Jun 4, 2013, 3:07 PM EDT
Umpire Kerwin Danley had to leave last night’s Reds-Rockies game after being hit in the mask with a pitch. He says he’s OK, but the story about it reveals just how much abuse umpires take:
Danley has suffered several head injuries during his 16-year career.
A year later, he was taken off the field in Toronto on a stretcher after the barrel of Hank Blalock’s broken bat hit him flush on the mask. He was released from a hospital the next day.
While you don’t see a stretcher take an umpire out very often, I bet Danley is not some anomaly when it comes to getting beat up behind the plate. You have to figure those guys have more bruises, sore spots and old knots than anyone besides catchers.
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 5
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 99
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 17
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 28
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 31
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 18
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 85
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 30
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (99)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)