Russell Martin is starting in right field for the Pirates

Jun 4, 2013, 4:16 PM EDT

Russell Martin

Not to be outdone by the Yankees using career-long first baseman Lyle Overbay in right field, the Pirates have catcher Russell Martin in right field tonight against the Braves.

In fairness Martin isn’t a typical catcher in that he’s a good athlete with some speed who’s played 18 games at third base in the majors. With that said, he hasn’t played an inning in the outfield since 2005, when Martin was a 22-year-old at Double-A.

Martin’s usual backup, Michael McKenry, is starting behind the plate and the Pirates’ primary right fielder, left-handed hitter Travis Snider, is on the bench against left-hander Mike Minor.

1. proudlycanadian - Jun 4, 2013 at 4:20 PM

Why not let him play the position he really wants to play? Give Martin a game at shortstop.

2. steelers88 - Jun 4, 2013 at 4:28 PM

Wow Mr.Hurdle he sure knows how to take the pressure off of Dan Byslma and the Pens, now I think we have other things to talk about.

3. paperlions - Jun 4, 2013 at 4:37 PM

The key question here is if Iossogna will eject him if Martin mutters about a bad strike zone while in RF.

4. danaking - Jun 4, 2013 at 4:42 PM

Is this because they’re carrying 14 pitchers, or some other absurd number, and there is no bench to speak of?

5. unclemosesgreen - Jun 4, 2013 at 4:57 PM

They did the same thing with Doumit. Martin has to be a better OF than that beady-eyed chump.

6. hoopmatch - Jun 4, 2013 at 5:32 PM

Here’s what Martin said to PIttsburgh Post-Gazette after Iassogna tossed him out of Monday’s game: ”I say the ‘F’ word often when I play. It’s just who I am. I don’t really see it as a bad thing, it’s just how I express myself. I guess he just didn’t like it.”

7. randygnyc - Jun 4, 2013 at 5:35 PM

Speed? Not unless he’s taking amphetamines. (And I like Martin very much, still)

8. henryd3rd - Jun 5, 2013 at 6:01 AM

They wanted to keep Martin’s bat (.245 BA 7 6 HR’s) in the lineup! What next AJ Burnett pinch hitting?

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. M. Cuddyer (3109)