Jun 3, 2013, 10:47 AM EST
Reds center fielder and leadoff man Shin-Soo Choo was hit by a pitch yesterday for the 17th time this season, which leads baseball by a wide margin over Starling Marte with 12. And no one else has been hit by more than seven pitches.
Some other crazy stats to consider …
Coming into this season Choo averaged 12 hit by pitches per 150 games for his career and was never hit more than 17 times in a season.
Choo has a .441 on-base percentage, which ranks third in baseball behind Joey Votto and Miguel Cabrera. If you remove his 17 hit by pitches (and those 17 plate appearances) his on-base percentage would fall to .399.
Choo has been hit 17 times in 264 plate appearances and the rest of the Reds’ roster has been hit a combined 14 times in 1,993 plate appearances.
Choo has been hit more times than the combined totals of 13 teams and the same number of times as three other teams.
Choo is on pace to be hit 48 times, which would shatter the Reds’ record of 24 and be the third-most in the history of baseball behind only Hughie Jennings with 51 in 1896 and Ron Hunt with 50 in 1971.
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 19
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 52
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 41
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 47
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)