Jun 3, 2013, 8:03 PM EDT
Major League Baseball announced this evening that Cardinals catcher Yadier Molina has been suspended one game and fined an undisclosed amount for making contact with umpire Mike Everitt following his ejection yesterday. Molina has appealed the ruling and is in the starting lineup for tonight’s game against the Diamondbacks.
Molina was ejected yesterday after he was called out on a close play at first base in the third inning. The Cardinals’ backstop threw his helmet in frustration, which resulted in the ejection from first base umpire Clint Fagan and a heated confrontation. Everitt, who was the second base umpire, ran over in an attempt to restore some order. Cardinals manager Mike Matheny was also ejected for coming out to restrain and defend Molina.
It’s worth noting that Everitt told Rick Hummel of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch that he thought the contact from Molina was “incidental.” Still, MLB decided to send a message. The guess here is that Molina gets out of the suspension, but pays the fine.
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 22
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 26
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 43
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 18
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 24
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)
- Ichiro Suzuki passes Babe Ruth on the all-time hits list (76)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (71)
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves (71)