Report: Likely top-five draft pick Jonathan Gray tests positive for Adderall

Jun 3, 2013, 6:04 PM EDT

Jonathan Gray AP

Sources told ESPN’s Keith Law that University of Oklahoma right-hander Jonathan Gray, who was widely expected to go at the top of the first round in Thursday’s MLB draft, sampled positive for Adderall during a predraft test.

One source with MLB that the positive test won’t result in a suspension, but will result in additional testing after he begins his pro career. Only those players with a prescription and a waiver are allowed to use Adderall in the majors and minors, and Gray reportedly had neither.

Expectations were that the Astros would take either Gray or Stanford right-hander Mark Appel with the first pick in Thursday’s draft and that the other would go to the Cubs second overall. However, that has changed in recent days; many now believe the Astros will go with a position player at No. 2 and that either Gray or Appel could slide to Colorado with  the third pick or Minnesota with the fourth pick. If teams choose to shy away from Gray because of the news, he could slip to the Red Sox at No. 7 or the Pirates at No. 9.

Gray, a 6-foot-4, 240-pound Junior, is 10-2 with a 1.59 ERA and a 138/22 K/BB ratio in 119 innings for Oklahoma this year.  He’s expected to face LSU in regional play this weekend.

1. townballblog - Jun 3, 2013 at 6:07 PM

Adderall! Ban him for life. Come on, adderall…I have a hard time accepting that as a banned substance.

• asimonetti88 - Jun 3, 2013 at 7:45 PM

Tell that to Roger Goodell.

• raysfan1 - Jun 3, 2013 at 7:55 PM

Adderall = amphetamine, and is a Schedule II medication, same as steroids and most opioid analgesics. Amphetamine increase a user’s ability to focus and concentrate as well as a temporary boost in energy. It should not be hard to see how that would enhance a player’s performance. Possession or use without a prescription is illegal. Amphetamines also increase cardiac workload and are potentially addictive.

• dondada10 - Jun 3, 2013 at 8:33 PM

When I was an undergrad I would recreationally use adderall. Trust me, that shit is a drug and half.

• chuckleberry1974 - Jun 3, 2013 at 8:47 PM

I have a prescription for mine. It’s about the only way I’m productive…

• bigleagues - Jun 4, 2013 at 9:53 AM

Nearly all of raysfan1’s point is spot on.

But, we should all know by now, referencing of the Federal Schedule to support your argument on the potency/danger of a particular drug is a tad bit fallacious.

Having said that… it bothers me that each time a player test positive for amphetamine salts, which is the generic name for “Adderrall”, the media reports the player tested positive for “Adderrall”.

I have a hard time believing that every single positive test for “Adderrall” means the player was taking the name brand and not one of the less-expensive, more prevalent, generics.

To me it’s lazy journalism. The media did the same thing with “Oxycontin” and I doubt that every reported “Oxycontin” death was actually “Oxycontin” or even an Oxycontin generic.

This simplification to create sensationalism is no different in practice then using a picture of a seemingly enraged “Pit Bull” above the anchors shoulder whenever there is a dog bite/attack story – even when no “Pit Bull” was involved.

• raysfan1 - Jun 4, 2013 at 2:20 PM

Bigleagues–
        My own statement on the federal regulation of amphetamines was only a statement of fact and was not intended to equate potency or efficacy, let alone chemical classification. The only equivalency I point out is the legal one as it is one of the considerations in whether a substance is banned for use by athletes.

You bring up an interesting point in how the media nearly always uses the brand name Adderall. I wish they wouldn’t as then I would not feel the need to point out what Adderall is. However, is it the media electing to use the brand name for whatever reason, or does MLB use the brand name as well (if the latter, I wouldn’t expect a reporter to necessarily look up the generic name). The testing programs I have worked with always report results using the generic/chemical nomenclature, but I’ve not read the MLB press releases–only the secondary reporting in the media.

2. geoknows - Jun 3, 2013 at 6:16 PM

I don’t think Gray would make it to the Pirates; the Royals pick before them and if he’s still there they will take him. They drafted him out of high school.

3. thebadguyswon - Jun 3, 2013 at 6:20 PM

What?! Isn’t that perscribed for ADHD? BFD.

• Ben - Jun 3, 2013 at 7:17 PM

Well, it’s basically prescribed amphetamines, so there’s that.

• raysfan1 - Jun 3, 2013 at 7:42 PM

Not basically. Adderall is amphetamine, and illegal to possess or us without a prescription.

• raysfan1 - Jun 3, 2013 at 7:42 PM

*use, not “us”

4. echech88 - Jun 3, 2013 at 6:31 PM

Prescription greenies without the stigma. Can’t blame him for trying.

5. ndrocks2 - Jun 3, 2013 at 6:54 PM

It’s finals week, just ask his agent.

• dondada10 - Jun 3, 2013 at 9:05 PM

I find your comment funny and accurate. Nonetheless, kid’s about to get a signing bonus upwards of 5 mil.

Don’t think he gives a fuck about finals.

6. sabatimus - Jun 3, 2013 at 6:54 PM

Sauce for the goose, Mr. Saavik.

7. danielcp0303 - Jun 3, 2013 at 7:27 PM

“many now believe the Astros will go with a position player at No. 2″

Either you mean the Cubs will take a position player or 2, or the Astros will at number 1

8. stex52 - Jun 4, 2013 at 8:47 AM

The local press was talking up Gray over the week end. This will probably put a fork in that speculation. I don’t see Appel. It’s kind of odd, given that he is a local boy, but they seem to have gotten off to a bad start with him and the Astros have made it fairly clear that they are going for over slots in the early rounds and will pay less to the #1 in order to afford that. According to the papers, Gray’s agent had agreed to negotiate down. Appel has Boras for an agent. Draw your own conclusions.

Local rumor has it now that it will be Bryant or Moran at 3rd base as the position players. With this Adderall news I guess they will go position. They really need a top pitching prospect pretty badly, but it looks like it won’t be with #1.

When home-field advantage isn't so
  1. T. Lincecum (3118)