Jun 4, 2013, 2:48 PM EST
In their never-ending quest to acquire speedy, athletic outfielders who can’t really hit the Royals have claimed Quintin Berry off waivers from the Tigers.
Detroit designated Berry for assignment last week after he failed to make the Opening Day roster and hit just .168 in 49 games at Triple-A. Berry was decent for the Tigers last season as a 27-year-old rookie, playing all three outfield spots and posting a .684 OPS while going 21-for-21 stealing bases.
However, there isn’t much in his track record to suggest more than a serviceable backup outfielder and the Royals already have similarly skilled guys like Jarrod Dyson and David Lough on the 40-man roster. For now they’ll stash Berry at Triple-A.
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 137
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 10
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 31
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 36
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (148)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (94)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)