Jun 4, 2013, 2:48 PM EDT
In their never-ending quest to acquire speedy, athletic outfielders who can’t really hit the Royals have claimed Quintin Berry off waivers from the Tigers.
Detroit designated Berry for assignment last week after he failed to make the Opening Day roster and hit just .168 in 49 games at Triple-A. Berry was decent for the Tigers last season as a 27-year-old rookie, playing all three outfield spots and posting a .684 OPS while going 21-for-21 stealing bases.
However, there isn’t much in his track record to suggest more than a serviceable backup outfielder and the Royals already have similarly skilled guys like Jarrod Dyson and David Lough on the 40-man roster. For now they’ll stash Berry at Triple-A.
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 5
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 16
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 33
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 70
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 67
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 7
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)