Anthony Rendon called up by the Nationals, Jayson Werth activated, Danny Espinosa sent to the disabled list
Jun 4, 2013, 3:39 PM EDT
YET ANOTHER UPDATE: The Nats beat has become a bit unreliable today. No, Espinosa has NOT been optioned to Triple-A, contrary to one report. He’s been DL’d:
— Washington Nationals (@Nationals) June 4, 2013
That’s better. No, I’m not updating again. I don’t care if someone reports that the Nats are calling up Lastings Miledge or Elijah Dukes. This post is final.
UPDATE: Wow, this is crazy. Espinosa has not been placed on the disabled list. He’s been sent down!
Danny Espinosa has been optioned, not placed on the DL, per a source. #Nats
— Dan Kolko (@masnKolko) June 4, 2013
So one of two things happened: the Nats are still in denial about Espinosa’s injuries and think some time in the minors will, I dunno, fix his wrist and shoulder. OR they want Espinosa to have surgery or something, he won’t and they’re, in effect, doing away with him like this.
Pretty unexpected, though, that’s for sure.
UPDATE: Kilgore reports that Jayson Werth is in the lineup. And that Henry Rodriguez was seen packing things in a bag and that Danny Espinosa’s locker was empty. Sounds like big moves afoot for the Nationals.
3:39 PM: A day after the Nationals were torn a new one for being too cavalier about player injuries — with second baseman Danny Espinosa’s wrist and shoulder injuries mentioned front and center — a new face has shown up at Nats Park:
Well. Anthony Rendon is at Nats Park.
— Adam Kilgore (@AdamKilgoreWP) June 4, 2013
No official announcement yet, but it would seem that Rendon has been called up. And, one would presume, Espinosa has ben DL’d. But we’ll have to wait for something official to know for sure.
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 0
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 3
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 9
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 47
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 29
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 18
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 14
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (264)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)