Jun 5, 2013, 2:20 PM EDT
Familia was a highly regarded prospect heading into 2012, but mostly struggled at Triple-A last season and has shifted to the bullpen full time in the majors.
Relative to other arm surgeries removing bone spurs is pretty minor, but general manager Sandy Alderson estimated that the 23-year-old is expected to be shut down for at least 6-8 weeks. And then he’ll have to go on a minor-league rehab assignment and build up arm strength, so it’s no guarantee that Familia will pitch in the majors again this season.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 47
- Rangers snap Astros’ 10-game winning streak 7
- UPDATE: Hanley Ramirez exits game with a left shoulder sprain 27
- Nelson Cruz, Adrian Gonzalez named Players of the Month 18
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 94
- Report: Brewers hire Craig Counsell to replace Ron Roenicke 26
- Brewers fire manager Ron Roenicke 55
- Jordan Walden lands on disabled list with biceps injury 11
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (140)
- The Orioles will play to no fans tomorrow; this weekend’s series will move to Tropicana Field (125)
- Buck Showalter had some wise words about what’s happening in Baltimore (123)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (120)
- Some anti-DH counterpoints (102)