Michael Pineda cleared to begin rehab assignment

Jun 4, 2013, 12:48 PM EST

Michael Pineda Reuters Reuters

Michael Pineda has been cleared to take a big step in his long road back from shoulder surgery, as the Yankees right-hander is scheduled to begin a minor-league rehab assignment Saturday at Single-A.

Pineda has been throwing in extended spring training without any setbacks and Dan Martin of the New York Post reports that he threw 65 pitches in his last outing there.

Pineda has yet to appear in a regular season game for the Yankees, who acquired him from the Mariners for then-stud prospect Jesus Montero in January of 2012. He showed a ton of promise as a 22-year-old rookie in 2011, striking out 173 batters in 171 innings, but at this point no one seems quite sure what to expect from Pineda.

1. awesomenar - Jun 4, 2013 at 1:16 PM

I know I shouldn’t, but I’m getting my hopes way up for this kid. Could make it possible to make a big Hughes/Granderson trade for some young talent.

• ramanzano99 - Jun 5, 2013 at 12:13 PM

Throw in that moron Joba fat face.

2. rickdobrydney - Jun 4, 2013 at 1:26 PM

I don’t know about this kid — when you get traded to the Yankees and then show up to camp 20 lbs. overweight and way out of shape, then I have major questions about his heart and desire…..We will see, but the onus at this point is on him to show people what he is all about—–

3. sdelmonte - Jun 4, 2013 at 1:29 PM

I am sure that while Pineda himself has a lot to lose if things don’t work out, the Yankees are in a pretty good place with him. If he doesn’t do well, they gave up very little (in retrospect) and remain where they are with the back end of the rotation. And he really doesn’t have to be that great to be an upgrade at the moment.

All that said, I wish him luck. I might root against his team, but I like good young pitchers and hate seeing injury derail them.

4. randygnyc - Jun 4, 2013 at 1:33 PM

Sdelmonte- very well said. They got Pineda essentially for free. It’s all upside, if anything. Even if it wasn’t causative, hopefully Pineda thinks that his being overweight and out of shape was a contributing factor to his injury and has learned his lesson. He has the potential to being a key piece for the Yankees for many years.

5. kirwin71 - Jun 4, 2013 at 2:30 PM

This is the 1guy has all question marks to the point he’s been mostly a forgotten man, if he comes up just as a solid young number 2 or 3 yankee fans should be most happy with that, Phil Hughes be driving me up d walls, & with Nova kinna still in the dog house with Joe Jirardi, a player like Pineda should feel like we made a deadline trade.

6. uyf1950 - Jun 4, 2013 at 3:39 PM

I’m keeping my fingers crossed about Pineda. His fastball speed seems to be picking up, last time they said it was 93/94 MPH even touching 95. With a few rehab starts and no set backs even that should improve. I read earlier today that the Yankees intend to use the full 30 days for him to get back into game condition. Then they may or may not send him down to Triple A for a couple of weeks, if they do that will delay his FA by a full year. I would think that will all depend on if the Yankees are still in the thick of the AL East race. If they are I believe they send him to Triple A and gain that extra year of team control. That’s just my opinion.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jun 4, 2013 at 4:58 PM

Correct, if he’s kept down for 2 weeks after his rehab, which the yanks should 100% do, they gain a year before FA. With CC/Kuroda/Pettitte taking up the top 3 spots, that leaves Phelps/Nova/Nuno/Hughes for the 4-5. They (hopefully) won’t need Pineda after the 30 days.

7. fearthehoody - Jun 4, 2013 at 5:17 PM

We had our fingers crossed!!??

-Seattle fans

8. cackalackyank - Jun 4, 2013 at 6:46 PM

Agreed, plus overall pitching is still not the problem. See exhibit A being the 3-0 shutout that Kuroda just lost. The only reason I could see for not making sure to keep the extra year of control would be if a starter went on the DL, OR if a starter was being traded for someone with an on base percentage above .285.

9. dirtyharry1971 - Jun 4, 2013 at 9:38 PM

unlike anyone in the jays farm system this kid is going to be a studd, cant wait to have him this year or next year, he will be well worth the wait

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester