Jun 3, 2013, 10:47 AM EDT
Reds center fielder and leadoff man Shin-Soo Choo was hit by a pitch yesterday for the 17th time this season, which leads baseball by a wide margin over Starling Marte with 12. And no one else has been hit by more than seven pitches.
Some other crazy stats to consider …
Coming into this season Choo averaged 12 hit by pitches per 150 games for his career and was never hit more than 17 times in a season.
Choo has a .441 on-base percentage, which ranks third in baseball behind Joey Votto and Miguel Cabrera. If you remove his 17 hit by pitches (and those 17 plate appearances) his on-base percentage would fall to .399.
Choo has been hit 17 times in 264 plate appearances and the rest of the Reds’ roster has been hit a combined 14 times in 1,993 plate appearances.
Choo has been hit more times than the combined totals of 13 teams and the same number of times as three other teams.
Choo is on pace to be hit 48 times, which would shatter the Reds’ record of 24 and be the third-most in the history of baseball behind only Hughie Jennings with 51 in 1896 and Ron Hunt with 50 in 1971.
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow 6
- Yadier Molina to miss 8-12 weeks with a torn thumb ligament 28
- Carlos Beltran placed on concussion disabled list after batting practice mishap 16
- Derek Jeter is the most popular MLB jersey this year 16
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 52
- The Rockies “aren’t looking around very hard” for a trade of star shortstop Troy Tulowitzki 29
- Jury finds the Dodgers partially negligent, awards $18 million to Bryan Stow 48
- Masahiro Tanaka injured: Yankees ace to undergo an MRI exam on his right arm 60
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (186)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (101)
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing (99)