Jun 5, 2013, 4:40 PM EDT
Stephen Strasburg tested his strained lat muscle by throwing a bullpen session this afternoon and it went poorly enough that the Nationals have placed him on the disabled list.
Because the move is backdated to Strasburg’s last start Friday he’ll be eligible to come off the disabled list on June 16. In the meantime Mark Zuckerman of CSNWashington.com reports that the Nationals aren’t sure who’ll fill in for Strasburg this weekend, in part because Ross Detwiler won’t be ready to return from an oblique injury of his own yet.
Before leaving Friday’s start after just two innings Strasburg had thrown 72 innings with a 2.49 ERA and 71/21 K/BB ratio this season, including a 0.96 ERA in his last four outings.
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 14
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 30
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 15
- Masahiro Tanaka expected to rejoin Yankees next week 4
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 86
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 61
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29