Source: Major League Baseball has not yet decided to discipline Biogenesis players

Jun 5, 2013, 3:19 PM EDT

A source familiar with the Biogenesis investigation tells HardballTalk that Major League Baseball plans to interview all of the players implicated in the Biogenesis scandal by the end of June. Then, at that point, it will make a decision on whether to pursue discipline and how. The plan is for discipline to be leveled — if it is, indeed, leveled — by the first week of July.  Pursuant to the Joint Drug Agreement players will then have the right to appeal if discipline is imposed.

This information confirms ESPN’s Outside the Lines report from last night that Major League Baseball’s  investigation of Biogenesis is proceeding. However, any speculation that Major League Baseball has already decided to discipline the players implicated in the Biogenesis scandal or that it has already decided to impose any specific penalties, be they 50- or 100-game suspensions, was premature. The league’s investigation is being assisted by clinic founder Tony Bosch, the source confirmed.

When contacted by HardballTalk, Major League Baseball officials did not comment on the story.

Alex Rodriguez of the New York Yankees, 2011 NL MVP Ryan Braun of the Milwaukee Brewers and Melky Cabrera of the Toronto Blue Jays – who received a 50-game suspension last season for the use of PEDs – are among the 20 players reportedly being targeted by MLB.

Braun issued a stern denial this morning, while Cabrera told USA Today Sports: “I don’t know anything about it. This is the first I hear of it. If they suspend me again, I think that would be a harsh punishment because I already served my sentence. But it’s up to them.”

Rodriguez, once considered a threat to break the sport’s all-time home run record, admitted to ESPN four years ago that he used performance-enhancing drugs earlier in his career, when he played for the Texas Rangers.

1. El Bravo - Jun 5, 2013 at 3:26 PM

Everyone taking a boner pill is on a PED. Just sayin’

• historiophiliac - Jun 5, 2013 at 3:27 PM

I hope you added Milton Bradley to the douchenozzle list. Is Bosch on it too?

• El Bravo - Jun 5, 2013 at 3:30 PM

I can’t remember…I’ve been so f’ing busy at work baseball has been benched…my fantasy team has suffered as a result as well :(

I’ll try to get back up to speed soon. I do believe BOsch is on it already.

• cur68 - Jun 5, 2013 at 3:28 PM

“Boner Pill”? You silver tongued devil, you.

• historiophiliac - Jun 5, 2013 at 3:34 PM

Think of the children. Can’t we stick with “vitamin V”?

• cur68 - Jun 5, 2013 at 3:42 PM

Speaking of thinking of the children, do you know we actually GIVE “vitamin V” to children? It dilates lung blood vessels and will improve ventilation/perfusion match. The uses that that the bonerly-impaired put it to are in fact, side effects.

• historiophiliac - Jun 5, 2013 at 3:50 PM

Why do you tell me these things?

• cur68 - Jun 5, 2013 at 3:51 PM

You need to know. Knowledge is power.

• historiophiliac - Jun 5, 2013 at 3:53 PM

I would like to be weak, please.

• cur68 - Jun 5, 2013 at 3:54 PM

Keep eating that bread pudding and you’ll be weak as anything.

• historiophiliac - Jun 5, 2013 at 3:58 PM

*curvy

ftfy

• indaburg - Jun 5, 2013 at 4:42 PM

Don’t be disgusted, ‘philiac, that it is given to children. The original purpose of the boner pill was not boners. It was a potent vasodilator–it was meant to be cardiac medication, an anti-hypertensive. Some brilliant researcher (Male. I don’t know that for a fact, but c’mon) discovered that it had the pleasant side effect of potential 4 hour erections. (Remember boys, if you experience a 4 hour erection, be sure to call your friends and brag. Disclaimer: Be sure to call your doctor after you are done bragging.)

• historiophiliac - Jun 5, 2013 at 4:51 PM

Ack! Stop!

lalalalala I can’t hear you. lalalala

• nbjays - Jun 5, 2013 at 7:59 PM

Cur, don’t forget those fun uses you hear in the jokes like giving it to a sunburn victim to keep the sheets off his legs… or to Grandpa in the old folks home, to keep him from rolling out of bed.

• sdelmonte - Jun 5, 2013 at 3:56 PM

Our society is all about PEDs and enhancements. Some are not that good. Others are perfectly fine. To single out PEDs in sports is hypocritical, or narrow minded, or just ignorant.

• Old Gator - Jun 5, 2013 at 4:18 PM

Careful. These are professional athletes you’re talking about.

• indaburg - Jun 5, 2013 at 4:32 PM

Baseball has been benched? Where are your priorities, good man?

• gmsingh - Jun 6, 2013 at 8:37 AM

Hint: they’re not hitting baseballs with their boners.

2. tcostant - Jun 5, 2013 at 3:32 PM

Maybe the interview of the players implicated will go something like this. Tell us the true now and get 50 games now and waive your appeal rights or take a chance on door #2, 100 games without pay and the legal bills to go wih it…

• echech88 - Jun 5, 2013 at 3:40 PM

Ryan Braun is probably happy he didn’t do that the first time seeing as he’s cashed a full year and a half of game checks since.

Why do people act like it will be the same for every player? How do we know they don’t have way more evidence on Francisco Cervelli than they do Ryan Braun or Nelson Cruz?

It has to go beyond a name on a list and for the punishments to be uniform and clean would necessitate that the evidence is also uniformly incriminating for each player.

For all we know, you’ll have 20 appeals with 20 completely different likelihoods of winning.

• Taz - Jun 5, 2013 at 3:44 PM

This is true. Remember that like Gio Gonzalez, Braun’s name wasn’t actually listed next to any PEDs. That’s why the Miami New Times never published his name and that’s why he was able to say he used Bosch as a consultant. He can absolutely incorporate that into his defense in a way that other may not, and that is a clear example of how they have more on some players than they do on Braun.

• stmiller02 - Jun 6, 2013 at 2:44 AM

I totally believe Ryan Braun. One time I was accused of using Crystal Meth so I paid a bunch of cash to Walter White to act as my consultant while being investigated.

What a complete douche.

3. tipstopten - Jun 5, 2013 at 3:57 PM

Sounds like the Unions endorsed cheating by the players. No wonder MLB is no longer America’s game.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jun 5, 2013 at 4:06 PM

Sounds to me like you don’t know what unions do.

• Old Gator - Jun 5, 2013 at 4:19 PM

Sounds to me like you guys are confusing the player’s association with a union.

• sabatimus - Jun 5, 2013 at 4:19 PM

To me the MLBPA’s “protection” of its players is woefully misguided. To quote bigharold in the “What Happens Next” article:

“Interestingly enough that is exactly what the union isn’t doing. They are clearly not protecting the “clean” players from those that are using. They are not even protecting the users from themselves. PED abuse poses serious health, legal and career concerns.

The union’s misguided attempt to “protect” their own will not only not do so in the long run, in the short run it actually puts pressure on players less inclined to cheat.”

• sabatimus - Jun 5, 2013 at 4:29 PM

If the MLBPA isn’t a union, then why does its official site list “union dues”?

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jun 5, 2013 at 4:57 PM

Sounds to me like you guys are confusing the player’s association with a union.

It’s everything a union does, did and will continue to do.

• zacksdad - Jun 5, 2013 at 5:26 PM

Sounds like he knows more about Unions than you do. The school teachers union in Los Angeles, CA protects the child molester teachers and does not allow them to be fired. They just report with all the other child molesters and play on the internet all day with full pay.

So the Unions protect their members at all costs.

4. amhendrick - Jun 5, 2013 at 4:06 PM

“The plan is for discipline to be leveled . . . by the first week of July”

Great timing, because nothing’s better for the sport than to announce the week before the All-Start game that your favorite players are cheats.

• Old Gator - Jun 5, 2013 at 4:20 PM

This is a lose-lose proposition for MLB. You can count on them doing whatever they think needs to be done the way the Coyote sets up for the Roadrunner.

5. aceshigh11 - Jun 5, 2013 at 4:07 PM

What a pumpkin-haired freak.

Terrible dye-job…yeah, that’s your real hair color at 90 years old, Bud.

• gmsingh - Jun 6, 2013 at 8:39 AM

He and Trump have the same stylist.

6. barkleyblows - Jun 5, 2013 at 4:22 PM

Of course Ryan Cheateroid would deny it. How anybody can cheer for this D Bag is beyond me.

• zacksdad - Jun 5, 2013 at 5:31 PM

I never heard him deny it yesterday, he just stated something about “The Truth” and nothing else can be said. Yet I am sure if someone wanted to ask about a baseball issue in the past he would be willing to talk about it. He even sat out the game today with “Needle Thumb”, the injury you get from injecting yourself too much. Or maybe he got it from having his thumb up his a$$ when being questioned.

• gmsingh - Jun 6, 2013 at 8:40 AM

Miguel Cabrera could knock a baseball and Ryan Braun out of the park at the same time.

7. indaburg - Jun 5, 2013 at 4:47 PM

MLB has not yet decided to discipline the players? You mean, that somewhere in the bowels of MLB (probably around the cecum), there is a… (gasp)… voice of reason? Perhaps pleading for reason and restraint? Get outta town. You almost had me there.

• historiophiliac - Jun 5, 2013 at 4:53 PM

Whew. You need a dose of Tigers awesomeness…and bread pudding.

• indaburg - Jun 5, 2013 at 4:58 PM

If tonight isn’t better, I’m graduating to whisky. You keep the bread pudding. More for you.

• jwbiii - Jun 5, 2013 at 6:17 PM

A shot of whiskey in the whipped cream for the bread pudding: Also good.

• historiophiliac - Jun 5, 2013 at 6:19 PM

I put a whiskey sauce on it. Mmmmm.

• indaburg - Jun 5, 2013 at 7:48 PM

Skip the bread pudding. Whisky and ice.

• historiophiliac - Jun 5, 2013 at 7:52 PM

Grody.

Neck and neck tonight, woman.

• indaburg - Jun 5, 2013 at 7:53 PM

This is more like it. I love me that ginger pitcher, Cobb. Cheers!

• historiophiliac - Jun 5, 2013 at 7:55 PM

Dug that Avila double play. Hope Torii and Miggy go boom! What do I have in the house to drink? lol

• indaburg - Jun 5, 2013 at 7:57 PM

That massive TOOOOOOOOOTBLAN on third by the Rays. Yeah. That’s when I started drinking.

• historiophiliac - Jun 5, 2013 at 8:14 PM

BTW, since I am sure you are not listening to the Tigers announcers, Rod Allen thinks Madden always has a fresh look. lol He likes the glasses.

• indaburg - Jun 5, 2013 at 8:19 PM

Maddon is stylin’. I’m hoping Maddon will adopt me as his daughter, but dang restraining order.

I’m listening to the Rays broadcast. They need smelling salts over Miggy. They’re swooning like Southern belles.

8. 13arod - Jun 5, 2013 at 8:39 PM

they can’t do that yet they have to go to court first

9. leftywildcat - Jun 5, 2013 at 10:11 PM

In that photo, it looks as if Bud is trying to explain that his own drug usage made his hair grow in thick and blonde!

1. M. Morse (2226)