Anthony Rendon called up by the Nationals, Jayson Werth activated, Danny Espinosa sent to the disabled list
Jun 4, 2013, 3:39 PM EDT
YET ANOTHER UPDATE: The Nats beat has become a bit unreliable today. No, Espinosa has NOT been optioned to Triple-A, contrary to one report. He’s been DL’d:
— Washington Nationals (@Nationals) June 4, 2013
That’s better. No, I’m not updating again. I don’t care if someone reports that the Nats are calling up Lastings Miledge or Elijah Dukes. This post is final.
UPDATE: Wow, this is crazy. Espinosa has not been placed on the disabled list. He’s been sent down!
Danny Espinosa has been optioned, not placed on the DL, per a source. #Nats
— Dan Kolko (@masnKolko) June 4, 2013
So one of two things happened: the Nats are still in denial about Espinosa’s injuries and think some time in the minors will, I dunno, fix his wrist and shoulder. OR they want Espinosa to have surgery or something, he won’t and they’re, in effect, doing away with him like this.
Pretty unexpected, though, that’s for sure.
UPDATE: Kilgore reports that Jayson Werth is in the lineup. And that Henry Rodriguez was seen packing things in a bag and that Danny Espinosa’s locker was empty. Sounds like big moves afoot for the Nationals.
3:39 PM: A day after the Nationals were torn a new one for being too cavalier about player injuries — with second baseman Danny Espinosa’s wrist and shoulder injuries mentioned front and center — a new face has shown up at Nats Park:
Well. Anthony Rendon is at Nats Park.
— Adam Kilgore (@AdamKilgoreWP) June 4, 2013
No official announcement yet, but it would seem that Rendon has been called up. And, one would presume, Espinosa has ben DL’d. But we’ll have to wait for something official to know for sure.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 87
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 75
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 69
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)