Jun 5, 2013, 2:28 PM EDT
UPDATE: Brandon Inge delivered a pinch-hit single into left field to break up Teheran’s no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning.
Braves rookie Julio Teheran has a no-hitter through seven innings today against the Pirates.
Teheran, who ranked as a top 50 prospect coming into the season according to both Baseball America and MLB.com, has racked up 10 strikeouts while walking two. He’s at 93 pitches with six outs to go, so pitch count shouldn’t be a huge issue if he keeps being unhittable.
Teheran got off to a slow start, but has been on a major roll lately while allowing three or fewer runs in seven consecutive starts. Overall the 22-year-old right-hander had a 2.49 ERA and 32/6 K/BB ratio in 47 innings during that time, serving up just three homers.
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 9
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 27
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 59
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)