How old is the oldest Yankees fan?

Jun 3, 2013, 11:02 AM EDT

Bernando LaPallo, Derek Jeter

There was a story over the weekend about one Bernando LaPallo, a Yankees fan who showed up at the ballpark on Saturday and who claims to be 111 years-old. That’s really, really old. If he really were that age he’d be able to tell “if The Boss were alive” stories about the time before The Boss was actually alive.

Thing is, he may not be that age:

A baseball fan who says he’s 111 years old and was saluted by the New York Yankees on the field this weekend has no proof of his age … a consultant with Guinness World Records who specializes in validating the ages of older people said public records show LaPallo was born in 1910, not on Aug. 17, 1901.

I presume those public records are from newspaper reports about the Phillies signing him to a minor league deal a couple of years ago.

Either way, that’s still pretty damn old. And the guy still looks pretty damn good for 102 as opposed to 111. And regardless of his exact age, it’s simply good to find a guy who became a Yankees fan before 1995 or so. The ones with perspective are far easier to talk to.

1. spudchukar - Jun 3, 2013 at 11:13 AM

Was watching when the Fox broadcast pictured him and followed with the story. I was skeptical then. But who knows. He looks great for 102, and if he fudged his age, or simply forgot it is understandable. Like to hear some of his stories. Yes, I said it. A Yankee fan I would like to listen to.

• spudchukar - Jun 3, 2013 at 11:20 AM

And to the Fox TV executive who decided that people in Central Idaho, would prefer to watch the NY/Bos game rather than, say the St. Louis/San Francisco, or Ari/Chi you either need a geography lesson, or recognize the sphere of influence of the Nation vs. the Universe doesn’t extend as far as you might think.

• bigharold - Jun 3, 2013 at 12:14 PM

“the sphere of influence of the Nation vs. the Universe doesn’t extend as far as you might think.”

Are you sure about that? I thought the Universe was the center of the universe.

• 18thstreet - Jun 3, 2013 at 12:35 PM

They should put the question to an internet vote at the Fox affiliate’s website.

I used to care about the NFL, but it always drove me crazy that (living in DC), local Fox (or the NFL?) just assumed that for the non-Redskins game, I’d rather watch the division rivals instead of the best available match-up.

It seems like such a solvable problem: just ask us. We’ll tell you which game we’d rather watch. And, as a bonus, you’d get web traffic.

• caeser12 - Jun 3, 2013 at 3:23 PM

As a Yankees Fan I totally agree with you on those who need a geography lesson. It’s probably the same people who believe that the Dallas Cowboys, belong in the NFC EAST, The INDIANAPOLIS Colts should be in the South, Baltimore Ravens in the NORTH, Miami Dolphins in the EAST. It’s contagious

• stoutfiles - Jun 3, 2013 at 12:02 PM

I can understand forgetting stories, but this guy has been telling stories about how he saw games at Hilltop Park. There’s forgetting stuff, and then there’s just plain lying.

• bigleagues - Jun 3, 2013 at 8:48 PM

My favorite line in a long time.

BRAVO, Craig! BRAVO!

2. historiophiliac - Jun 3, 2013 at 11:19 AM

Man, when you’re that old, you can forget almost a decade, and you’re still good.

3. aceshigh11 - Jun 3, 2013 at 11:49 AM

Looks like we’ve got another Kenyan usurper.

4. schmedley69 - Jun 3, 2013 at 12:17 PM

It came down to signing this guy or BJ Upton. Looks like the Phillies made the right call.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Jun 3, 2013 at 3:05 PM

Ohhhhhhhhh! And Mr. Clean gets slammed!

5. Jonny 5 - Jun 3, 2013 at 12:32 PM

As old as he feels? Obviously.

6. paperlions - Jun 3, 2013 at 12:41 PM

Too bad he wasn’t born in 1901….he’d be the same age as the Yankees, which would be a pretty cool thing to be able to say. I am older than the Blue Jays, Mariners, Marlins, Rockies, Rays, and Diamond backs….and am the same age as 4 other teams (though, I suppose the franchises existed before I was born, they had yet to play a game)….but that isn’t nearly as cool as being the same age as a storied franchise like the Yankees.

• historiophiliac - Jun 3, 2013 at 12:52 PM

Wow, that’s a serious “things-you-are-older-than” list.

• paperlions - Jun 3, 2013 at 12:52 PM

Notice that you aren’t on it. :-P

• historiophiliac - Jun 3, 2013 at 12:53 PM

We don’t have to talk about the things I am older than.

• stlouis1baseball - Jun 3, 2013 at 5:34 PM

“We don’t have to talk about the things I am older than.”

Dirt?

• historiophiliac - Jun 3, 2013 at 5:35 PM

Nah, that’s my old man.

How old are you, smarty pants? I bet you’re older than the internets too.

• stlouis1baseball - Jun 3, 2013 at 5:38 PM

You have to guess. I will say that I am older than the “internets.”

• historiophiliac - Jun 3, 2013 at 5:39 PM

ha ha

I’ll tell you mine, if you tell me yours. You’re probably early 30’s.

• stlouis1baseball - Jun 3, 2013 at 5:41 PM

No…no…no. I will show you mine…if you show me yours.
        Wait. Hold up. You said “tell” didn’t you? Sorry. I am in one of those moods today.

• historiophiliac - Jun 3, 2013 at 5:44 PM

I’m already in trouble on here. Hey, bust me outta this time out!

• stlouis1baseball - Jun 3, 2013 at 5:43 PM

You missed it by a decade. Add 10 years…and I am probably just a year or two younger.
        You? Lemme’ guess…44?

• historiophiliac - Jun 3, 2013 at 5:44 PM

Almost.

• stlouis1baseball - Jun 3, 2013 at 5:48 PM

That’s what I was “trying” to do! But you didn’t bite.
        So…does almost mean I was just a little over on the age…or a little under?
        If I was over then we are right there with one another.

• historiophiliac - Jun 3, 2013 at 5:52 PM

1 over

• stlouis1baseball - Jun 3, 2013 at 5:49 PM

What are you in trouble for?

• historiophiliac - Jun 3, 2013 at 5:52 PM

Raging at the troll. :(

• stlouis1baseball - Jun 3, 2013 at 5:54 PM

UhOh! You got an email didn’t you?
        Don’t sweat it too bad. I received one once as well.

• historiophiliac - Jun 3, 2013 at 5:57 PM

Nope, no email. Just the thumb treatment.

Rage!

• stlouis1baseball - Jun 3, 2013 at 6:02 PM

2 behind you.

• stlouis1baseball - Jun 3, 2013 at 5:39 PM

Damn…Paper. That’s freaking old! 8)

7. darthicarus - Jun 3, 2013 at 12:47 PM

Isn’t Danny Almonte almost 111 years old by now?

• largebill - Jun 3, 2013 at 1:41 PM

We’ll never know.

8. Stiller43 - Jun 3, 2013 at 12:57 PM

I hope im dead for 30 years when im 102

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Jun 3, 2013 at 3:07 PM

I think that was the original lyrics for “My Generation”

9. 13arod - Jun 3, 2013 at 2:53 PM

he looks pretty younger then 100

10. thomas844 - Jun 3, 2013 at 5:01 PM

They also apparently found out that his real name is Roberto Hernandez.

11. xmatt0926x - Jun 3, 2013 at 6:18 PM

Apparently someone in his family claims his birth certificate incorrectly showed a 1910 birthdate instead of the correct 1901. He may in fact be 111 years old. He could easily pass for 70. Cool either way. This guy has lived through it all no matter if he’s 101 or 111. Planes, cars, radio, T.V. , WW1, WW2, Babe ruth, Ty Cobb, Shoeless Joe, everything and every one.

• 1notredame1 - Jun 4, 2013 at 9:38 PM

Yeah, someone in 1901 typed the date as 1910. That’s BS. This guy is just trying to get recognition.

Who's outside looking in on playoffs?
  1. R. Castillo (2554)