Jun 4, 2013, 2:48 PM EDT
In their never-ending quest to acquire speedy, athletic outfielders who can’t really hit the Royals have claimed Quintin Berry off waivers from the Tigers.
Detroit designated Berry for assignment last week after he failed to make the Opening Day roster and hit just .168 in 49 games at Triple-A. Berry was decent for the Tigers last season as a 27-year-old rookie, playing all three outfield spots and posting a .684 OPS while going 21-for-21 stealing bases.
However, there isn’t much in his track record to suggest more than a serviceable backup outfielder and the Royals already have similarly skilled guys like Jarrod Dyson and David Lough on the 40-man roster. For now they’ll stash Berry at Triple-A.
- Giants rout Royals 11-4 in Game 4 to even up the World Series at 2-2 10
- Mike Trout, Giancarlo Stanton win the Hank Aaron Award 1
- World Series, Game 4: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Report: Rays owner Stuart Sternberg has discussed moving the team to Montreal 62
- Dave Dombrowski on Miguel Cabrera: “It’s worse than what we ever would have anticipated” 31
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 4
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 36
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 4
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (106)