Wrigley Field is keeping the urinal troughs

Jun 3, 2013, 5:03 PM EDT

Trough

I’m going to Wrigley Field on Friday for the Pirates-Cubs game. Assuming that the upcoming renovation would spell their doom, I had planned to say goodbye to the Wrigley urinal troughs when I was there. For, whatever you may think of them, the ones in Wrigley are likely the last of their kind in Major League Baseball ballparks.

But wait! Via Bleed Cubbie Blue, we learn that they are to be saved!

“For the last several years, we have basically undertaken a number of focus groups and surveys among fans as we’ve looked to put together our plan to restore and improve the stadium,” Green said. “What we found is that our male fans have no problems with the communal nature of the troughs, cheek to cheek if you will. It’s part of enjoying the game.”

Focus groups: way worse than urinal troughs, generally speaking, but in this case the preservers of history. And culture. And whatever else you may call urinal troughs.

BCB’s Al Yellon provides the context as well as a recent photo of said troughs. You know, for science. I’m sure that was what Al told the security folks at Wrigley as he snapped the photo in the men’s room anyway. ¬†And thank God for his work in this regard.

1. billybawl - Jun 3, 2013 at 5:19 PM

FWIW, the Oakland Coliseum has stainless steel urinal troughs. Whatever gets you back to your seat faster works for me.

• stoutfiles - Jun 3, 2013 at 8:51 PM

Just don’t cross the streams!

2. raisedeyebrows82 - Jun 3, 2013 at 5:22 PM

“For, whatever you may think of them, the ones in Wrigley are likely the last of their kind in Major League Baseball ballparks.” – nope! while the coliseum may be a pretty shitty stadium in general now (curse you, Al Davis!), we’ve still got the troughs over in Oakland! (and they rule)

3. thedripfeed - Jun 3, 2013 at 5:26 PM

“No Homo”–Roy Hibbert

4. gbrim - Jun 3, 2013 at 5:27 PM

Rip them out, sell them to diehard Cubs fans for their ‘man caves’, make oodles of $$$$. Cubs are looking for more revenue, um, streams…..

5. Brian Murphy - Jun 3, 2013 at 5:27 PM

I just like that someone wrote “historic communal tinkle traps” for publish.

In related news, we really need to debate what things on this planet can and can not be labeled as “historic.”

6. tfbuckfutter - Jun 3, 2013 at 5:32 PM

Wait….can someone explain how so many men have such a problem with gay men in locker rooms, but will happily whip it out in front of a bunch of dudes in close quarters?

I wouldn’t use one of those. But only because I’m not an animal.

Nice to know some people absolutely love the experience of them though.

• paperlions - Jun 3, 2013 at 5:50 PM

Well, then what are you? Obviously, you are no Homo, because that genus of primate is an animal.

• historiophiliac - Jun 3, 2013 at 5:50 PM

Booo!!!

/throws fragrance pucks (just kidding)

• billybawl - Jun 3, 2013 at 6:50 PM

The alternative for you at the Oakland Coliseum would be a stall. You can imagine how those look, if you’re “lucky” enough to wait for one to be free.

• tfbuckfutter - Jun 3, 2013 at 7:01 PM

The bathroom situation would probably rank about 50th on my list of reasons I wouldn’t ever go to the Oakland Coliseum.

7. sfm073 - Jun 3, 2013 at 5:42 PM

It’s not called the worlds largest gay bar for nothing.

8. sportsdrenched - Jun 3, 2013 at 5:48 PM

I clicked on this threat looking for the Royals, have you seen them?

9. onbucky96 - Jun 3, 2013 at 6:03 PM

As Dr.Kelso told J.D., “Save it for the bathhouses son”. Lame Wrigley, REAL lame.

10. romoscollarbone - Jun 3, 2013 at 6:05 PM

Anytime I get to pee with minimal aiming, I’m all for it. I was saying to my buddy not too long ago, why did the urinals that extend to the floor ( usually seen in churches & old schools) go out of vogue. Can’t pee on the floor, with those.

11. slystone111 - Jun 3, 2013 at 6:09 PM

Aaaaand this blog has officially jumped the shark.

• stex52 - Jun 4, 2013 at 8:53 AM

With you on that. This is what I’m reading at 8 in the morning?

12. sammykbuck10 - Jun 3, 2013 at 6:26 PM

Could be worse, they could be in a circle shape.

13. hojo20 - Jun 3, 2013 at 6:40 PM

I’ve visited those troughs many times and it’s rather stressful having people stand right behind waiting you while you’re trying to empty out, and also there could be a guy standing on either side. I would imagine this is what it’s like in the Marines or the state prison.

Yet it’s how Wrigley patrons have always done it since the ballpark’s inception, so it’s part of the old time charm, along with the ivy and the CF scoreboard.

14. rich41617 - Jun 3, 2013 at 8:01 PM

I often wondered what it was like to pee in the sink. Thanks Wrigley for helping me “live the dream!”

• tfbuckfutter - Jun 3, 2013 at 8:32 PM

You….you’ve wondered that but never done it?

Are you too short? Just stand on the counter. Or get a stool.

I pee in the sink all the time.

Once at a party (at our house, yay) I watched a chick try to pee in the sink….she pulled down her pants and hopped her ass up there….and promptly peed down the front of the cabinet. It was funny.

• 4d3fect - Jun 3, 2013 at 9:29 PM

Clown question, bro.

Good party story though.

15. coryfor3 - Jun 3, 2013 at 9:08 PM

They are disgusting. Preserving something you urinate in as tradition or history is stupid even for baseball traditionalists.

16. redridershoottheireyeout - Jun 3, 2013 at 9:57 PM

so what the drunk Cubs fans pee on the floor anyway, Wrigley itself is a toilet

17. sickcub - Jun 3, 2013 at 9:59 PM

I don’t think that’s a picture of the urinals at Wrigley Field

• shwoogy1 - Jun 4, 2013 at 11:12 AM

They are stainless steal at Wrigley.

18. mtheparrothead - Jun 3, 2013 at 10:56 PM

And they’re good for water conservation. Pee and let gravity take care of it

19. kicksave1980 - Jun 4, 2013 at 4:36 AM

Since these are mostly used by Cubs fans, do they have a sign hanging above them reminding people “Don’t eat the big white mint”?

• shwoogy1 - Jun 4, 2013 at 11:12 AM

Good one. Better luck next time.

20. jiminthebay - Jun 4, 2013 at 6:50 AM

doubt i’d be standing in line behind someone who is raining up front and thundering from behind . recycle them big beer cups for multi-purpose.

21. danaking - Jun 4, 2013 at 9:07 AM

I kind of like the troughs, though I’m disappointed there are no little ducks floating by with numbers on their bellies.

22. lawson1974 - Jun 4, 2013 at 7:18 PM

When I went in the 80’s I feel like I remember some round urinal troughs. That was even worse, maybe it was just a bad dream.

Alex Gordon, MVP candidate