Jun 3, 2013, 6:37 PM EDT
In a perfect world, Mets prospect catcher Travis d’Arnaud would be right alongside Zack Wheeler when the prized right-hander makes his major league debut later this month. That’s not going to happen, as d’Arnaud is still in recovery mode from a broken bone in his left foot, but there is a positive update to pass along.
According to Mike Puma of the New York Post, doctors have cleared d’Arnaud to begin limited workouts in Port St. Lucie, Florida. The 24-year-old backstop will still have to wear his protective boot for the time being, but he called today’s doctor visit a “huge step forward” in his recovery. However, he’s still likely multiple weeks away from game action and doesn’t figure to make his way to the majors until the second half of the season.
D’Arnaud suffered the fracture in mid-April with Triple-A Las Vegas when he was hit by a foul tip while behind the plate. Acquired from the Blue Jays over the winter in the R.A. Dickey trade, he was batting .250/.429/.472 with one home run and eight RBI in 49 plate appearances prior to the injury.
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 60
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 3
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 69
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 35
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 38
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 9
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 10
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The Royals asked a fan in Marlins gear to change his shirt last night. He refused. (86)