Jun 5, 2013, 5:02 PM EST
In case you had the good sense to enjoy a sunny late spring day and watch some baseball rather than keep tabs on all of the minutiae surrounding baseball’s latest PED scandal, here is everything you need to know about the Biogenesis business:
- ESPN reported last night that Major League Baseball is getting in bed with Anthony Bosch and looking to suspend multiple players associated with Biogenesis. What players? These players;
- We at HardballTalk reported this afternoon that while, yes, baseball is moving forward with Bosch, suspensions are not yet decided upon. But a timeline is in place. Player interviews in June, potential suspensions in early July and then litigation chaos, presumably, immediately thereafter. Here’s what happens next.
- Whenever baseball does take action, if they seek to suspend multiple players at once, they are (a) making a big mistake; and (b) furthering their desire to deal with public relations disasters before actually dealing with baseball’s drug problem;
- The man who Major League Baseball has as its star witness — Anthony Bosch — is severely compromised. But that probably won’t stop people from trying to rehabilitate his character;
- And, based on the words of an expert in this area, they really do need to rehabilitate that character if there’s a chance in h-e double hockeysticks that any player suspensions stick.
- Ryan Braun denies any wrongdoing, saying “the truth has not changed.” He was out of the lineup today.
- Alex Rodriguez is the other MVP name mentioned. Has all of this tarnished his legacy?
- Speaking of legacy, what does all of this mean for Bud Selig’s legacy? Because suspending 20 guys at once is something I wouldn’t have expected from him.
That’s the state of the scandal at this hour. As always, check out HardballTalk for the latest in everything that matters with this case and, oh yeah, baseball in general. Which still exists, and that is a very, very good thing.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 20
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (373)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (91)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)