Jun 4, 2013, 8:23 AM EDT
The headline — the one I use is the same I’ve seen in all the AP wire reports — is likely to cause some to describe A-Rod as being in the Yankees doghouse again, but Hal Steinbrenner’s actual comments seem pretty measured and sensible:
“There have no doubt been times when we’ve been disappointed in him and we’ve conveyed that to him and he understands that,” Steinbrenner said. “But look, everybody’s human and everybody makes mistakes. If you’ve got a guy over the course of 10 years, there’s going to be times any of us make mistakes … It’s a big contract,” Steinbrenner said. “We all hope he’s going to act like a Yankee and do the best to live up to it.”
Obviously this isn’t the situation Steinbrenner or A-Rod want to be in now, but it could be more acrimonious. I mean, when his dad got to this point with Dave Winfield he sicced a private eye and ex-IRS agents on him and stuff. These words likely reflect the bulk of Yankees fans’ feelings about Rodriguez too. It stinks that he gets into messes, we wish he didn’t, we wish he was still an MVP-caliber player, we know he isn’t, but let’s let the worst case scenario be him trying hard nonetheless.
And read to the end of the report. It describes A-Rod’s rehab so far. Call me crazy, but that stuff about hitting balls out to the opposite field — and, admittedly, a lot of contrarian optimism on my part — has me imagining Rodriguez coming back and having a pretty big second half, which would make a lot of people feel kinda stupid.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 16
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 50
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 11
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Brandon Phillips: “How the [expletive] am I declining?” (61)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)