Jun 4, 2013, 2:48 PM EST
In their never-ending quest to acquire speedy, athletic outfielders who can’t really hit the Royals have claimed Quintin Berry off waivers from the Tigers.
Detroit designated Berry for assignment last week after he failed to make the Opening Day roster and hit just .168 in 49 games at Triple-A. Berry was decent for the Tigers last season as a 27-year-old rookie, playing all three outfield spots and posting a .684 OPS while going 21-for-21 stealing bases.
However, there isn’t much in his track record to suggest more than a serviceable backup outfielder and the Royals already have similarly skilled guys like Jarrod Dyson and David Lough on the 40-man roster. For now they’ll stash Berry at Triple-A.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Curt Schilling goes after Obama, says Ronald Reagan would watch “The Interview” (201)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year (86)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)