Jun 4, 2013, 9:17 AM EDT
Sometimes I think these teams don’t WANT to be the worst in baseball history. Each has gained ground on the 1962 Mets:
- Record of the 1962 New York Mets through 58 games: 16-42;
- Record of the 2013 Houston Astros through 58 games: 21-37;
- Record of the 2013 Miami Marlins through 52 games: 16-42.
The Marlins swept the Mets, who were no doubt trying to protect their own team’s record. The Astros are on a legitimate big boy winning streak, having taken six in a row including a sweep of the Angels.
Meanwhile, the Brewers (21-35) and Mets (22-32), while not nearly as bad on paper as Houston and Miami, are showing us an awful lot of awful lately too. I don’t feel like it will turn into a four-way race or anything, but things are shaping up to be far more interesting on the futility front this year than first thought.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 13
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 43
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17