Jun 4, 2013, 2:48 PM EDT
In their never-ending quest to acquire speedy, athletic outfielders who can’t really hit the Royals have claimed Quintin Berry off waivers from the Tigers.
Detroit designated Berry for assignment last week after he failed to make the Opening Day roster and hit just .168 in 49 games at Triple-A. Berry was decent for the Tigers last season as a 27-year-old rookie, playing all three outfield spots and posting a .684 OPS while going 21-for-21 stealing bases.
However, there isn’t much in his track record to suggest more than a serviceable backup outfielder and the Royals already have similarly skilled guys like Jarrod Dyson and David Lough on the 40-man roster. For now they’ll stash Berry at Triple-A.
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 105
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 71
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 52
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 104
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (106)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (104)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)