Quote of the Day: Mariano Rivera

Jun 3, 2013, 10:00 AM EDT

Mariano Rivera AP

Buster Olney spoke with Mariano Rivera yesterday. In the non-paywalled portion of his column, Olney explains Rivera’s reasoning for retiring now, even if he’s still at the top of his game.

What interests me the most is this comment, though, making it abundantly clear that he is not pitching after 2013:

“I don’t care if I get 100 saves,” he said. “I don’t care if they offer me $50 million. That’s it.”

How much you wanna bet, though, that a New York columnist still tries to squeeze out a “could Mariano come back?” thing before the season is out?

1. danaking - Jun 3, 2013 at 10:04 AM

I suspect he might well have retired after last season had he not been so badly injured. He’s a man who is proud of his accomplishments, and rightfully so. He wanted to go out on his terms, and now he will get to. I’m a Yankee hater from way back, but how anyone cannot be a Mariano Rivera fan is beyond me.

• fanofevilempire - Jun 3, 2013 at 1:12 PM

like Mo said, once a acura always acura

2. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Jun 3, 2013 at 10:06 AM

So he is saying that negotiations start at $51Million? That is also known as “Soriano Money.”

3. rufuscornpone - Jun 3, 2013 at 10:32 AM

Though it will be sad to see him go, it’s always gratifying when someone retires while still kicking tons of ass. Most players have to be dragged off kicking and screaming, outside of the occasional Will Clark or Billy Wagner that is.

If Rivera keeps it up this year (which I have no reason to believe that he won’t), he’s looking at yet another year with a sub-2.00 ERA, 40+ saves, and well-earned All-Star appearance. It nice to know you could mix up his seasons and not be able to guess which one occurred at which part of his career.

4. 18thstreet - Jun 3, 2013 at 10:33 AM

I believe that Mariano Rivera could pitch until his 80s and still have an ERA under 2.50. I respect him immensely. And, as a Red Sox fan, I’m so very glad he’s finally going to retire.

• bigharold - Jun 3, 2013 at 12:26 PM

I hear he’s teaching Robertson the cutter.

• protius - Jun 4, 2013 at 6:03 AM

I heard he’s teaching Joba Chamberlain El Tamborito.

• fanofevilempire - Jun 3, 2013 at 1:13 PM

80, that is crazy, glad you believe it.

5. historiophiliac - Jun 3, 2013 at 10:44 AM

I wonder if they could combine this with a Steinbrenner story. Something like, if the Boss was still alive he’d find a way to keep Mo…or something.

• unclemosesgreen - Jun 3, 2013 at 11:29 AM

That was truly frightening – I was typing that but less succinctly and more words when I decided to check the comments first. Get out of my head she-devil!

• historiophiliac - Jun 3, 2013 at 11:37 AM

That movie SUCKED!

• unclemosesgreen - Jun 3, 2013 at 11:38 AM

I saw the trailer for that movie so I never watched it.

• historiophiliac - Jun 3, 2013 at 11:40 AM

That was one a friend foisted upon me. Curses!

• unclemosesgreen - Jun 3, 2013 at 11:42 AM

What’s one less friend?

• historiophiliac - Jun 3, 2013 at 11:44 AM

I believe so.

• unclemosesgreen - Jun 3, 2013 at 12:28 PM

My taste in movies is very … shall we say … eclectic. I watched Here Goes the Boom twice already – and it made me cry with laughter repeatedly. Also a half dozen people have let me know since that movie came out how much I remind them of Bas Rutten – which is actually pretty accurate if you subtract about 25 lbs of upper body weight and add 5 lbs of skull – weight. Also my ears are prettier.

• historiophiliac - Jun 3, 2013 at 12:41 PM

I have no idea what that even is. But, I do like pretty ears.

• unclemosesgreen - Jun 3, 2013 at 12:45 PM

A Bas Rutten is a large Dutch retired mixed martial artist who is totally hilarious. Google his videos on self-defense, he will cheerfully and accurately instruct you on how to break a guy’s arm. It would be difficult to express just how much I enjoy his work and persona.

• unclemosesgreen - Jun 3, 2013 at 11:30 AM

And also if you could stop expressing my thoughts more clearly than I – that would be appreciated as well.

• Old Gator - Jun 3, 2013 at 12:32 PM

That’s not a problem I’ve ever had.

• unclemosesgreen - Jun 3, 2013 at 12:46 PM

I would not want to meet the person who could accurately predict and express your thoughts.

• unclemosesgreen - Jun 3, 2013 at 12:47 PM

How on earth would the Judge even begin to taxonomize such an individual?

• indaburg - Jun 3, 2013 at 12:26 PM

What if they could combine it with an A-rod isn’t a true Yankee story? You know, go for the hat trick?

• historiophiliac - Jun 3, 2013 at 12:41 PM

Or, the Boss could get A-Rod to quit AND keep Mo!

• indaburg - Jun 3, 2013 at 1:17 PM

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have the winner!

• unclemosesgreen - Jun 3, 2013 at 6:55 PM

I like the way you’re thinking. Why settle for an exacta? No, Indaburg wants the trifecta. The three-run Jimmy Jack. The Earl Weaver.

Historio is a mindreader and a good writer, I think some of the same funny things historio does but can’t express it as clearly – but you – you are like a frontiers-woman of the mind. Well played.

• indaburg - Jun 4, 2013 at 7:11 AM

Lol a frontiers-woman of the mind? I love it.

6. bigleagues - Jun 3, 2013 at 10:53 AM

that a New York columnist…

Your ONLY mistake here is supposing that ‘a’ (implying one) NY columnist will run the “could Mariano comeback” story. Those daydream pieces will begin at the All Star Break and won’t end until well into next season.

7. misterscmo - Jun 3, 2013 at 11:15 AM

I’ve admired the way MR has performed year in and out: professional and classy in the pressure cooker of NY. As a Red Sox fan, I hope he doesn’t find some hard throwing kid in Scranton and teach him the Mariano Cutter.

8. trollingforjustice - Jun 3, 2013 at 11:40 AM

”Let’s begin the bidding at 51 million!”

9. woodyqq2 - Jun 3, 2013 at 11:56 AM

Craig, You would Pay your sleazy columnists buddies, just to prove your suggestion. Maybe you are working up a master plan of your own.

10. uuddlrlrbastart - Jun 3, 2013 at 6:19 PM

There were Bernie Williams comeback columns for years after he retired. Of course there will be Rivera columns.

11. romoscollarbone - Jun 3, 2013 at 6:32 PM

Lets not forget Mo is 43. He may be tired of the travel and time away from his loved ones. He’s given more to MLB than anyone could’ve ever imagined when he was a green bean SP getting shelled.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3388)