Jun 4, 2013, 3:07 PM EDT
Umpire Kerwin Danley had to leave last night’s Reds-Rockies game after being hit in the mask with a pitch. He says he’s OK, but the story about it reveals just how much abuse umpires take:
Danley has suffered several head injuries during his 16-year career.
A year later, he was taken off the field in Toronto on a stretcher after the barrel of Hank Blalock’s broken bat hit him flush on the mask. He was released from a hospital the next day.
While you don’t see a stretcher take an umpire out very often, I bet Danley is not some anomaly when it comes to getting beat up behind the plate. You have to figure those guys have more bruises, sore spots and old knots than anyone besides catchers.
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 0
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 8
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 23
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 17
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 23
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 43
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 11
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (264)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)