Jun 4, 2013, 9:17 AM EDT
Sometimes I think these teams don’t WANT to be the worst in baseball history. Each has gained ground on the 1962 Mets:
- Record of the 1962 New York Mets through 58 games: 16-42;
- Record of the 2013 Houston Astros through 58 games: 21-37;
- Record of the 2013 Miami Marlins through 52 games: 16-42.
The Marlins swept the Mets, who were no doubt trying to protect their own team’s record. The Astros are on a legitimate big boy winning streak, having taken six in a row including a sweep of the Angels.
Meanwhile, the Brewers (21-35) and Mets (22-32), while not nearly as bad on paper as Houston and Miami, are showing us an awful lot of awful lately too. I don’t feel like it will turn into a four-way race or anything, but things are shaping up to be far more interesting on the futility front this year than first thought.
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 18
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 86
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 56
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 55
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (86)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)