The first round of NL All-Star balloting results has been released

Jun 4, 2013, 1:30 PM EDT

2013 All Star Game Logo

Yesterday was the AL, today the Senior Circuit. Here are the vote leaders by position:

They don’t do DH balloting in the NL, obviously.  All of the vote totals can be seen here.

While the Reds and Giants are more than well-represented in the top slots, I feel like there is some Braves ballot-box stuffing going on too. Dan Uggla is the fifth place second baseman. Some 400,000+ people think B.J. Upton deserves to be in the All-Star Game. That’s worse than voting for an immobile and inactive Derek Jeter. At least Jeter would play well if he could, you know, walk.

No one is particularly close to Votto, Phillips, Tulowitzki, or Posey. David Wright is within striking distance of Sandoval. Carlos Beltran is a pretty strong fourth outfielder at the moment.  If I remember correctly, Cardinals players surged in later vote tabulations last year, so maybe there’s hope for him and Molina and others.

1. randygnyc - Jun 4, 2013 at 1:36 PM

What’s the problem with bj upton? According to yesterday’s box score, he’s going to shatter the single season hit record. He’s got .154 so far this year.

2. heyblueyoustink - Jun 4, 2013 at 1:43 PM

Not to be a homer or anything, but, um, there’s this dude named Dom Brown. He’s on a teensy bit of a tear right now.

• historiophiliac - Jun 4, 2013 at 1:48 PM

Homer.

If I remember correctly, I voted for Svelte Delmon Young. You’re welcome.

• heyblueyoustink - Jun 4, 2013 at 1:57 PM

Then you have six more times to vote! :-)

Like in a real election, where the dead make sure their voices are heard.

• historiophiliac - Jun 4, 2013 at 1:59 PM

I love that part of Gangs of New York. I already voted. Just once? lol

• jm91rs - Jun 4, 2013 at 1:55 PM

Did you forget it’s a popularity contest? Upton, Harper and Braun are infinitely more popular. Hopefully Brown makes it as a reserve.

• paperlions - Jun 4, 2013 at 1:59 PM

They are also better players with longer track records.

• heyblueyoustink - Jun 4, 2013 at 2:13 PM

I love that thought process. That track record should have anything to do with it. Especially when you throw the long sample size of Harper last year.

It’s a hype event.

• paperlions - Jun 4, 2013 at 2:19 PM

Of course track record should matter. It is the All-STAR game, not the the All-who-had-a-nice-first-two-months-game. Voting for players because they had a nice two months that appear to be an anomaly is kind of stupid, and not really what the ASG is supposed to represent.

I guess that mean Matt Carpenter should be starting at 2B because he’s been the best all-around 2B in the majors this year: best offensive 2B and among the better defensive players as well.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Jun 4, 2013 at 2:28 PM

@paper

“They are also better players with longer track records”

I have a loaf of bread that is older then Harper’s MLB career. And yes, Harper is better than Brown – unless you count what each player has done this year

• paperlions - Jun 4, 2013 at 2:36 PM

Please provide evidence that Brown has been a better player than Harper this year. Harper is the far superior defender, slugs at a similar rate, and has a far superior batting average.

• sneschalmers - Jun 4, 2013 at 2:43 PM

@DelawarePhilliesFan – I love me some Dom Brown, but I’m not sure why you’re trying to trash Harper. Statistically, Harper and Brown are having very comparable years with Harper having a noticeable edge in OBP. Here are their current slash lines:

Brown: .291/.329/.592
        Harper: .287/.386/.587

I think there are some recency effects at play right now since Brown had a spectacular May, while Harper has been hampered by injuries. Harper started off the season scorching hot, while Brown struggled mightily.

Like I said before, I’m a big Dom Brown fan, but I won’t be mad if Harper ends up starting over Brown.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Jun 4, 2013 at 2:48 PM

I’ll gladly engage you in any discussion of the pros and cons of Brown vs. Harper when you acknowldge the complete fallacy of your “longer track record” remark regdarding Harper. But I am not going to debate someone who is at the moment in an alternate universe.

All Star game voting is a populraity contest, plain and simple. Mike Schmidt was voted as a starter in 1989 – despite a batting averege of .203, 6 HR’s, .943 feilding avergae…..plus the fact the was had retired 2 months earlier!

But hey, he did have that “track record” thing, didn’t he?

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Jun 4, 2013 at 2:49 PM

@snes – I did not trash Harper, I said he does not have a long track record.

• sneschalmers - Jun 4, 2013 at 3:00 PM

@Delaware – I suppose ‘trash’ is a strong term, but you did say, “And yes, Harper is better than Brown – unless you count what each player has done this year.”

Their years have been decidedly similar, except for Harper’s OBP.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Jun 4, 2013 at 3:05 PM

@snes – correct, I countered the claim that Harper was “a better player”.

• paperlions - Jun 4, 2013 at 3:06 PM

You are right. I should have expanded the thought. Harper has a longer track record of being a good player, which started as soon as he showed up in the majors. Brown has had a fantastic 3 weeks.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Jun 4, 2013 at 3:13 PM

@paper – thank you for confirming your kool aid thoughts

Personally, I am voting for Willie Stargell for the All Star game

• Francisco (FC) - Jun 4, 2013 at 4:25 PM

Track Record? Then why is this an ANNUAL event? Why do I care what player A did two years ago in 2011 when picking for the 2013 All-Star game?

3. historiophiliac - Jun 4, 2013 at 1:47 PM

That is not who I picked at all! :(

• atltoarizona - Jun 4, 2013 at 1:53 PM

Then you probably picked wrong.

4. thepancakebandit - Jun 4, 2013 at 1:50 PM

Um….Jean Segura?!

That’s okay – I’ll be fine with his RoY honors.

• chadjones27 - Jun 4, 2013 at 2:00 PM

Not gonna happen. Jeter will win that.

• atltoarizona - Jun 4, 2013 at 2:10 PM

Am I missing something? Jeter plays in the AL and Segura in the NL

• historiophiliac - Jun 4, 2013 at 2:16 PM

Yes, what’s wrong with that is the league difference. lol

Sorry, dude.

• gmagic9044 - Jun 4, 2013 at 2:19 PM

I’m sure it was said tongue fully logged in cheek.

In order to be classed a rookie, you can’t amass over 130 at-bats or have spent more than 45 days on the active roster prior to the season…

Jeter just missed those qualifications by 11,765 at bats and about 17 years of playing experience…

• thepancakebandit - Jun 4, 2013 at 2:25 PM

That’s true. As a lifelong Brewers and Red Sox fan – and with the ASG being a popularity contest – I 100% agree with you.

• gmagic9044 - Jun 4, 2013 at 2:11 PM

The RoY vote will be very interesting this year.

Segura, Evan Gattis, Jedd Gyorko, Shelby Miller, Hyun-Jin Ryu, Yasiel Puig (potentially).

Right now, Gattis may have the slimmest of leads (having won NL RoM for April and May) but it will definitely be an interesting race to watch. See if the league catches up to these guys, or if they continue to adjust.

• thepancakebandit - Jun 4, 2013 at 2:27 PM

My vote is for Jean the Machine :)

What a great pickup!

• therealbigben - Jun 4, 2013 at 2:20 PM

Love me some Segura but dude had 148 ABs last year which is over the limit of 130 ABs to be a rookie. Sorry but thanks for playing

• thepancakebandit - Jun 4, 2013 at 2:28 PM

Son of a!

• muskyhunter2542 - Jun 5, 2013 at 10:39 AM

Unfortunately he does not qualify for ROY because he had to many At Bats last year.
      However, he should make it to the All Star Game as a reserve.

• Walk - Jun 5, 2013 at 12:32 PM

How many rookie of the month awards does segura have?

5. paperlions - Jun 4, 2013 at 2:01 PM

When the Cardinals are doing well, I hope that as few of them as possible go to the ASG. A few days off in July can’t hurt. I couldn’t really give two shits about who plays in the ASG (though, it would be great if the NL won for home field).

• historiophiliac - Jun 4, 2013 at 2:04 PM

You’re shitting aside, I didn’t vote for Holliday or Kozma. They did not fit the math.

• paperlions - Jun 4, 2013 at 2:07 PM

Their is ASG voting math?

• historiophiliac - Jun 4, 2013 at 2:09 PM

Oh, yes. I went through and picked a bunch of dudes with BA’s below .250. It’s all numbers. I’m kinda surprised to have to school you on that.

You’re welcome.

• paperlions - Jun 4, 2013 at 2:11 PM

Oh, the NL bias math. Did you make a special exception to vote for MY?

• historiophiliac - Jun 4, 2013 at 2:14 PM

No, I had a 1 Young limit. I’m sure I picked all your other favorites though.

• historiophiliac - Jun 4, 2013 at 3:44 PM

*your

• paperlions - Jun 4, 2013 at 3:45 PM

doh!

• historiophiliac - Jun 4, 2013 at 7:34 PM

I think I might’ve cost you some fanboys.

• paperlions - Jun 4, 2013 at 8:20 PM

Could you help me shed some more? Life is bothersome if too many people agree with me.

• historiophiliac - Jun 4, 2013 at 8:22 PM

I think if you just keep talking to me, you’ll eventually lose more.

• historiophiliac - Jun 4, 2013 at 8:50 PM

Oh, and toss me more olives. That’ll probably help.

• paperlions - Jun 4, 2013 at 8:52 PM

Yeah, that’s a good idea. Since it warmed up, I’ve been slacking on the martini’s….while a drink for all season, they are more satisfying in cooler weather.

• historiophiliac - Jun 4, 2013 at 8:54 PM

That’s a negative. I like them year round. I’m going to mix up some sangria this weekend, I think. I keep a pitcher around in the summer. Sangria goes with baseball, right?

• paperlions - Jun 4, 2013 at 9:02 PM

Sure.

Martini’s go with BBQ chicken, right?

• historiophiliac - Jun 4, 2013 at 9:04 PM

Mmmmmmm. How about with spinach enchiladas?

• paperlions - Jun 4, 2013 at 9:05 PM

Sure, what doesn’t go with enchiladas?

• historiophiliac - Jun 4, 2013 at 9:05 PM

Rum. Blech!

6. hisgirlgotburrelled - Jun 4, 2013 at 2:05 PM

Last year I was at a game in mid-June in Philly. No ballots handed out. I was at the games Friday and Saturday. No ballots handed out. Not sure about last year, but they have stands for ballots. They’re far enough into the concourse where you can walk right by and not notice.

Is this a new trend in other cities, ballots aren’t handed out by the ushers?

The first thing that crossed my mind when I saw the stacks of ballots in this stand was “I’m snagging a ton of them and voting for Delmon Young.”

7. captainwisdom8888 - Jun 4, 2013 at 2:10 PM

It’s a shame that a popularity contest doesn’t earn the league leader in home runs a spot on the Allstar team. Dominic Brown is torching everyone he faces right now, and he is a much appreciated bright spot on a Phillies team that many believe will undergo a fire-sale sometime soon in an effort to bolster their farm system.

• thepancakebandit - Jun 4, 2013 at 2:29 PM

Not even a Phillies fan (or even close) but I love Dominic Brown!

• rufuscornpone - Jun 4, 2013 at 2:44 PM

First off, Dominic Brown is not one of the three best outfielders in the NL right now. Gomez, Choo, Harper, Cargo are all better thus far. Plus there is still a month+ of voting left.

Secondly, if Brown keeps playing well, he will almost certainly make the all-star team as a reserve anyway.

Thirdly, Dom Brown has played exactly 1 good month of MLB baseball in his life. I’m sure he will play many, many more, but at this point, 1 good month does not equal the worst all-star snubbing ever. Especially considering there hasn’t even been an all-star game to snub him from yet.

• Joe - Jun 4, 2013 at 2:59 PM

You realize that more than just these 8 players will be on the All Star team, right? If Brown continues to impress through June, he’ll be an All Star.

• hansob - Jun 4, 2013 at 6:50 PM

he was hitting .243/.288/.414 TWO WEEKS AGO. I don’t know when the ballots came out, but it’s not like all these votes are from yesterday. And I think you can make a pretty good argument that a good two weeks shouldn’t earn an all star vote.

8. knowlegeforyou - Jun 4, 2013 at 2:16 PM

What is worse is the fact the The AL and MLB hr leader isn’t on the ballot for the hr derby along with the NL leader and runner up at the moment yet Dunn Beltran Heyward and Stanton are on it.

• historiophiliac - Jun 4, 2013 at 2:30 PM

Wouldn’t it be cool if Brandon Inge got picked again? Like a Derby mulligan.

9. thebadguyswon - Jun 4, 2013 at 2:21 PM

That fatass is nowhere near as good as David Wright. This is war you SF area hackers. You want ballot stuffing? You got it.

• historiophiliac - Jun 4, 2013 at 2:28 PM

Bring it. We declare a thumb war!

• thepancakebandit - Jun 4, 2013 at 2:34 PM

David Wright is the man. No one is taking his spot.

• neoshweaty - Jun 4, 2013 at 4:05 PM

First off, LOVE the user name. Secondly, how is Captain America not starting when the All-Star game is IN CITI FIELD?! I will take up your call to arms.

• thebadguyswon - Jun 4, 2013 at 4:18 PM

Thank you….yes, its from the book. ;-)

• longliveyadi - Jun 5, 2013 at 2:46 PM

Isn’t Pablo Hurt? And struggling?

10. pillowporkers - Jun 4, 2013 at 2:31 PM

So who is a big enough fan to vote for the All-Star game, but not enough of a fan to actually vote for people like BJ Upton?

I’d like to see some Paul Goldschmidt, Carlos Gonzalez, and other players that are playing better than those who are leading the polls.

• thepancakebandit - Jun 4, 2013 at 2:36 PM

Maybe I’m confused, but…. Who would vote for BJ Upton? His brother, sure. But you’re out of your mind to think BJ is getting in.

11. 13arod - Jun 4, 2013 at 2:35 PM

heyblueyoustink brown started to get on a tear 2 weeks ago it will take a while for him to get votes now

12. Darkoestrada - Jun 4, 2013 at 3:34 PM

Id like to see Carlos Gomez get some recognition as a starter but that won’t happen. At least he should get a spot as a reserve. You can’t really argue with the outfield starters. There are a lot of good nl outfielders including the other cargo in Colorado.

13. tycobbfromfangraphs - Jun 4, 2013 at 3:35 PM

If you have voted already for the ASG you should be slapped hard in the mouth.

14. gmagic9044 - Jun 4, 2013 at 6:34 PM

Why all the commotion, anyways?

It’s not like this game matters…oh, wait…

15. longliveyadi - Jun 5, 2013 at 2:34 PM

People are insane. Molina is leading the national league in batting. And he’s probably the best defensive catcher in all of baseball! People keep talking about how you should look at the stats and yet they’re all voting for posey. And look how good the cardinals pitching staff has been, yadi knows how to call a game and manage his pitchers. I just don’t understand why people aren’t voting for him…

16. darthbarker125 - Jun 6, 2013 at 6:14 PM

Paul Goldschmidt should be the 1st baseman for the All-Star Game. He has the best stats out of all of them. They should really change the way of voting this year.

Teams searching for trade deadline impact
  1. H. Street (3833)