Jun 5, 2013, 2:20 PM EDT
Familia was a highly regarded prospect heading into 2012, but mostly struggled at Triple-A last season and has shifted to the bullpen full time in the majors.
Relative to other arm surgeries removing bone spurs is pretty minor, but general manager Sandy Alderson estimated that the 23-year-old is expected to be shut down for at least 6-8 weeks. And then he’ll have to go on a minor-league rehab assignment and build up arm strength, so it’s no guarantee that Familia will pitch in the majors again this season.
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 13
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 17
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 48
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 134
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (135)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)