Hal Steinbrenner has been disappointed in A-Rod

Jun 4, 2013, 8:23 AM EDT

a-rod getty yankees Getty Images

The headline — the one I use is the same I’ve seen in all the AP wire reports — is likely to cause some to describe A-Rod as being in the Yankees doghouse again, but Hal Steinbrenner’s actual comments seem pretty measured and sensible:

“There have no doubt been times when we’ve been disappointed in him and we’ve conveyed that to him and he understands that,” Steinbrenner said. “But look, everybody’s human and everybody makes mistakes. If you’ve got a guy over the course of 10 years, there’s going to be times any of us make mistakes … It’s a big contract,” Steinbrenner said. “We all hope he’s going to act like a Yankee and do the best to live up to it.”

Obviously this isn’t the situation Steinbrenner or A-Rod want to be in now, but it could be more acrimonious. I mean, when his dad got to this point with Dave Winfield he sicced a private eye and ex-IRS agents on him and stuff. These words likely reflect the bulk of Yankees fans’ feelings about Rodriguez too. It stinks that he gets into messes, we wish he didn’t, we wish he was still an MVP-caliber player, we know he isn’t, but let’s let the worst case scenario be him trying hard nonetheless.

And read to the end of the report. It describes A-Rod’s rehab so far. Call me crazy, but that stuff about hitting balls out to the opposite field — and, admittedly, a lot of contrarian optimism on my part — has me imagining Rodriguez coming back and having a pretty big second half, which would make a lot of people feel kinda stupid.

1. sleepyirv - Jun 4, 2013 at 8:27 AM

I’m sure A-Rod is disappointed in Hal Steinbrenner.

• bigleagues - Jun 4, 2013 at 9:26 AM

/\
      /\
      /\
      /\
      [he said, sarcastically. Then watched as roughly two-thirds of his readers missed the sarcasm entirely and thought he was serious]

2. Kevin S. - Jun 4, 2013 at 8:41 AM

What’s he supposed to say, he’s disappointed in his idiot brother?

• proudlycanadian - Jun 4, 2013 at 8:44 AM

I suspect he is, but is too discreet to say so.

3. proudlycanadian - Jun 4, 2013 at 8:47 AM

When I saw the headline last night and subsequently read the story, there was obviously a bit of a disconnect between the tone of the headline and Steinbrenner’s actual remarks.

4. cocheese000 - Jun 4, 2013 at 8:59 AM

Arod will be a non factor when he finally comes back. With his history of injuries and without being able to cheat I can see him playing very poorly. Perhaps so poorly that he may retire before his contract is up.

• Kevin S. - Jun 4, 2013 at 9:06 AM

Let’s allow for a moment that A-Rod is indeed a dirty rotten cheater who has never done a damn thing on his own merits. Has baseball shown any ability whatsoever to inhibit his cheating? The only test he’s ever failed is one that nobody cared about beating. If he has been cheating, there’s no reason to believe he won’t go on cheating unabated. As for his injuries, he’s never been less than a good player when on the field, even recently – unless you expect him to play on one hip again. He’s not retiring before his contract’s up.

• cocheese000 - Jun 4, 2013 at 9:54 AM

If I knew you I would have already bet a Benjamin he retires before his contract is up.

• Kevin S. - Jun 4, 2013 at 9:58 AM

If I knew you you’d owe me a hundred in four and a half years. Alas, these are empty words from anonymous and pseudo-anonymous blog commenters.

• cocheese000 - Jun 4, 2013 at 12:16 PM

Okay let’s set this bet up. I can email you my contact info.

• heyblueyoustink - Jun 4, 2013 at 9:09 AM

I can’t stand it, I know you planned it.

• stoutfiles - Jun 4, 2013 at 9:41 AM

A-Rod will collect every last cent of that contract even if he sits the bench doing it. That is a LOT of money, and he lives a rich lifestyle. He couldn’t make anything close to that off the field; steroids have destroyed his legacy.

• jm91rs - Jun 4, 2013 at 10:21 AM

Don’t forget A-Rod is a house flipper now. He made something like 15 million on his last flip. I don’t think he’ll go broke in his lifetime.

• pellypell - Jun 4, 2013 at 11:47 AM

” I don’t think he’ll go broke in his lifetime.”

The more you make, the more you spend. Countless stories of athletes being dumb broke by the time they retire or soon afterwards.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jun 4, 2013 at 2:21 PM

Arod has collected $353M so far in salary. None of the athletes that have gone broke have come near to that type of payout. Even if Arod lost everything, decided to just give it away. He still has about $110M of guaranteed money due from the Yanks.

• pellypell - Jun 4, 2013 at 3:36 PM

Mike Tyson(330+)? Holyfield(250+). Antoine Walker(120+). Pippen(120+).

353M? No, but don’t think for a second he couldn’t end up broke.

He also has an ex wife that took him to the cleaners. You are giving this guy way too much credit.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jun 4, 2013 at 5:11 PM

Bolding the important part:

He’s due $86M just from salary until 2017. He’s at 647 HR so he’s almost guarantee another $30M when he hits 660. 714 is far, but 54 HR in 4 seasons is only 13.5 a year. That’s another $30M. So the Yanks will essentially pay him another $146M. He’d have to make the mother of all mistakes to piss just that away.

5. deathmonkey41 - Jun 4, 2013 at 9:20 AM

This is the kind of statement I would expect from Hal Steinbrenner…now Hank Steinbrenner on the other hand…

6. jfk69 - Jun 4, 2013 at 10:45 AM

Sins of the father now exorcised by the son. Your dad bid against himself.
    Where is HOWIE SPIRA????

• Kevin S. - Jun 4, 2013 at 10:48 AM

Pretty sure George had nothing to do with the A-Rod deal.

7. northstarnic - Jun 4, 2013 at 11:01 AM

Keep dreaming. Unless his rehab involved getting back on the a-roids, he will continue to be one of the biggest rip offs in sports. Enjoy Yanks. You deserve it.

8. pinkfloydprism - Jun 4, 2013 at 11:38 AM

(Pretend Sarcasm Font Enabled):

Nooooooooo…

9. stephenolszewski - Jun 4, 2013 at 11:43 AM

So are many other people !

10. buffalomafia - Jun 4, 2013 at 1:08 PM

Im a true Yankee fan & even I know A-Rod is finished?!

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jun 4, 2013 at 2:22 PM

I’m Ron Burgundy?

11. badintent - Jun 4, 2013 at 7:44 PM

Arodless will have himself frozen and will wait 10 years until the new generation of robotic arms is developed.Hope you all saw the 60 minutes on this past Sunday on that

A's, Tigers big winners at trade deadline