Recapping the past 24 hours of Biogenesis insanity

Jun 5, 2013, 5:02 PM EDT

Testosterone

In case you had the good sense to enjoy a sunny late spring day and watch some baseball rather than keep tabs on all of the minutiae surrounding baseball’s latest PED scandal, here is everything you need to know about the Biogenesis business:

That’s the state of the scandal at this hour.  As always, check out HardballTalk for the latest in everything that matters with this case and, oh yeah, baseball in general. Which still exists, and that is a very, very good thing.

1. brewcitybummer - Jun 5, 2013 at 5:17 PM

The Brewers are only 7 back of the Marlins in the 2014 Carlos Rodon sweepstakes! I think we have the motto of the 2013 Brewers. SUSPEND BRAUN FOR RODON! SUSPEND BRAUN FOR RODON!

2. chacochicken - Jun 5, 2013 at 5:21 PM

Let me recap my emotions and reactions.
    After reading the tweets by Quinn, I rashly jumped out of a window. However, in my rashness I neglected to consider it was a ground floor window. I then proceeded to read the OTL article by turning my laptop toward the open window while still standing outside. I quickly realized that all of this is premature and likely the MLB source is going to be in trouble for (again) letting the snake out of the cage. I was able to calmly water the tomato and pepper plants while considering Bosch probably fooled many people including major leaguers into believing they should pay lots of money for substances have very little actual performance enhancing benefit. The emperor has no clothes but, on the other hand, he can use force lightning. Where was I? I drink twice as much during Blue Jays day games regardless of whether I’m actually at the ballpark.

• cur68 - Jun 5, 2013 at 6:29 PM

Well I hope you had a few for today’s Beaver Game, then. T’was a gooder. How about that RA Dickey, eh?

• chacochicken - Jun 5, 2013 at 6:44 PM

When he’s got it dancing, its canucknuckleballer supreme.

• proudlycanadian - Jun 5, 2013 at 9:02 PM

The Jays had had 2 good starts in a row against the Giants. As far as The ESPN story is concerned, I have to point out that both the mythical Man In White and I agree that ESPN’s investigative reporters have made mistakes before. I doubt that the story as reported by ESPN is completely reliable. Parts are probably accurate; however, Some of their conclusions may be the product of adding 1 and 2 and getting the wrong answer.

• dirtyharry1971 - Jun 5, 2013 at 9:04 PM

Yea how about RA? 5-7 with a 4.66 ERA, He has beaten SF twice, the bad news for him is he wont be seeing them again this year so expect his numbers to get uglier

• dirtyharry1971 - Jun 5, 2013 at 9:06 PM

PC bragging about two good starts against a NL team, got some bad news for ya, Texas is coming for that stuff soon. As a matter of fact you got texas A LOT in the next 10 games. Jays will be lucky to win 2 of those 7.

3. senorsharkfin - Jun 5, 2013 at 5:22 PM

Braun makes a valid point. “The truth hasn’t changed”, guess we can call him a liar on that one!

• grumpyoleman - Jun 5, 2013 at 9:10 PM

Still true he got caught using steroids. Getting off on a technicality doesn’t change that.

4. rayburns - Jun 5, 2013 at 5:23 PM

If MLB is proceeding on this based solely on Bosch’s testimony, then they deserve the ridicule and derision that HBT is throwing at them.

One would assume, and yes I know what happens when you assume, that one of the conditions of Bosch’s deal with MLB is that the information that he provides is verifiable.

If Bosch is able to provide the equivalent of a ‘smoking gun’ to MLB, then that makes this a very big deal indeed.

5. senorsharkfin - Jun 5, 2013 at 5:24 PM

*can’t

6. danindelray - Jun 5, 2013 at 6:01 PM

Glad to see a new post so I can make the point I wanted to before, but didn’t since it would have been buried in a 60 or 90 reply thread.

Calcaterra, you’re pathetic. You’d also make a brilliant defense attorney for the mob. See, scumbag mobsters associate with scumbags. That doesn’t make the testimony of said scumbags unreliable or untrue.

Since PEDs are illegal, players who want to use them are going to associate with scumbag criminals. This also does not make said scumbag dealers unreliable or untruthful.

The reality which you fail to accept is that this is the equivalent of Victor Conte telling the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. The owner and chief drug dealer telling the truth about what he sold, and what he told his buyers.

Every one of them deserve the maximum penalty allowed by the CBA.

• raysfan1 - Jun 5, 2013 at 8:08 PM

Craig’s point was not that MLB cannot use Bosch, so your insulting him and acting as though he is unaware of what you point out is invalid. He made a point that MLB needs more than just Bosch to make any punishment, if any is even coming, stick. He has not just his background as a lawyer but also that of an arbitrator…and any punishment meted out will definitely go to arbitration prior to enforcement. Second, he also made a point that going after the grand show of nailing a few players while actually aiding the dealer will not help solve the problem of PED use in baseball. That second point is a matter of opinion, but the grand show is the same thing MLB went for with the Mitchell Report, and we already know that accomplished nothing useful.

• gloccamorra - Jun 5, 2013 at 8:15 PM

One other point: associating with scumbags is not illegal, nor is it proof of guilt. I ought to know, I used to work for the government and my top boss was an elected official named Schwarzenegger. If he took steroids, it had nothing to do with me.

7. bh192012 - Jun 5, 2013 at 6:07 PM

Anthony Bosch may not have very credible testimony, but if he prints out his bank statements and they show financial transactions with these players, it’s at least another nail. He may have several such nails.

8. Walk - Jun 5, 2013 at 6:45 PM

Gio Gonzales is likely in the financial records of mr bosch. Gio has been pointed to as only buying legal supplements. If that level of proof is used then there is no way gio can avoid a suspension.

9. jxegh - Jun 5, 2013 at 7:00 PM

This Bosch guy is no different than any other shady drug dealer or criminal. And just like any other low life, prosecutors can offer him a deal for more information. So, if the find that 20 other players were using steroids, why can’t they all be suspended at the same time?

10. jrbdmb - Jun 5, 2013 at 8:44 PM

I am not familiar with the current MLBPA contract with the MLB. But I have never heard of a player getting suspended by any way other than a failed drug test.

Can MLB really suspend these players based on testimony from Bosch? Or is this just a giant smear campaign / PR exercise since MLB knows any suspensions can’t possibly stick?

• jrbdmb - Jun 5, 2013 at 9:07 PM

Edit the above – from a HBT post last year, I see a line about mods to the Joint Drug Agreement:

* Clarifying the rules for violations for use or possession of prohibited substances based on evidence other than positive test results (“non-analytical positives.”)

So MLB can theoretically get these suspensions based on Bosch’s testimony. Whether they survive attack by the players and the union is another matter.

11. jargon1682 - Jun 5, 2013 at 10:32 PM

That’s the state of the scandal at this hour. As always, check out HardballTalk for the latest in everything, as long as it is 100% against Major League Baseball listening to a single word Anthony Bosch says.

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet