Jun 5, 2013, 5:02 PM EDT
In case you had the good sense to enjoy a sunny late spring day and watch some baseball rather than keep tabs on all of the minutiae surrounding baseball’s latest PED scandal, here is everything you need to know about the Biogenesis business:
- ESPN reported last night that Major League Baseball is getting in bed with Anthony Bosch and looking to suspend multiple players associated with Biogenesis. What players? These players;
- We at HardballTalk reported this afternoon that while, yes, baseball is moving forward with Bosch, suspensions are not yet decided upon. But a timeline is in place. Player interviews in June, potential suspensions in early July and then litigation chaos, presumably, immediately thereafter. Here’s what happens next.
- Whenever baseball does take action, if they seek to suspend multiple players at once, they are (a) making a big mistake; and (b) furthering their desire to deal with public relations disasters before actually dealing with baseball’s drug problem;
- The man who Major League Baseball has as its star witness — Anthony Bosch — is severely compromised. But that probably won’t stop people from trying to rehabilitate his character;
- And, based on the words of an expert in this area, they really do need to rehabilitate that character if there’s a chance in h-e double hockeysticks that any player suspensions stick.
- Ryan Braun denies any wrongdoing, saying “the truth has not changed.” He was out of the lineup today.
- Alex Rodriguez is the other MVP name mentioned. Has all of this tarnished his legacy?
- Speaking of legacy, what does all of this mean for Bud Selig’s legacy? Because suspending 20 guys at once is something I wouldn’t have expected from him.
That’s the state of the scandal at this hour. As always, check out HardballTalk for the latest in everything that matters with this case and, oh yeah, baseball in general. Which still exists, and that is a very, very good thing.
- Devin Mesoraco could need hip surgery 2
- Alex Cobb confirmed to have elbow ligament tear 11
- Royals expected to get closer Greg Holland back tomorrow 2
- Madison Bumgarner threw his fastest pitch since 2010 9
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- Rangers snap Astros’ 10-game winning streak 7
- UPDATE: Hanley Ramirez exits game with a left shoulder sprain 27
- Nelson Cruz, Adrian Gonzalez named Players of the Month 18
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (140)
- Buck Showalter had some wise words about what’s happening in Baltimore (123)
- Some anti-DH counterpoints (102)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (98)
- Alex Rodriguez hits a pinch-hit home run to tie Willie Mays at 660 home runs (96)