Jun 5, 2013, 10:15 AM EST
Jake Peavy failed to make it out of the third inning against the Mariners last night, getting knocked around for six runs before leaving with a rib injury that puts his status in question.
Dan Hayes of CSNChicago.com reports that Peavy is scheduled to undergo an MRI exam today and the White Sox right-hander certainly didn’t sound optimistic, saying:
I can’t imagine throwing the ball in the next few days feeling the way I feel now. It’s something that’s pretty acute, pretty sharp. I couldn’t physically do much from the start of the game. Try to gut through it and it’s just frustrating. I’m hurting to take a deep breath. Just walking I can feel it. Something is going on.
Peavy struggled to reach 90 miles per hour with his fastball and indicated that the injury feels similar to when he had broken ribs in 2005. Hayes reports that Peavy felt discomfort over the weekend and visited a doctor Monday before deciding to pitch through the injury with terrible results.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 56
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 85
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 37
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 14
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year (85)