Jun 5, 2013, 2:20 PM EDT
Familia was a highly regarded prospect heading into 2012, but mostly struggled at Triple-A last season and has shifted to the bullpen full time in the majors.
Relative to other arm surgeries removing bone spurs is pretty minor, but general manager Sandy Alderson estimated that the 23-year-old is expected to be shut down for at least 6-8 weeks. And then he’ll have to go on a minor-league rehab assignment and build up arm strength, so it’s no guarantee that Familia will pitch in the majors again this season.
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 11
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 96
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 3
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 69
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 37
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 43
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 16
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 10
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (96)