Milton Bradley convicted for spousal abuse, could face over seven years in prison

Jun 3, 2013, 10:44 PM EDT

Milton Bradley sitting

Following up on a story from January, the Associated Press reports that that former major league outfielder Milton Bradley was convicted today of abusing and threatening his estranged wife.

A spokesman for the Los Angeles city attorney’s office says Bradley was convicted Monday of nine misdemeanor counts, including assault with a deadly weapon and spousal battery. He faces up to 7 1/2 years in jail at his sentencing scheduled for July 2.

Prosecutors say Bradley threatened and attacked his wife five times in 2011 and 2012.

Authorities say Bradley pushed his wife against a wall and choked her after she asked him to stop smoking marijuana in front of their two children and wanted his friends to leave their home.

You can read more details in this story from Andrew Blankstein and Robert J. Lopez at the Los Angeles Times. Bradley wore out his welcome in baseball a couple of years ago, mostly due to his anger issues, but this is terrifying and depressing all at the same time.

1. chill1184 - Jun 3, 2013 at 10:47 PM

What an asshole

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Jun 4, 2013 at 8:08 AM

3 thumbs down for the most accurate statement ever? Nice.

• timmmah10 - Jun 4, 2013 at 9:43 AM

Don’t hate the playa, hate the board game.

• skinsfanwill - Jun 4, 2013 at 12:17 PM

Those were EXACTLY my words.

2. fearlessleader - Jun 3, 2013 at 10:52 PM

Fun facts: In May 2005, the Dodgers launched a new initiative to try to draw more women to their games.

In August 2005, Los Angeles police responded to three separate domestic-violence calls at Milton Bradley’s house.

In September 2005, the Dodgers selected him as their nominee for MLB’s “Man of the Year” award.

Shortly thereafter, Dodger execs wondered aloud to the media about why they still weren’t connecting to women as successfully as they’d hoped.

3. newyorkshets - Jun 3, 2013 at 10:53 PM

Good riddance.

4. chris1019 - Jun 3, 2013 at 10:53 PM

Considering his character throughout his career, I’m not surprised.

5. mybrunoblog - Jun 3, 2013 at 10:54 PM

Milton Bradley makes me sick. Beating on a defenseless woman is appalling. I hope he rots in prison for seven years. F him.

6. mongoose73 - Jun 3, 2013 at 10:54 PM

Rot in hell dirtbag

7. sabatimus - Jun 3, 2013 at 10:58 PM

I wish I could say I’m surprised.

8. 6stn - Jun 3, 2013 at 11:01 PM

The board games were good, but that’s all the use I have for Milton Bradley.

9. captainwisdom8888 - Jun 3, 2013 at 11:11 PM

What piece of sh*t.

People would benefit by realizing that marrying someone, or loving someone, has ALOT more to do with simply LIKING that person than anything. I’m sure Bradley’s critique of his wife went something like: wow she’s really sexy…Will you marry me? While her particular mindset was more like: He looks good, and he’s got lots of money….I DO.

• historiophiliac - Jun 3, 2013 at 11:20 PM

I think it’s a little more complicated than that.

• tfbuckfutter - Jun 4, 2013 at 12:17 AM

So….in your opinion, men are shallow and women are whores?

I think you should rethink your chosen pseudonym.

Might I suggest captainjuvenilesimplification?

• bigleagues - Jun 4, 2013 at 10:01 AM

…said the guy who curates a public surfing photo album.

10. raiderinvader - Jun 3, 2013 at 11:13 PM

I wish someone would Milton Bradley its not a game….!

11. normcash - Jun 3, 2013 at 11:14 PM

He’s lucky the prosecutor charged him with misdemeanors instead of felonies….

12. jayquintana - Jun 3, 2013 at 11:17 PM

Train wrecks stop to look at Milton Bradley.

13. dondada10 - Jun 3, 2013 at 11:18 PM

Shocked to learn that Bradley wasn’t already in jail for general assholedness.

• mazblast - Jun 4, 2013 at 2:14 AM

It’s LA. If “general assholedness” were a crime there, you’d need a jail the size of Rhode Island to hold those who are guilty.

• jimeejohnson - Jun 4, 2013 at 9:08 PM

Nice.

14. jimsjam33 - Jun 3, 2013 at 11:48 PM

Lucky he hasn’t killed anybody yet . Only question is what took so long ?

15. Liam - Jun 4, 2013 at 12:07 AM

Any word on if he can pass Go on the way and score $200?

• mazblast - Jun 4, 2013 at 2:15 AM

Monopoly is a Parker Brothers game.

16. tfbuckfutter - Jun 4, 2013 at 12:19 AM

I never like to wish (serious) harm on anyone….

But if he died in a fire not only would I not care….I’d probably crack half a smile.

If it was in a room with Chris Brown, that’d be even better.

• brewcrewfan54 - Jun 4, 2013 at 12:27 AM

If he was in a fire it puts firefighters at risk. If you wish him death do it in a way that puts it all on himself.

• tfbuckfutter - Jun 4, 2013 at 12:36 AM

I don’t wish him death.

I just will be slightly happy if he was on fire. I might even watch the Youtube video more than once.

And no firefighters have to show up unless they just want to watch.

I think it’s known as a “controlled burn.”

• badintent - Jun 4, 2013 at 12:39 AM

Send him to Somalia as a peace keeper. They can chop off his hands, then he’ll hit no one.

• jimeejohnson - Jun 4, 2013 at 9:08 PM

Bad intent!

17. goodknave - Jun 4, 2013 at 12:30 AM

He once hit a grand slam in the bottom of the 9th inning of the deciding game to win the Eastern League championship series when he played for the Harrisburg Senators.

Obviously irrelevent at the moment, but it was kinda cool.

• tfbuckfutter - Jun 4, 2013 at 1:00 AM

OJ Simpson ran for 2,000 yards in a 14 game NFL season in 1973.

Rae Carruth was an All-American in 1996.

Lawrence Phillips ran for 165 yards and 2 TDs in the national title game.

My point, of course, is…..so fucking what?

• bigleagues - Jun 4, 2013 at 9:21 AM

I was AT that game. It was one of the greatest Home Runs I have ever seen. In fact, I could spend several paragraphs waxing poetic about the drama behind that Grand Slam . . .

but yeah, COMPLETELY F*&CKING IRRELEVANT.

In fact, now I’m probably more pissed than the average guy because that douche-bag has shat on one of my best minor league stories.

18. rcali - Jun 4, 2013 at 12:33 AM

I’d be pretty scared if I was sharing a cell with him. He almost killed a fan, an umpire, and a base coach. Now that is a baseball career.

• tfbuckfutter - Jun 4, 2013 at 12:38 AM

If he’s sharing a cell with someone it won’t be a fan, or old umpire or coach…..

Or, you know….a female.

He may actually have to share a cell with someone who physically meets or exceeds his level.

And a bitch like Milton can’t deal with someone who is even his equal.

Which is why he lashes out at those who are weaker.

• bbk1000 - Jun 4, 2013 at 5:24 AM

” He almost killed a fan, an umpire, and a base coach”

and it’s a fellow inmate for the cycle…..

• badintent - Jun 4, 2013 at 7:46 PM

Touche.!

19. blingslade - Jun 4, 2013 at 1:19 AM

Lemme check…yep, just as I thought-Milton’s from Compton.

• fearlessleader - Jun 4, 2013 at 4:10 AM

What a smug, nasty, and totally irrelevant remark.

• samu0034 - Jun 4, 2013 at 9:00 AM

Look, there’s something to be said for the socio-economic setting of a person’s upbringing being relevant to how they turn out in the end. But that said, no… Milton Bradley is NOT from Compton. He was born in Harbor City, and went to HS at Long Beach Poly (with Chase Utley) (yes, I can read Wikipedia articles). Both of these are kinda NEAR Compton, but they’re NOT Compton, they’re decent blue collar cities/neighborhoods. Whatever is broken in Milton Bradley is not broken for the reasons you imply.

• louhudson23 - Jun 5, 2013 at 1:14 PM

Socio-economic setting can effect certain things,but anger issues and spousal abuse know no economic boundaries. The rich steal,use drugs and beat their wives at no less a rate than anyone else….they tend to sell drugs on the corner and get arrested for it at a much lower rate than the poor however and they more rarely resort to physical violence to settle disputes a gang member……..their theft is generally more subtle than a convenience store holdup but much more damaging to society as a whole….and just like the poor,their neighborhoods are also comprised of good people who just wish to get through the day,love their families and live their lives…….Bradley is his on his own on this one……hopefully he can find some peace before his life is over and before he hurts anyone anymore than he already has…..undoubtedly he has effected his children in ways that can’t be calculated….whether his problems stem from an occurrence in his life ,or are simply organic in nature…..is hard to say and beside the point at this juncture….

• asimonetti88 - Jun 4, 2013 at 11:01 AM

Bradley is from Long Beach.

20. nothanksimdriving123 - Jun 4, 2013 at 1:32 AM

My hope for him is that some day he will realize that his worst problem is the guy in the mirror and that someday he’ll be able to accept that he needs to learn how to be a real man. And a real man does not, ever, under any circumstances, assault a woman.

21. bbk1000 - Jun 4, 2013 at 5:14 AM

Good, this guy have been given repeated chances and doesn’t change.

Put him away for a long time…..before throwing him in there spread some dressing on his behind…

22. randygnyc - Jun 4, 2013 at 6:38 AM

Less than human.

23. spideysdog - Jun 4, 2013 at 6:47 AM

there are many men in jail in LA who are not only his “equal”, but a hell of a lot worse. one can only hope he they ignore his name and put him in general population. drop the soap Milton. drop thesoap.

24. stephenolszewski - Jun 4, 2013 at 7:22 AM

Can you say scumbag?

25. yahmule - Jun 4, 2013 at 10:03 AM

“The argument escalated into a physical altercation, during which Bradley allegedly kicked his wife in the ribs while she was on the floor.”

I would say a nice long stay at the Hotel Greybar is just what this guy needs.

Angels' 2011 overhaul finally paying off?
  1. R. Castillo (3265)