Jun 5, 2013, 2:20 PM EDT
Familia was a highly regarded prospect heading into 2012, but mostly struggled at Triple-A last season and has shifted to the bullpen full time in the majors.
Relative to other arm surgeries removing bone spurs is pretty minor, but general manager Sandy Alderson estimated that the 23-year-old is expected to be shut down for at least 6-8 weeks. And then he’ll have to go on a minor-league rehab assignment and build up arm strength, so it’s no guarantee that Familia will pitch in the majors again this season.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 16
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 48
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17