Jun 3, 2013, 5:03 PM EDT
I’m going to Wrigley Field on Friday for the Pirates-Cubs game. Assuming that the upcoming renovation would spell their doom, I had planned to say goodbye to the Wrigley urinal troughs when I was there. For, whatever you may think of them, the ones in Wrigley are likely the last of their kind in Major League Baseball ballparks.
“For the last several years, we have basically undertaken a number of focus groups and surveys among fans as we’ve looked to put together our plan to restore and improve the stadium,” Green said. “What we found is that our male fans have no problems with the communal nature of the troughs, cheek to cheek if you will. It’s part of enjoying the game.”
Focus groups: way worse than urinal troughs, generally speaking, but in this case the preservers of history. And culture. And whatever else you may call urinal troughs.
BCB’s Al Yellon provides the context as well as a recent photo of said troughs. You know, for science. I’m sure that was what Al told the security folks at Wrigley as he snapped the photo in the men’s room anyway. And thank God for his work in this regard.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 64
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 75
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 67
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)