Jun 4, 2013, 6:37 AM EST
Dodgers 2, Padres 1: Welcome to the bigs Yasiel Puig. In his first game Puig had two hits and then in the ninth he made a catch at the wall and then a strong throw to first to double off Chris Donorfia to end the game. This guy has the chance to be something special.
Yankees 7, Indians 4: Mark Teixeira is paying dividends already, hitting a grand slam in the bottom of the third. Andy Pettitte made his return from the disabled list too. It wasn’t so hot — he gave up four runs on seven hits and walked three in four and two-thirds — but four relievers held the Tribe scoreless the rest of the way.
Astros 2, Angels 1: The Astros remain hot, winning their sixth straight and completing a sweep of the Angels. Not to take anything away from Houston, but the Angels have no business being talked about as a “disappointment” after this series, for that implies that they’re better than they’re showing. They have to face facts and realize that they simply stink.
Mariners 4, White Sox 2: Raul Ibanez hit a homer in a 13-pitch at bat in the third inning. John Danks‘ explanation as to what happened? “I just ran out of ideas.” Heh. The White Sox are a hot mess, having dropped seven straight.
Athletics 10, Brewers 2: Viva pitchers batting: Tommy Milone went 2 for 4 with an RBI and two runs scored. Coco Crisp had four hits including a leadoff homer. The A’s stay red hot, winners of 15 of 17.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 56
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 85
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 37
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 14
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year (85)