Jun 5, 2013, 2:20 PM EST
Familia was a highly regarded prospect heading into 2012, but mostly struggled at Triple-A last season and has shifted to the bullpen full time in the majors.
Relative to other arm surgeries removing bone spurs is pretty minor, but general manager Sandy Alderson estimated that the 23-year-old is expected to be shut down for at least 6-8 weeks. And then he’ll have to go on a minor-league rehab assignment and build up arm strength, so it’s no guarantee that Familia will pitch in the majors again this season.
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 8
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 15
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Sean Doolittle has a “slight” rotator cuff tear, won’t be ready for Opening Day 4
- Ryan Vogelsong re-signs with Giants after flirting with Astros 17
- Phillies and Brewers moving closer to Jonathan Papelbon trade 52
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (143)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 (75)