Jun 5, 2013, 10:15 AM EST
Jake Peavy failed to make it out of the third inning against the Mariners last night, getting knocked around for six runs before leaving with a rib injury that puts his status in question.
Dan Hayes of CSNChicago.com reports that Peavy is scheduled to undergo an MRI exam today and the White Sox right-hander certainly didn’t sound optimistic, saying:
I can’t imagine throwing the ball in the next few days feeling the way I feel now. It’s something that’s pretty acute, pretty sharp. I couldn’t physically do much from the start of the game. Try to gut through it and it’s just frustrating. I’m hurting to take a deep breath. Just walking I can feel it. Something is going on.
Peavy struggled to reach 90 miles per hour with his fastball and indicated that the injury feels similar to when he had broken ribs in 2005. Hayes reports that Peavy felt discomfort over the weekend and visited a doctor Monday before deciding to pitch through the injury with terrible results.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 162
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (162)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (137)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)