Cody Decker of the Tucson Padres: master of accents

Jun 4, 2013, 8:56 AM EDT

Cody Decker of the Tucson Padres is a master of accents, and showed off his talent on 1290 AM radio.

Actually, I have no idea how much mastery Decker actually has over these accents. I can point out the differences among southern U.S. accents and dialects, but beyond that I’m pretty poor at recognizing them. Natives and buzzkillers will likely point out his mistakes. Like, I totally noticed him transitioning from Scottish to Russian a bit slowly.

But if you’re grading ballplayers on a curve for their non-baseball traits — and I really think we should — this is pretty darm good.

1. paperlions - Jun 4, 2013 at 9:08 AM

It sounds like he worked really really hard to NOT call Foster’s piss. Every Australian I’ve ever heard talk about it calls it piss over and over and over.

• Alex K - Jun 4, 2013 at 9:28 AM

Same here. I’ve yet to hear an Australian I know talks about how a lot of places there don’t even serve it.

• Alex K - Jun 4, 2013 at 9:29 AM

That should read “Every Australian I know talks….”

• stlouis1baseball - Jun 4, 2013 at 9:37 AM

I have a couple of buddies who have traveled to Australia several times on business. Both said you have to work hard (real hard) to even find it in Australia.

• historiophiliac - Jun 4, 2013 at 9:52 AM

There’s a piss shortage in Australia?

• stlouis1baseball - Jun 4, 2013 at 9:54 AM

No little Miss Smarty Pants. Foster’s!

• historiophiliac - Jun 4, 2013 at 10:09 AM

O, er kehrn’t reade.

Pbblt!

2. skids003 - Jun 4, 2013 at 9:52 AM

Craig, we don’t have accents in the South, you guys have the accents!!lol

• historiophiliac - Jun 4, 2013 at 10:12 AM

Seriously, when I was in Massachusetts, sometimes my students (Southies) would say things to me and afterwards I’d say: I’m sorry, you’ll have to say that again. I was so distracted by your accent, I didn’t catch all of that. Amusingly, they thought *I* had an accent.

• skids003 - Jun 4, 2013 at 12:21 PM

When I used to travel up there a lot, I would get looks in restuerants all the time when I would be ordering. It actually was a good conversation starter with nice women. The I’d really turn on the drawl.

• historiophiliac - Jun 4, 2013 at 12:23 PM

You rascal!

I can take it off and put it on…unless I’m mad and then my English deteriorates accordingly.

• skids003 - Jun 4, 2013 at 1:33 PM

Something about a deep Southern drawl…..lol

• Kevin S. - Jun 4, 2013 at 11:58 AM

Actually, linguists say it’s the mid-Atlantic that actually speaks accent-free. So next time you make fun of us for how we say “water,” know that we’re right and you’re wrong. :-)

3. reemer894 - Jun 4, 2013 at 11:11 AM

There is a pic of him on the Audio link. He looks like a mix between Tony Romo and Data from Star Trek

The Jon Lester-Yoenis Cespedes trade is a win-win