Jun 4, 2013, 10:15 AM EDT
Ben Francisco went unclaimed on waivers after being designated for assignment last week and the Yankees have released the 31-year-old outfielder.
Francisco signed with the Yankees after being released by the Indians in spring training, but hit just .114 in 21 games. He was a solid part-time player early in his career, but Francisco has a .230 batting average and .664 OPS in 203 games since 2011.
Wherever he winds up, at this point it seems likely that he’ll have to hit his way back to the majors with a good stint at Triple-A.
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 1
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 19
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 11
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 36
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 11
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 42
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 186
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (186)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)