’s gonna be a long, long summer. Here’s what else happened this weekend:

OK, since I wrote that opening paragraph I made my son clean the cats’ litter boxes. So I feel a bit more like a responsible parent.

1. heyblueyoustink - Jun 3, 2013 at 8:45 AM

“cats’ litter boxes”

• Old Gator - Jun 3, 2013 at 10:06 AM

Prig.

• heyblueyoustink - Jun 3, 2013 at 10:20 AM

Since birth.

2. unclemosesgreen - Jun 3, 2013 at 8:51 AM

Here’s what I tell my nieces and nephews – boredom is nothing more than a failure of effort or imagination. Let’s do something awesome.

• historiophiliac - Jun 3, 2013 at 9:47 AM

Really? I just say go bother your mother.

• unclemosesgreen - Jun 3, 2013 at 10:01 AM

If Unk Mo is there, usually that means Mom is not.

When they can’t come up with awesome ideas I either take it outside or start coming up with less-than-awesome ideas on purpose like ‘let’s sweep and mop the kitchen – Mom will be so happy!” This tends to activate their idea-generation skills quickly.

• historiophiliac - Jun 3, 2013 at 10:05 AM

I kid. I’m good with mine (if annoying)…except for that one time my niece stayed with me when she was 6. I was trying to finish something on my computer so we could go to the zoo and it was NOT going right. I finally got it done and turned around to say we could go now. My niece was standing there blinking, and she said, “Aunt Laura, you said so many bad words.” Oops!

• unclemosesgreen - Jun 3, 2013 at 11:27 AM

Unk Mo tends to work a little blue too, what are you going to do.

• heyblueyoustink - Jun 3, 2013 at 10:30 AM

“you said so many bad words”

Around my friends who have decided to raise children, I can’t tell you how many cuss jar deposits I’ve had to make.

• historiophiliac - Jun 3, 2013 at 10:35 AM

I don’t say anything they don’t hear from their father. They understand now to see me as a cautionary tale. My niece is older now, but she did tell me that her mother said we couldn’t be FB friends because I post things that are inappropriate for children. lol It’s just as well. I was friends with my nephew for a bit and had to dump him for all the teenage drama in my news feed. Urgh. I watch myself around my friends’ kids though.

• heyblueyoustink - Jun 3, 2013 at 10:49 AM

Yeah, no kids on my FB feed, deifnitely not appopriate kids, and some adults.

And when in the building at work, I never come anywhere near swearing, Outside, I naturally curse like i’m from North Philly, because i’m from North Philly. It’s funny, I don’t even think about it, it just happens, usually the wide eyes or the hand over the mouth of the kid is my dead give away that I need to fork some cash over.

Damn families and their children and cuss jars.

• historiophiliac - Jun 3, 2013 at 10:56 AM

The hard thing is that there are all new words that you can’t say, and I’m not familiar with the list. For example, the kids tell me that “shut up” is now forbidden (even in jest). “Crap” is now out too, and I’m not even supposed to say “h-e-double hockey sticks” b/c it’s the same as saying it. (What?)

Parents are horrible.

3. number42is1 - Jun 3, 2013 at 9:29 AM

My kids still have 3 more weeks of school… when does the new school year begin for yours?

4. Old Gator - Jun 3, 2013 at 10:07 AM