Jun 4, 2013, 10:15 AM EDT
Ben Francisco went unclaimed on waivers after being designated for assignment last week and the Yankees have released the 31-year-old outfielder.
Francisco signed with the Yankees after being released by the Indians in spring training, but hit just .114 in 21 games. He was a solid part-time player early in his career, but Francisco has a .230 batting average and .664 OPS in 203 games since 2011.
Wherever he winds up, at this point it seems likely that he’ll have to hit his way back to the majors with a good stint at Triple-A.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (241)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (109)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)