Jun 4, 2013, 9:17 AM EDT
Sometimes I think these teams don’t WANT to be the worst in baseball history. Each has gained ground on the 1962 Mets:
- Record of the 1962 New York Mets through 58 games: 16-42;
- Record of the 2013 Houston Astros through 58 games: 21-37;
- Record of the 2013 Miami Marlins through 52 games: 16-42.
The Marlins swept the Mets, who were no doubt trying to protect their own team’s record. The Astros are on a legitimate big boy winning streak, having taken six in a row including a sweep of the Angels.
Meanwhile, the Brewers (21-35) and Mets (22-32), while not nearly as bad on paper as Houston and Miami, are showing us an awful lot of awful lately too. I don’t feel like it will turn into a four-way race or anything, but things are shaping up to be far more interesting on the futility front this year than first thought.
- Christian Vazquez to undergo Tommy John surgery 9
- 2015 Preview: Colorado Rockies 4
- 2015 Preview: Minnesota Twins 18
- 2015 Preview: Philadelphia Phillies 30
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 47
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 21
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)