Camden Yards assault victim’s condition deteriorates

Jun 5, 2013, 10:33 AM EDT

Cincinnati Reds v Baltimore Orioles Getty Images

Bad news from Baltimore. The condition of Mathew Fortese, the man who was attacked by two fans during last week’s Nats-Orioles game has grown worse. The report from WBAL:

Baltimore police said the condition of a man who was knocked unconscious after he was punched and fell during a baseball game at Oriole Park at Camden Yards last week has gotten worse … Police said Fortese suffered a skull fracture. He was taken to Shock Trauma, where he was initially listed in serious condition.  He was downgraded to critical condition Monday evening, Shock Trauma officials said.

The two men who attacked Fortese are Gregory Fleischman and Michael Bell. They were charged with first- and second-degree assault and disorderly conduct and second-degree assault and disorderly conduct, respectively. Here’s hoping for Fortese’s sake and fate that the charges won’t need to be revised upward.

1. Jeremiah Graves - Jun 5, 2013 at 10:45 AM

Remember back when people would go to a ball game, have a few beers, enjoy a nice evening, and then go home without incident?!

There should be some sort of douche-bag DNA testing and if you’re prone to getting drunk and heckling other fans who overpaid for seats or getting in pointless fights, you’re not allowed in the damn stadium.

I hope Fortese rallies and makes a full recovery.

• Roger Moore - Jun 5, 2013 at 11:26 AM

I have an even better, simpler solution than DNA testing. If you actually get drunk and start heckling other fans, security throws you out of the stadium before you can get into a fight. Also, vendors refuse to sell beer to fans who are obviously intoxicated.

• Glenn - Jun 5, 2013 at 11:37 AM

I didn’t see alcohol mentioned in the story or the charges.

• Roger Moore - Jun 5, 2013 at 11:42 AM

@Glenn:

One of the perps threw beer on the victim and his girlfriend, so alcohol was certainly involved in the incident. If you think the guy had beer exclusively so he could throw it on the couple he was heckling, I have a friend in Nigeria with a business proposition for you.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jun 5, 2013 at 12:49 PM

I can only give you $100K. Is that enough to get started?

• Glenn - Jun 5, 2013 at 11:41 AM

It’s nice to think that things were more civil in the past, but I wouldn’t wear my Red Sox hat to the Bronx in the 70′s, and that’s 40 years ago.

• yahmule - Jun 5, 2013 at 11:51 AM

My friend told me he was at a Red Sox game is the late 70s and some drunk in the stands yelled at Jim Rice that he was a “lazy ****ing n-word”. No ejection. I remember seeing fights in the stands at Dodger games routinely throughout the 80s. Drunken idiots getting loose in public is nothing new.

• louhudson23 - Jun 5, 2013 at 12:38 PM

I remember being hit with lobbed paper bags and cups in Memorial Stadium wearing a Yankees cap…..but folks weren’t drilling me,it was pretty much in good fun….more or less…..but beating someone nearly to death is someting else altogether….but I think more people got stoned at the park back then……which is generally a more peaceful setting than folks getting shitfaced drunk…..

• maxt75 - Jun 5, 2013 at 1:28 PM

I was 8 years old when my uncle took me to my first MLB game. 1968 Yankees/Red Sox at Fenway Park. To this day all I remember were the fights in the stands. Pretty eye opening experience for an 8 year old.
        lol. I still wish he had taken me to a Red Sox/Senators game instead. Maybe I would have remembered more of the game.

• Roger Moore - Jun 5, 2013 at 2:16 PM

Bill James has a comment about this in the New Historical Baseball Abstract*. His comment was that in the late 1970s and early 1980s, things were really awful, with drunken, obnoxious fans so common it was impossible to avoid them when you went to a game. It got immediately, dramatically better in 1984 because teams started taking the problem seriously. The beefed up security, stopped selling beer to people who were obviously drunk, watched for drunken fans much more carefully, etc. It’s too bad the problem is cropping up again, but MLB has successfully dealt with problems of drunken, rowdy fans in the past, so they ought to be able to do it again today.

*An interesting point for people who think he’s only about stats.

2. rbj1 - Jun 5, 2013 at 10:48 AM

Jeebus, I wear my Yankees cap everywhere. Get some good natured ribbing but nothing like this. It’s sports people, meant to be entertainment not a replacement for having a life.

3. pellypell - Jun 5, 2013 at 10:49 AM

What sort of sick focks think it is OK to assault and almost kill someone over a baseball jersey? I can’t comprehend this World we live in.

• randygnyc - Jun 5, 2013 at 11:25 AM

Multiplepeggs down thread is that type of douchebag.

4. redsoxted9 - Jun 5, 2013 at 10:51 AM

Throw the book at these fools. It’s too bad they weren’t thrown out during the several innings of continuing escalation. Rooting for Fortese.

5. ryanrockzzz - Jun 5, 2013 at 10:59 AM

Just a shame. I just don’t get people sometimes, but when you go to games in Phily you see it firsthand. Usually, it’s alcohol related. Sometimes, it’s just Philly trash related. When those to forces get together, you have the dude throwing beers at people. I’m sure it’s the same in some cases at Orioles games. Hopefully Fortese can make a full recovery and live a normal life again, rooting for em!

• dennisund - Jun 5, 2013 at 11:30 AM

“when you go to games in Phily you see it firsthand”

No, you don’t. I promise you I have been to more games in Philly than you, and I don’t see that at all. I see the ribbing, the jawing, we live for the drama of the game. This incident is worse than what’s happened in Philly since…how old are you? This incident had nothing to do with Philly, the irony is that people that have logical impairments point to Philly while THIS is happening in Baltimore.

• mybrunoblog - Jun 5, 2013 at 2:32 PM

I went to the 2009 WS at the Phillie ballpark with a friend. We were both dressed in full Yankee regalia. I didn’t hear a word all night. We expected to get crucified. Now I understand a WS crowd is different than a regular season crowd but I was impressed by their fans that night.
        Phillies fans (deservedly so) had an awful reputation from the 1960s through the 90s but things change. I’m not saying Philadelphia ballparks (baseball, football, bskbll etc.) are some utopia but it’s clearly a lot better than it used to be for visiting fans.

• drunkenhooliganism - Jun 5, 2013 at 11:47 AM

I have season tickets and I take my four and five year old to a lot of Phillies’ games. Never felt that I shouldn’t take my kids because I was worried for their safety.

Maybe it’s the people you hang out with that are the problem.

• hisgirlgotburrelled - Jun 5, 2013 at 12:14 PM

“I’m sure it’s the same in some cases at Orioles games”

How the fuck are you talking about Philadelphia because of something that happened in Baltimore? No, it’s not the same in some cases. The case, this case, happened in Baltimore. Not Philadelphia.

This is the single dumbest comment I have ever seen on this blog. Unbelievable 14 fking people clicked thumbs up.

• hisgirlgotburrelled - Jun 5, 2013 at 12:21 PM

Ok, second dumbest; I had not scrolled down yet and seen what this multiplemiggs dude is writing.

• strk3 - Jun 5, 2013 at 10:09 PM

This guy has probably never been to CBP. Like most simpletons, he’s just buying into the media embellished reputation of Philly fans.

6. tomtravis76 - Jun 5, 2013 at 11:02 AM

A bunch a families lives ruined because two idiots take rooting for one team too serious.

• blacksables - Jun 5, 2013 at 1:15 PM

Do you really think this was about rooting for the team?

That’s like saying gang bangers shoot each other becasue someone dropped litter in the street.

Violent people don’t need a reason to be violent.

• tomtravis76 - Jun 5, 2013 at 2:47 PM

Yes, it was two Orioles fans thinking that a Yankees fan didn’t belong in Camden yards. So, yes it was like gangbangers behaving like someone from another gang was on their turf littering it with opposing colors.

I don’t know if the two assailants have a criminal history, but I do think alcohol played a big part in the worst moment of their lives.

7. beefytrout - Jun 5, 2013 at 11:14 AM

It seems like there is an abundance of “someone fell and hit their head and was seriously injured” stories these days. Is this something rather recent? I don’t recall hearing about these stories (at least with this much frequency) until about 3-4 years ago.

• raysfan1 - Jun 5, 2013 at 11:35 AM

Incidents to the level of this one have always made national news. Where the impression that head injuries in general are on the increase comes from is actually better awareness rather than higher incidence. In previous decades athletes, when they sustained a concussion, would have the injury minimized and described as “getting their bell rung.” Studies, particularly involving soldiers returning from the Middle East and after autopsies on a number of deceased football players found to have chronic traumatic encephalopathy have made it clear that brain injuries like concussions have to be taken seriously. As a result, sports organizations have instituted rules for mandatory time on the DL, etc, that result in more media coverage of such injuries as well.

• beefytrout - Jun 5, 2013 at 11:39 AM

Wasn’t talking about soldiers or athletes. Was talking about random people.

• raysfan1 - Jun 5, 2013 at 1:45 PM

However, it extends to “random people” as we’ll. The research on the athletes and soldiers has in turn affected the standards of care for all patients with traumatic brain injuries.

8. multiplemiggs - Jun 5, 2013 at 11:16 AM

This is good to hear. A lesson learned for moron fans who wear a teams hat who isn’t even playing and starting with the home fans, then try to attack them. The charges will be dropped. It was self-defense. A lesson learned for all immature idiots who come rooting for a team not playing.

• randygnyc - Jun 5, 2013 at 11:26 AM

The only shame here is that you weren’t the victim.

• dexterismyhero - Jun 5, 2013 at 11:39 AM

Hey Craig, get this loser out of here. I mean c’mon, how can you let a post like that go through?

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jun 5, 2013 at 11:41 AM

The charges will be dropped. It was self-defense.

Here’s what happened:

Hometown morons mock victim b/c victim is wearing a Yankees hat. Victim responds back with (probable) insults. Morons throw beer on the victim. When victim goes to confront the morons, they punch him in the head where victim falls over a rail and hits his head on the concrete.

Where’s the self defense here?

• tomtravis76 - Jun 5, 2013 at 11:41 AM

It’s not self defense when you provoke the incident. While yes it seems moronic to wear a Jersey of a team not even playing in the game, who really cares. Does someone actually deserve to lose their life over a sporting event?

The Orioles should ban those two guys for life from Camden yards.

• specialkindofstupid - Jun 5, 2013 at 11:50 AM

“A lesson learned for all immature idiots who come rooting for a team not playing.” – multiplemiggs

I cannot tell if you’re joking or just ridiculously, smothers-himself-in-peanut-butter insane. Do you also endorse the beating of anyone who wears a Hulk t-shirt to the upcoming “Man of Steel” movie? Or, to put it in a way that likely will make more sense to you: Do you also endorse the beating of anyone who super karate monkey death car when they silly rabbit Trix are for kids?

• bigmeechy74 - Jun 5, 2013 at 2:29 PM

Hey troll at least you got one “thumbs up.” Was it you?

9. randygnyc - Jun 5, 2013 at 11:20 AM

I hope Fortese makes a full recovery. I hope the thugs attacked him stay in jail until that happens. And yes, I know that it might never happen.

10. spideysdog - Jun 5, 2013 at 11:32 AM

multiplemiggs,

my guess is one of three things…
    a. your mother never hugged you or told you she loved you
    b. high school was something “other people” did
    c. your still living in mommies basement and playing call of duty. at the ripe young age of 46.

to call this a “lesson learned” is just moronic. I don’t care who you root for or what someone is wearing. there are lines you dont cross. possibly killing someone over baseball paraphernalia is a flat out joke.

hope these two get everything coming to them, and family forgets to send them soap on a rope.

11. multiplemiggs - Jun 5, 2013 at 11:46 AM

I am not the victim because I am not the moron who wears a division rivals jersey to a game they aren’t playing to draw attention to myself and then start with all of the other fans. And your facts are incorrect lol. I live in a mini-mansion in south Florida, am 35 years old, have a 35 foot yacht docked out back, make $211,000 and have tons of free time to come on here and chat with you fine people with my legs kicked up on my desk lol. But it’s ok, you were close!

• yahmule - Jun 5, 2013 at 11:56 AM

I’ll bet that’s not the only mini thing you possess.

• steelers24019 - Jun 5, 2013 at 12:04 PM

You are a troll and I’m sure your life is as pathetic as your comments

• louhudson23 - Jun 5, 2013 at 12:50 PM

So you are proof once again that making money has nothing to do with intelligence or common sense.Clearly you wake up every morning to look in the mirror and become filled with self loathing . So,the short period of time it takes to be exposed to your inanity here is a small thing compared to having to live inside the head of a dickhead like you….and your seeming lack of self awareness is simply your minds way of ignoring the fact that you are a miserable and sorry excuse for a human being….but you already know that….deep down…you here the voice ….”I am a miserable dick and my life sucks…” over and over but you fight it…..you fight it by writing stupid ass shit like the posts you have written here…and it makes it all go away for awhile……but you know it is only temporary,because tomorrow morning ,the mirror awaits yet again…..and it all starts over,day after day….with only your sorry ass self as company to your true misery……good for you……

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jun 5, 2013 at 12:56 PM

But your honor, did you see the clothes she was wearing? She was asking for it!

See how dumb you are.

• beachnbaseball - Jun 5, 2013 at 12:59 PM

The only “min-” thing you own is between your ears.

• beaglemix - Jun 5, 2013 at 6:40 PM

WTF is a mini-mansion? For someone trying to seem wealthy your purported income hardly qualifies. Self-important yet nothing better to do but troll sport blogs looking for a fight. Class is also clearly out of this equation.

• spideysdog - Jun 5, 2013 at 7:45 PM

Hint, bragging about what you have is a clear sign of what you don’t have. The fact that you would attempt to justify a possibly deadly assault over baseball allegiance proves that the “mini” thing you speak of is most certainly NOT a mansion.

I am going to assume that your “mini-mansion” is what most of us call a “double wide”. Your 35 foot yacht is actually a 13.5 foot blowup raft, and “211,000″ is actually your lifetime disability benefits. I do, based on my most certain belief that you do indeed have plenty of free time, unless mommy has called you to the dinner table.

12. gunpowderjones - Jun 5, 2013 at 12:03 PM

Our chief export is douchebags, so I’m not surprised that this guy lives down here.

13. multiplemiggs - Jun 5, 2013 at 12:04 PM

You’re right I also possess a mini fridge in my office. Were you trying to suggest I have a small penis? That’s very mature!

• hisgirlgotburrelled - Jun 5, 2013 at 12:17 PM

Mature is a funny word for you to use.

• jb8588 - Jun 5, 2013 at 12:21 PM

Really hilarious how you attempt to call someone out for being “immature” after the kind of idiotic comments you’re making. The fact that you either really believe your comments are “mature” or that you have nothing else better to do than be an online troll just proves how pathetic you really are.

• yahmule - Jun 5, 2013 at 7:13 PM

I was implying you have a mini intellect. Interesting that your first thought was about another insecurity.

14. multiplemiggs - Jun 5, 2013 at 12:19 PM

Well unfortunately for you steelersloser, it isn’t. lol

15. multiplemiggs - Jun 5, 2013 at 12:23 PM

And your comment is even funnier because it is true that Philly fans are the trashiest in the nation and the situation is comparable. The Yankee cap wearing troublemaker is very comparable to a Philly fan.

16. steelers24019 - Jun 5, 2013 at 12:31 PM

OHHH Steelerloser. That hurts and is very original. You act like your the first loser troll to claim they have a great life. Tell us more about your great life. Where is your dingy docked?

17. multiplemiggs - Jun 5, 2013 at 12:35 PM

Say what you want, in the end I am right. You all act like you were there. Further details will emerge as this case is brought into court. Innocent until proven guilty remember? Call me what you want, at least I am not Anti-American like you communist pieces of garbage.

• raysfan1 - Jun 5, 2013 at 2:44 PM

Sure, I agree with the presumption of innocence, and if it turns out that the two young men acted in self-defense (even though there has not been a scintilla of evidence suggesting that reported in the media), great. However, what happened to the other fellow is tragic nonetheless. Stating “it’s good to hear” that a fellow human being is in critical condition is callous and inhuman.

18. multiplemiggs - Jun 5, 2013 at 12:42 PM

Haha funny, sorry but I’m not exposing where I live. But the Intracoastal is the only detail I will give.

• steelers24019 - Jun 5, 2013 at 12:52 PM

Why, you’ve already “exposed” so much else? You claim we act like we were there but it is you who are claiming self defense and saying that details will emerge so it is you who are acting like you were there, but maybe a jetsetter such as yourself was there? Why would you call any of us communists or garbage?

19. specialkindofstupid - Jun 5, 2013 at 12:47 PM

Maybe, but that wasn’t (entirely) your initial argument. You wrote: “This is good to hear. (…) A lesson learned for all immature idiots who come rooting for a team not playing.”

Even if it turns out both parties were in the wrong, it doesn’t change the little matter of you more or less endorsing the attack of anyone who has the nerve to wear another team’s apparel. That is what (most) everyone is up in arms about.

That and your dick-ish ways.

• dennisund - Jun 5, 2013 at 12:56 PM

“dick-ish ways”

You, sir, are a gentleman for throwing ‘ish’ at the end of that.

20. multiplemiggs - Jun 5, 2013 at 1:00 PM

haahahahahahahahahaha

21. thebadguyswon - Jun 5, 2013 at 1:23 PM

Just ban alcohol from ballparks. If people can’t go without drinking, maybe they need AA instead of a ballgame.

22. multiplemiggs - Jun 5, 2013 at 2:45 PM

bigmeechy – Lol no I dont thumbs up my own comments but your comment is pretty funny coming from someone who names themselves after a convicted felon.

23. multiplemiggs - Jun 5, 2013 at 5:15 PM

It is not callous and inhuman, it is God’s will to choose this guy to bring him to the heavenly gates. You should be happy he isn’t going downstairs.

• raysfan1 - Jun 5, 2013 at 11:51 PM

Your attitude toward this man most certainly is both callous and inhuman. That you have no insight into that is not in the least surprising although it is abundantly clear to virtually all others.

24. thebadguyswon - Jun 5, 2013 at 5:35 PM

Jesus…..how is this guy not banned, again?

25. multiplemiggs - Jun 5, 2013 at 5:54 PM

Because this isn’t Nazi Germany you Gestapo fool. You can’t ban someone from speaking their mind. Welcome to America.

Colby-on-Colby crime in Toronto