Anthony Rendon called up by the Nationals, Jayson Werth activated, Danny Espinosa sent to the disabled list
Jun 4, 2013, 3:39 PM EDT
YET ANOTHER UPDATE: The Nats beat has become a bit unreliable today. No, Espinosa has NOT been optioned to Triple-A, contrary to one report. He’s been DL’d:
— Washington Nationals (@Nationals) June 4, 2013
That’s better. No, I’m not updating again. I don’t care if someone reports that the Nats are calling up Lastings Miledge or Elijah Dukes. This post is final.
UPDATE: Wow, this is crazy. Espinosa has not been placed on the disabled list. He’s been sent down!
Danny Espinosa has been optioned, not placed on the DL, per a source. #Nats
— Dan Kolko (@masnKolko) June 4, 2013
So one of two things happened: the Nats are still in denial about Espinosa’s injuries and think some time in the minors will, I dunno, fix his wrist and shoulder. OR they want Espinosa to have surgery or something, he won’t and they’re, in effect, doing away with him like this.
Pretty unexpected, though, that’s for sure.
UPDATE: Kilgore reports that Jayson Werth is in the lineup. And that Henry Rodriguez was seen packing things in a bag and that Danny Espinosa’s locker was empty. Sounds like big moves afoot for the Nationals.
3:39 PM: A day after the Nationals were torn a new one for being too cavalier about player injuries — with second baseman Danny Espinosa’s wrist and shoulder injuries mentioned front and center — a new face has shown up at Nats Park:
Well. Anthony Rendon is at Nats Park.
— Adam Kilgore (@AdamKilgoreWP) June 4, 2013
No official announcement yet, but it would seem that Rendon has been called up. And, one would presume, Espinosa has ben DL’d. But we’ll have to wait for something official to know for sure.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 7
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)