Anthony Rendon called up by the Nationals, Jayson Werth activated, Danny Espinosa sent to the disabled list
Jun 4, 2013, 3:39 PM EST
YET ANOTHER UPDATE: The Nats beat has become a bit unreliable today. No, Espinosa has NOT been optioned to Triple-A, contrary to one report. He’s been DL’d:
— Washington Nationals (@Nationals) June 4, 2013
That’s better. No, I’m not updating again. I don’t care if someone reports that the Nats are calling up Lastings Miledge or Elijah Dukes. This post is final.
UPDATE: Wow, this is crazy. Espinosa has not been placed on the disabled list. He’s been sent down!
Danny Espinosa has been optioned, not placed on the DL, per a source. #Nats
— Dan Kolko (@masnKolko) June 4, 2013
So one of two things happened: the Nats are still in denial about Espinosa’s injuries and think some time in the minors will, I dunno, fix his wrist and shoulder. OR they want Espinosa to have surgery or something, he won’t and they’re, in effect, doing away with him like this.
Pretty unexpected, though, that’s for sure.
UPDATE: Kilgore reports that Jayson Werth is in the lineup. And that Henry Rodriguez was seen packing things in a bag and that Danny Espinosa’s locker was empty. Sounds like big moves afoot for the Nationals.
3:39 PM: A day after the Nationals were torn a new one for being too cavalier about player injuries — with second baseman Danny Espinosa’s wrist and shoulder injuries mentioned front and center — a new face has shown up at Nats Park:
Well. Anthony Rendon is at Nats Park.
— Adam Kilgore (@AdamKilgoreWP) June 4, 2013
No official announcement yet, but it would seem that Rendon has been called up. And, one would presume, Espinosa has ben DL’d. But we’ll have to wait for something official to know for sure.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 38
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 154
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (155)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (132)