Jun 4, 2013, 3:21 PM EDT
Mike Aviles will take over as Cleveland’s primary shortstop and 24-year-old Juan Diaz was called up from Triple-A to provide some infield depth, but he was hitting just .211 with a .591 OPS in 52 games for Columbus and has a pretty terrible track record.
Cabrera hit .254 with five homers and 18 doubles in 53 games before being placed on the DL, posting a .745 OPS that’s nearly identical to his .756 career mark.
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 16
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 11
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 182
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 21
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 34
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 87
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (183)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)