Jun 3, 2013, 11:19 AM EST
Cubs starter Jeff Samardzija and Diamondbacks third base coach Matt Williams got into a weird little shouting match during Saturday’s game and no one involved seems quite sure why it happened (or at least willing to say publicly).
Asked yesterday about the incident, Arizona manager Kirk Gibson praised Samardzija’s performance and called it all “part of the game.” But then Gibson told Steve Gilbert of MLB.com:
Whatever. He didn’t get the win did he? Maybe the next time he should just shut the [expletive] up and pitch.
“Just shut the [expletive] up and pitch” would be a good choice for the Diamondbacks’ team motto if they didn’t already have “GRIT!”
- Tony Blengino says recent report on Seattle front office is “just the tip of the iceberg” 22
- Rakuten Golden Eagles appear likely to allow Masahiro Tanaka’s departure to MLB 44
- 2013 Winter Meetings Preview 21
- Matt Kemp remains “in play” for the Red Sox 56
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi 106
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (111)