Jun 3, 2013, 11:19 AM EDT
Cubs starter Jeff Samardzija and Diamondbacks third base coach Matt Williams got into a weird little shouting match during Saturday’s game and no one involved seems quite sure why it happened (or at least willing to say publicly).
Asked yesterday about the incident, Arizona manager Kirk Gibson praised Samardzija’s performance and called it all “part of the game.” But then Gibson told Steve Gilbert of MLB.com:
Whatever. He didn’t get the win did he? Maybe the next time he should just shut the [expletive] up and pitch.
“Just shut the [expletive] up and pitch” would be a good choice for the Diamondbacks’ team motto if they didn’t already have “GRIT!”
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (88)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (88)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (80)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (76)