Jun 5, 2013, 5:02 PM EDT
In case you had the good sense to enjoy a sunny late spring day and watch some baseball rather than keep tabs on all of the minutiae surrounding baseball’s latest PED scandal, here is everything you need to know about the Biogenesis business:
- ESPN reported last night that Major League Baseball is getting in bed with Anthony Bosch and looking to suspend multiple players associated with Biogenesis. What players? These players;
- We at HardballTalk reported this afternoon that while, yes, baseball is moving forward with Bosch, suspensions are not yet decided upon. But a timeline is in place. Player interviews in June, potential suspensions in early July and then litigation chaos, presumably, immediately thereafter. Here’s what happens next.
- Whenever baseball does take action, if they seek to suspend multiple players at once, they are (a) making a big mistake; and (b) furthering their desire to deal with public relations disasters before actually dealing with baseball’s drug problem;
- The man who Major League Baseball has as its star witness — Anthony Bosch — is severely compromised. But that probably won’t stop people from trying to rehabilitate his character;
- And, based on the words of an expert in this area, they really do need to rehabilitate that character if there’s a chance in h-e double hockeysticks that any player suspensions stick.
- Ryan Braun denies any wrongdoing, saying “the truth has not changed.” He was out of the lineup today.
- Alex Rodriguez is the other MVP name mentioned. Has all of this tarnished his legacy?
- Speaking of legacy, what does all of this mean for Bud Selig’s legacy? Because suspending 20 guys at once is something I wouldn’t have expected from him.
That’s the state of the scandal at this hour. As always, check out HardballTalk for the latest in everything that matters with this case and, oh yeah, baseball in general. Which still exists, and that is a very, very good thing.
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 3
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 209
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 47
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 91
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (210)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (121)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)