Jun 5, 2013, 10:15 AM EDT
Jake Peavy failed to make it out of the third inning against the Mariners last night, getting knocked around for six runs before leaving with a rib injury that puts his status in question.
Dan Hayes of CSNChicago.com reports that Peavy is scheduled to undergo an MRI exam today and the White Sox right-hander certainly didn’t sound optimistic, saying:
I can’t imagine throwing the ball in the next few days feeling the way I feel now. It’s something that’s pretty acute, pretty sharp. I couldn’t physically do much from the start of the game. Try to gut through it and it’s just frustrating. I’m hurting to take a deep breath. Just walking I can feel it. Something is going on.
Peavy struggled to reach 90 miles per hour with his fastball and indicated that the injury feels similar to when he had broken ribs in 2005. Hayes reports that Peavy felt discomfort over the weekend and visited a doctor Monday before deciding to pitch through the injury with terrible results.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 43
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 50
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 72
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 56
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 50
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 95
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (198)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (104)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)