Ryan Braun: “The truth has not changed”

Jun 5, 2013, 10:47 AM EDT

Immediately after last night’s Brewers extra-inning victory Ryan Braun was asked to address the ESPN report suggesting he could be facing a suspension for involvement with the Biogenesis clinic.

Here’s what Braun told the media assembled around his locker, via Adam McCalvy of MLB.com:

A lot of people here. I assume I know why everybody is here. I’ve already addressed everything related to the Miami situation. I addressed it in spring training. I will not make any further statements about it. The truth has not changed. I don’t know the specifics of the story that came out today, but I’ve already addressed it, I’ve already commented on it, and I’ll say nothing further about it.

At that point Braun said he hadn’t actually read the ESPN story because it was published just moments before he took the field, but a member of the Brewers’ public relations staff filled him in after the game. McCalvy has a few more quotes from Braun, who said stuff like “I think I’m pretty good at avoiding distractions” and “we all deal with challenges in life.”

Feel free to compare and contrast yesterday’s quotes to what Braun said during his lengthy press conference last February, when his positive urine test was deemed tainted.

113 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. DelawarePhilliesFan - Jun 5, 2013 at 10:52 AM

To quote Jack Nicholson’s character in Something’s Gotta Give:

“I have always told you some version of the truth”

2. redsoxted9 - Jun 5, 2013 at 10:53 AM

He’s right, the TRUTH hasn’t changed.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Jun 5, 2013 at 11:00 AM

That was the orginal angel I was going to take – well played ;)

• moogro - Jun 5, 2013 at 11:08 AM

We should all listen to our better angels.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Jun 5, 2013 at 11:16 AM

My spell checker took the day off :)

Come to think of it, I haven’t seen my spell checker since the invention of the internet

3. motherscratcher23 - Jun 5, 2013 at 10:58 AM

Consequences will never be the same!

4. breastfedted - Jun 5, 2013 at 11:02 AM

Ryan Fraud, the biggest lying douche in baseball

• historiophiliac - Jun 5, 2013 at 12:03 PM

Oh, come on. The biggest?

• jeffa43 - Jun 5, 2013 at 12:10 PM

Good point…. He is not the biggest …. He is #2… In a couple different ways.

• brucewaynewins - Jun 5, 2013 at 12:36 PM

Jeffrey Loria and several others would like to chime in

• rcali - Jun 5, 2013 at 2:19 PM

I think A-Fraud is the bigger douche but both are liars. I do wish I had both their bank accounts though.

5. abqpacker - Jun 5, 2013 at 11:07 AM

Ryan Braun MAY well be guilty, but why should we take the word of a confessed criminal (who is now changing to story) and automatically proclaim Braun’s guilt?

• nategearhart - Jun 5, 2013 at 11:14 AM

Because people are desperate for ways to fight boredom, and “Ryan Braun cheated” is a much more interesting story than “A drug dealer lied”.

• countduku - Jun 5, 2013 at 11:17 AM

because maybe he can prove beyond a resonable doubt Braun was a client.

• paperlions - Jun 5, 2013 at 11:30 AM

Right, which is not the same as taking someone’s word for it.

If there is no evidence and it is just a case of he said – he said (which I rather doubt will be the case, just a hypothetical), the vast majority of non-Brewers fans will assume Braun cheated and got away with it.

If Bosch actually comes out and says he never provided Braun with PEDs (which I doubt is true, just a hypothetical), the vast majority of people will say he is lying and assume that Braun paid him off.

To be clear, I think we’ll probably find out that Braun did it….but that seems to be the only result people will accept. Even then, you’ll have DBs that think Braun should publicly outline everything he did, which is information we have no right to.

• steve7921 - Jun 5, 2013 at 11:21 AM

because he might have FedEx receipts proving delivery to Ryan….

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Jun 5, 2013 at 2:13 PM

Lets face it – Ryan can beat any rap that invloves FedEx ;)

6. jimmyt - Jun 5, 2013 at 11:13 AM

If you don’t want distractions and challenges in life, stop cheating and come clean instead of hiding behind a technicality. You can still tell the truth if you want to.

• jwbiii - Jun 5, 2013 at 1:44 PM

And we know this because it has worked so well for Alex Rodriguez.

7. randygnyc - Jun 5, 2013 at 11:13 AM

This smug player can’t get his just desserts fast enough for my liking.

• nategearhart - Jun 5, 2013 at 11:17 AM

If only he cheated humbly, like Andy Pettitte.

• dondada10 - Jun 5, 2013 at 11:39 AM

McGwire, Sosa, Bonds, and Pettitte. The Core Four of cheating.

• paperlions - Jun 5, 2013 at 11:49 AM

Clemens has to be in there over Pettitte, doesn’t he? Assuming we are just restricting this to cheaters that were also very good…because there are probably 100s or 1000s of guys that juiced as much as or more than those guys…they just sucked, so no one cared.

• pesky99 - Jun 5, 2013 at 1:44 PM

dondada10, Don’t forget Roger Clemens, so we’ll do the Core 5!!!

• historiophiliac - Jun 5, 2013 at 11:54 AM

Pie?

• paperlions - Jun 5, 2013 at 12:08 PM

No way! Pie is for non-smug, clean players.

Smug cheaters get bread pudding; non-smug cheaters get cake.

• historiophiliac - Jun 5, 2013 at 12:10 PM

What?! You’re a pie-man????

• paperlions - Jun 5, 2013 at 12:12 PM

I actually love pie…and cake….and ice cream…and donuts…and well, really all forms of dessert. I was just being inflammatory (apparently the steroids are preventing the intended inflammation).

• historiophiliac - Jun 5, 2013 at 12:13 PM

Oh, ok. Dessert whore makes muuuuch more sense.

• bleedgreen - Jun 5, 2013 at 12:23 PM

Paper, Pie is not just for non-smug, clean players, its only for non-smug, clean GRITTY players.

• ltzep75 - Jun 5, 2013 at 12:32 PM

Who gets cheesecake? Is it actually a cake?

• historiophiliac - Jun 5, 2013 at 12:33 PM

We *all* get cheesecake. It’s universal. We agreed it’s a neutral category of its own.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jun 5, 2013 at 12:39 PM

Whoa whoa whoa, pump your breaks there. Cheesecake is the trump card in the cake > pie massacre. You can’t just give away the trump card!

• historiophiliac - Jun 5, 2013 at 12:42 PM

It’s off the table!

• cur68 - Jun 5, 2013 at 12:47 PM

WTF is the MATTER with you people?

1) CheeseCAKE is CAKE. Says so right in the name there

2) Pie is for FOOTBALL players, not baseball players

3) Cake is for the talented & gritty, alike.

4) BreadPudding (bleh) is for the huddled masses who can’t get cake OR pie

Only a fascist would think otherwise.

• historiophiliac - Jun 5, 2013 at 12:50 PM

Ha! Mine’s super-American! I win!

• randygnyc - Jun 5, 2013 at 12:55 PM

Pastry for me.

• ltzep75 - Jun 5, 2013 at 1:01 PM

Cheesecake = Custard Pie.

Cheesecake has a crust. Cakes, generally do not.

Cakes rise when you bake them (and require baking), cheesecakes do not rise, and technically, do not require baking.

Cheesecake = Pie.

• historiophiliac - Jun 5, 2013 at 1:02 PM

Pie is off the table! >:(

• historiophiliac - Jun 5, 2013 at 1:02 PM

*Cheesecake

Dammit! Edit function!

• paperlions - Jun 5, 2013 at 1:02 PM

Seriously, Cur?

Cheesecake is the Giancarlo Stanton of the Cake lineup, which is roundly trounced by pie in nearly every competition. Really, the only way to prefer cake is to not have had good pie.

• ltzep75 - Jun 5, 2013 at 1:08 PM

Cakes are made with flour. No flour necessary for cheesecake.

Let’s face it – cheesecake is made by filling a crust with the custard. It’s a pie.

• historiophiliac - Jun 5, 2013 at 1:10 PM

Custard is actually an adult dessert, so it belongs at the adult dessert table with bread pudding. Dessert proletariat!

• cur68 - Jun 5, 2013 at 1:10 PM

Y’all are mental. Pie (/spits) is weak food for the weak minded. Its mushy fruit under a crust. No such crust covered-mushy-fruit is found anywhere near decent cheesecake. Cheesecake has a cake texture: no runny fruit in sight.

Also, you can’t bake pie (/spits) into female shapes. Whereas, with cake you can do this easily:

Fascists.

• historiophiliac - Jun 5, 2013 at 1:11 PM

Did you just moon me, royalist???

• cur68 - Jun 5, 2013 at 1:14 PM

Ha ha! Made you look!

• historiophiliac - Jun 5, 2013 at 1:19 PM

I hate you.

• cur68 - Jun 5, 2013 at 1:29 PM

Don’t be hatin’.
        Go have some cake. You’ll feel better.

• historiophiliac - Jun 5, 2013 at 1:30 PM

Canadians are horrible.

• cur68 - Jun 5, 2013 at 1:32 PM

We are not. We do all our baking with pure Seal Blubber Shortening™. Its is delicious and good for you.

• ltzep75 - Jun 5, 2013 at 1:22 PM

Cur:

Cakes have frosting, Cheesecake does not.

Cheesecake has a crust. Not all pies require a top crust.

Cheesecake does not require baking. Cakes require baking.

Cheesecake is a pie.

• ltzep75 - Jun 5, 2013 at 1:24 PM

Considering everyone loves cheesecake, and the fact that it is a pie, you’re all lovers of pie.

Come, join me, and together we will rule the desert universe.

• historiophiliac - Jun 5, 2013 at 1:27 PM

In Uhmericah, we bake our cheesecakes, son. It’s an adult dessert. Children won’t eat it (except that nutbag Burgie is raising). It belongs at the adult dessert table with the superior bread pudding.

• ltzep75 - Jun 5, 2013 at 1:31 PM

While I agree that a good cheesecake is baked, it does not, technically require baking.

Moreover, it does not rise when you bake it. Cakes rise.

• cur68 - Jun 5, 2013 at 1:40 PM

This Black & White view of cheesecake is what’s ruining your country. CheeseCAKE is a cake. It calls itself that, therefore it must BE that. Are you people calling cheesCAKE a liar?

We Cake Lovers will NEVER join with you pie eaters (/spits). We KNOW we are superior and will CRUSH our enemies under our sandalled feet. We will crush our enemies, see them driven before us, and hear the lamentation of their women. When we’re finished doing that, we’ll burn the White House (again) and annex Florida (then kick out all the Québécois till they learn to speak English).

• paperlions - Jun 5, 2013 at 1:42 PM

This is one of the most fruitful, insightful, informative, and entertaining conversations in the history of HBT.

• historiophiliac - Jun 5, 2013 at 1:45 PM

“fruitful” — I see you trying to weasel your pie back in there.

• paperlions - Jun 5, 2013 at 1:48 PM

Sadly, I hit “reply” too early. I was going to add “nutty” to the list of descriptors and forgot.

• historiophiliac - Jun 5, 2013 at 1:49 PM

Premature posting? I’ll leave it alone.

• paperlions - Jun 5, 2013 at 1:52 PM

Yeah, I gotta get on that therapy…may cure a lot of ills all in one shot.

• historiophiliac - Jun 5, 2013 at 1:54 PM

Don’t make me put you in time out, Woodpecker.

• ltzep75 - Jun 5, 2013 at 1:50 PM

Simply because we, the Pie Federation, have designed the ultimate agent to infiltrate your corps, does not render its title to define what it is. You’ve been had. You know you love cheesecake. You love it. You love pie.

It’s ok. You can admit it. Denial is the first stage of grief. (“It says so in the name”). Then comes Anger (“/spits”). Next is Bargaining (“You can’t bake pie into female shapes”).

All that’s left now is Depression and Acceptance.

• paperlions - Jun 5, 2013 at 2:00 PM

Indians are from India, it’s in the name

The West Indies must be near India or in the Indian ocean, it’s in the name

Hot dogs are made out of dog, it’s in the name.

A soft ball is soft, it’s in the name.

Latin Americans speak Latin, it’s in the name.

Football is played with the foot, it’s in the name.

• cur68 - Jun 5, 2013 at 2:15 PM

And yet “India” is STILL India. A soft boiled egg is STILL soft. “Football” is the most widely accepted name for what you people call “soccer” so yes, it IS played with the foot even if an entire NATION calls a game played largely with the hands THE SAME THING. The truth of a matter is not obliviated because some misguided people misname something. Sometimes the name IS accurate. For each and every naming inaccuracy I can counter-name you an accurate one. What you then have to do is LOOK at that which you speak of and examine it critically for truth in naming.

Cheesecake is good to eat, associated with kindly, intelligent, comely people who can see no curst under which lurks mushy fruit. Cheesecake does not ooze all over the place and make a mess. It remains pulled together on a desert plate and can be eaten in a civilized manner. Like all cakes can be eaten.

Therefore, I take cheeseCAKE at its word that it IS INDEED cake. Cheesecake may cling to the pan, but it does not lie.

• historiophiliac - Jun 5, 2013 at 2:27 PM

IT’S OFF THE TABLE!

8. countduku - Jun 5, 2013 at 11:15 AM

first off Braun’s sample was not deemed tainted. He was let go because the chain of events collecting the sample was not followed exactly as it is outlined in the CBA. Secondly, I wouldn’t be suprised if MLB only made the deal with Boesch if he would be willing to prove Braun guilty beyond resonable doubt, as it was him who ruined the life of the sample taker, and blamed MLB for fraud in the testing. I think he is the main target in all this right now. We all already knew Arod and Melky were users.

• nategearhart - Jun 5, 2013 at 11:18 AM

“ruined the life of the sample taker”? How so?

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Jun 5, 2013 at 1:09 PM

Are you kidding me? You can quibble about the meaning of “ruined his life”, but do you recall the stuff Braun said about the guy? Here is a primer:

The system in the way it was applied to me in this case was fatally flawed

typically the only two people in the world who know whose sample it is are us, the donor, and the collector, who receives our urine samples. In my case there was an additional third person, the son of the collector, who just so happened to be the my chaperone on the day that I was tested

There were a lot of things that we learned about the collector, about the collection process, about the way that the entire thing worked that made us very concerned and very suspicious about what could have actually happened

We spoke to biochemists and scientists and we asked them, ‘How difficult would it be to tamper with somebody’s sample?’ And their response was that, ‘If they were motivated, it would be extremely easy.’

• nategearhart - Jun 5, 2013 at 1:34 PM

Sure, I’ll quibble about the meaning of “ruined his life”: it’s about the most ridiculous case of hyperbole I’ve seen in a long time. Braun called the guy out for mishandling the sample, i.e. not doing his job correctly. The appeals process apparently valedated this. None of the quotes you list are out of line. Do we even know if the sample taker lost his job?

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Jun 5, 2013 at 2:18 PM

It is my understanding he did not lose his job. Do you believe he should have?

And when the day comes you come to work one day, and 6 months later your name is reported in the NY Times and news conferences are given in which it is strongly implied you are corrupt, please let us know how it impacted your life.

• stercuilus65 - Jun 5, 2013 at 8:05 PM

nategearhart – Can you breathe with your head so far up your hero Braun’s ass?
        You keep posting the most absurd apologist bs that I have ever seen.

9. chill1184 - Jun 5, 2013 at 11:19 AM

Caption Contest

“I am NOT a crook!”

• historiophiliac - Jun 5, 2013 at 11:56 AM

“Billie Jean is NOT my lover.”

• bleedgreen - Jun 5, 2013 at 12:24 PM

“I did NOT have sexual relations… with that woman.”

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Jun 5, 2013 at 12:38 PM

“Look, had I known she was 16….”

• cur68 - Jun 5, 2013 at 12:49 PM

” “Dog Fister” was a typo!”

• historiophiliac - Jun 5, 2013 at 12:53 PM

I concede to that submission, Sir.

/curtsies

10. onbucky96 - Jun 5, 2013 at 11:24 AM

Nothing has changed. Innocent until proven guilty. Who did the investigation, MLB or ESPN/OTL?

11. spideysdog - Jun 5, 2013 at 11:25 AM

abqpacker,

I will tell you why I believe the “drug dealer changing his story”….. the drug dealer facing a state investigation, a MLB lawsuit and possible federal charges for interstate trafficking, has every reason on earth to be honest right now. Ryan Braun has every single reason NOT to be. it’s the old sniff test.

on a side note, it’s not like it’s Derek Jeters name on there. AFraud, Braun and Cabrera have all either been suspended for use, tested positive for use, or admitted use. it’s not like this is some giant stretch…..

like gramps used to say, where there’s smoke….

12. storebrandcookies - Jun 5, 2013 at 11:30 AM

He ain’t gonna weasel his way out of this one.

13. sdemp - Jun 5, 2013 at 11:32 AM

So just because someone says he “purchased” steriods/PEDs/amphetamines this means he used them!?

I purchased a gun for safety, doesn’t mean I killed someone.

I purchase kilos weekly to sell for profit, but I’ve never tried coke.

Point is this. . . MLB f*cked up the first time and leaked Braun’s failed test before the process MLB and the players union have agreed upon and now since they look bad they are doing whatever they can to get “revenge”. MLB will be opening a big can of worms if they start suspending players based off of circumstantial evidence.

Player strike!!!

• countduku - Jun 5, 2013 at 11:51 AM

They don’t make the deal with Boesch unless he can prove without doubt who the clients are, and they will get who they are after……… it’s basic law 101.

• historiophiliac - Jun 5, 2013 at 11:58 AM

If the players actually strike over this, I think it would be a huge mistake. I think public sentiment would be greatly against them and a lot of people would see it as protecting scumbags. That would really hurt the union.

• skids003 - Jun 5, 2013 at 12:25 PM

I agree. It would look like a selfish union protecting itself, instead of doing what’s right. But I don’t think they should be suspended on the word of an obvious crook, his credibility just isn’t there.

14. chacochicken - Jun 5, 2013 at 11:35 AM

No one is getting suspended for this one. Probably the MLB source that leaked this will be fired. This, for better or worse, is Selig’s swan song.

15. randygnyc - Jun 5, 2013 at 11:46 AM

Dondada- you know me, I’ll all for punishing cheaters. But if your going to include Sosa on a list without evidence, you’re going to have to include Piazza, too.

16. padraighansen - Jun 5, 2013 at 12:17 PM

Braun, A-Rod, Nellie Cruz, and the others all may be guilty. Maybe some of that group are guilty, maybe some aren’t. None of us knows for sure. Rob Manfred is a very, very good lawyer (MLB SVP of League Affairs) & litigator, but is also a very, very high ego individual. So are a lot of the players involved here. That, in part, is what makes this matter so complex.

None of us commenting know the complete truth. Everyone involved has some skin in this game. MLB is indemnifying Bosch against any for any liability arising from his cooperation. That’s not unusual, but it is highly challengeable, and MLB is essentially giving Bosch the ability to say whatever it is they want him to without any personal accountability.

ESPN needs Braun, specifically, to be guilty. Ever since Braun’s legal team went for the low-hanging fruit in their drive to overturn his suspension (the clearly botched protocol around collections), ESPN was made to look relatively bad. First, they ran the initial leaked report, but doubled down when the opinion side of their business drowned out the factual reporting side of their organization. Braun was 100% guilty, period, in they eyes of virtually every ESPN commentator.

And for the record, he may be. He absolutely may be. But none of us know for sure. If one reported failed drug test with the highest levels of testosterone ever recorded (to the point of being deadly) supersede the 30+ clean results, both before and after the disputed test, can hang Braun, or any other player, then the onus is on MLB to be both perfect in their execution of the testing process, as well as the confidentiality of the appeals process.

Additionally, Braun’s case is not helped, perception-wise, by the Lance Armstrong / Mark McGwire / A-Rod situations previously. All denied using PED’s, all later admitted to lying.

Finally, MLB really needs Braun to be guilty, but guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. There can be no crack in the armor that is the MLB shield. The only person that knew all the facts in the initial test appeal ruled in favor of Braun, and as a result, MLB fired that person. For many, myself included, that made MLB look really bad.

So, before all the hate mail ensues, understand that I realize Braun may be 100% guilty. But we’ve seen a lot of rush to judgment based on an incomplete set of the facts, personal agendas, and mass media opinion presented as fact (think Duke Lacrosse, as an example). All the players should be afforded the presumption of innocence at this stage. And if they are proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt, they should be subjected to the punishment set forth in the joint testing program.

• skids003 - Jun 5, 2013 at 12:24 PM

Well said. And if people don’t think ESPN has an agenda, they need to step back and take a long look.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jun 5, 2013 at 12:46 PM

Dude, I’m sorry but that was way too logical. We’re going to have to ask you to leave.

Just kidding, well said.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Jun 5, 2013 at 12:53 PM

I am not trying to dispute your overall thesis – but I am tad confused about your thoughts on the 2011 failed test. To be clear, the suspension was over turned because the collector did not believe the protocal required him to find a Friday evening drop off location for FedEx – he thoguht he could wait until Monday. There was no issue at all with the sample. You can read the collectors full account here

Bottom line is Braun sample tested positive. Which means either the sample was tampered with, it degraded, or he had drugs in his system. Experts have said degrading was simply impossible in the time frame in question, and there is rock solid evidence that the sample thatw as sealed in Brauns presence went to the lab completely in tact

• alkelly2 - Jun 7, 2013 at 1:16 AM

We don’t know why the arbitrator ruled in favor of Braun. We can only speculate because of the comments made about the flawed collection process afterwards. Were there other facts that were part of the arbitrators’ decision? We really don’t know since he was fired before he could submit his written report.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Jun 7, 2013 at 5:59 AM

Actually he had plenty of time to submit the rport – the Union and MLB (yes, both sides) asked him not to release it. He had 30 days to submit the report, and he wasn’t fired until 3 months later, when he did the same thing again.

As for speculating about why the suspension was over turned – thats liek speculting where the sun rose this AM. hell, Braun himself held a press conference and said why! Yes, we don’t have the written statement of WHY Shyam Das felt the delayed shipment was important, but it is very well known that that was the reason

• countduku - Jun 5, 2013 at 12:56 PM

One piece of undisputed known fact is that the seal on Braun’s sample was not broken. Not even his legal team is disputing that anymore. The Fed-ex box seal was intact and so was the seal on the bottle which Braun himself initialed. You also are wrong about the amounts of PED in the sample being deadly amounts. That is simply not true at all. It was an amount unusually high, but never to the point where it could have been fatal. I also don’t think ESPN needs Braun to be guilty in any way. They could care less by now. The problem Braun has is that after the positive test, he went after MLB, ESPN personnel, the guy collecting the sample and anybody else he could, when in fact the sample tested was proven to be his own. He blamed everybody else, and they all have that right to respond and prove that they were right. He just didn’t expect them to come at him as hard as they are.

• padraighansen - Jun 5, 2013 at 1:57 PM

A couple of quick replies to both @countduku & @DelawarePhilliesFan

First, @DelawarePhilliesFan…seen enough of Bob Davidson yet? Wow…

OK, on to Braun. Like I said, he may be guilty. Nothing surprises me anymore. But in the course of analyzing any situation like this, whether it’s sports, or stuff with our own jobs, careers, etc., there’s always two questions I ask. First, who benefits? Second, who has the most to lose?

Now, the easiest answer to the first question now – as of today – is both Bosch and MLB. That’s pretty straightforward.

The second question is a bit more difficult. Obviously, first and foremost, it’s any player, including Braun, named on that list. If – and that’s a big IF – they are actually innocent, the damage has already been done.

But second on that list is ESPN, and here’s why: ESPN broke the initial story of the positive test when it was supposed to be confidential. TJ Quinn, in particular, as an “investigative” journalist, has the most to lose aside from the players – which is his credibility. ESPN, as a whole platform, has their talking heads, columnists, insiders, etc. already burying these players and declaring them guilty. If any of these players named are actually innocent, because of the way ESPN’s news & opinion format works, the scrutiny under which ESPN’s opinion side works with their news side will really increase.

Countduku, you’re right that ESPN has little left to gain – but they have a lot more to lose. I’m not saying they are right or they are wrong, but I am wary of their motivation, if that makes sense.

As for the original test, I believe there is a lot we do not know. I do know that Braun’s legal team took the path of least resistance in obtaining their primary objective, which was to overturn the suspension, by challenging the collection protocol followed. That’s the low-hanging fruit. Any good counsel would have done the same thing. They never tried to attack the validity of the test, in my opinion, because their job was to overturn the suspension, and the handling of the collection violated the jointly agreed upon procedures, so it was fairly easy. I also think this strategy hurt Braun the most, because the results of the test, not the validity of it, was never challenged.

Finally, on the amount of testosterone, I remember reading excerpts from, and quoting, those in the medical profession that deemed that level “potentially fatal”. If memory serves – and I’m in between meetings now and can’t look it up – I think Will Carroll on SI may been one that authored statements on it.

Again, fellas, who knows? I’ve had the luxury, so to speak, of seeing a lot of “evidence” leaked via the court of public opinion to benefit adverse parties – so this may just be my history talking.

• Barb Caffrey - Jun 5, 2013 at 1:41 PM

I agree 100%, Padraig. Nothing was ever proven about Braun — nothing — because MLB refused to release what actually happened and what the arbitrator actually said (what the actual reasoning was for overturning Braun’s suspension). All we have is hearsay and leaked reports from MLB’s home office, which isn’t nearly enough.

I believe this is a vendetta against Braun because Braun played by MLB’s own rules. MLB states that not knowing you’ve taken something isn’t good enough; there’s a very small margin of error. Braun has passed drug tests before, drug tests since, and took and passed a lie detector test that was strongly indicative of his innocence. But MLB did not care about any of that, so the only way Braun had to overturn the suspension was the route he took — and it still took an excellent legal team to find that one, small avenue available to Braun, at that.

So Braun appealed, won his appeal, and MLB doesn’t like it that Braun won. That’s why they keep going after him.

As a fan, I’m appalled by MLB’s actions. This doesn’t have anything to do with “the good of the game” — instead, it’s all about how MLB is angry with Braun and will do anything, even consort with a known liar like Bosch (who’s already changed his story several times), to get him.

That’s not good enough.

• Barb Caffrey - Jun 5, 2013 at 1:46 PM

BTW, if they ever actually release the report that states why the arbitrator overturned Braun’s suspension, then we’ll know a lot more. As it stands, what we know comes from the collector himself (who admittedly has little reason to lie), what’s known from other drug-collecting organizations about the proper handling of samples, and the fact that Braun has passed dozens of drug tests before and many since this one, failed drug test.

If Braun had actually failed another test since then, I’d believe MLB and its contentions that Braun somehow “got over.” But he hasn’t.

Again, we don’t have the full reasoning as to why Braun’s suspension was overturned in the first place. So we don’t really know all the facts.

What we do know is that everyone deserves due process under the law outside of baseball, and baseball’s major league players deserve due process under the duly negotiated CBA. MLB is trying to make an end-run around the CBA and it cannot be tolerated — because if they suspend one of my favorite players today for hearsay, they can suspend one of yours tomorrow for hearsay.

And hearsay, as I said before, is just not good enough.

• countduku - Jun 5, 2013 at 3:24 PM

the reason that two of the three arbitrators gave for the ruling was that “the chain of events in the sample collection was not done so exactly as it was outlined by the CBA”. All three have ruled that the samples were never tampered with. The easiest way for Braun to show he was innocent would have been to prove that it was possible that the sample was tampered with. His legal team could not do that. In fact it was proven that it wasn’t. If they could have proven any type of tampering, we would never be having this conversation today. The story would have died there…….When did Ryan Braun ever take and pass a polygraph test??? Who administered it,when and why?? They went to Boesch because he is the person who can prove beyond a doubt that Braun was guilty. They would not have made such a good deal for him without that assurity. Be patient. The rest of the truth is on the way.

• stercuilus65 - Jun 5, 2013 at 8:12 PM

Barb you live in Egypt by chance? :)

• Barb Caffrey - Jun 6, 2013 at 4:44 AM

Nope. :-) I just remember all of the things that happened when Braun was accused. Remember, when he was outed by MLB, he shouldn’t have been — it was all supposed to be confidential.

I think countduku is right that all the information is not yet out there. But all I’m doing is commenting on what is known about Tony Bosch — and that truth really isn’t too impressive.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Jun 5, 2013 at 2:37 PM

Sorry, but I have an exteremly hard time believing that if there was anything – ANYTHING – that would indicate tampering of the sample, that Brauns team would not have been all over it. His lawyers have a obligation to act in his legal and fiducuiary interests. Getting off the way he did has greatly impacted his financial intersts – endorsements, doubt about him when he becomes a free agent, etc.. If his legal team had any angle to play that his tests were tampered with and they did not pursue it, Braun could sue them for malpractice.

Don’t forget, Brauns does not dispute the following:

Every individual naturally produces testosterone and a substance called epitestosterone, typically at a ratio of 1-to-1. In Major League Baseball, if the ratio comes in at 4-to-1 or higher during testing, a player is deemed to have tested positive. The sources did not indicate how high above the threshold Braun’s sample tested.

To affirm the results and strengthen its case, MLB asked the World Anti-Doping Agency lab in Montreal, which conducts its testing, to perform a secondary test to determine whether the testosterone spike resulted from natural variations within Braun’s body or from an artificial source. The test indicated the testosterone was exogenous, meaning it came from outside his body.

17. ningenito78 - Jun 5, 2013 at 12:23 PM

@nategearhart- every comment you put up it becomes more and more apparent you’re about a year behind everybody else on the information pertaining to this stuff. Take a lap.

18. djpostl - Jun 5, 2013 at 1:07 PM

This dude wouldn’t know the truth if it walked up, bit him in the ass & provided three forms of ID up to and including a long-form birth certificate.

19. huskylawyer - Jun 5, 2013 at 1:58 PM

The Ryan Braun apologists sound EXACTLY like Lance Armstrong apologize. “It is a witch hunt”, “they are relying on testimony of criminals,” “Never proven to fail a test”, blah blah blah. You’d think they would have learned from the Armstrong fiasco, but hero worship is a powerful drug. They are completely delusional. Braun paid the dope man to “consult” in his appeal, thus the reason he’s in the guys written records? If you believe that, I have some warm and sunny beach front property in Antarctica to sell you. The Braun apologists honestly probably don’t even believe what they are saying, just like the Lance Armstrong apologists.

20. wretchu - Jun 5, 2013 at 3:40 PM

======
    FALSE FALSE FALSE! It was NOT deemed to be tainted. They never even questioned the validity of the sample. It was not handled according to proper procedures, but there was NEVER evidence that the test wasn’t accurate, nor that it was tampered with. Braun’s suspension was reversed on the textbook definition of a technicality.

21. mnfan2013 - Jun 5, 2013 at 5:00 PM

The man has a lot of guilt ….. Has been caught once and never been suspended & now this ….. What’s next …… Unable to tell the truth …… Must be hangin with A-ROD …..

22. mnfan2013 - Jun 5, 2013 at 5:01 PM

Or wait …. Where’s Josh Hamliton ….. Excuses , excuses , and more excuses !!!!

23. multiplemiggs - Jun 5, 2013 at 5:16 PM

You are a cheater and God will punish you.

24. imaginesuperbowlwin - Jun 5, 2013 at 5:47 PM

Way to set an example for all those little leaguers that supposedly look up to you. You should explain this all to them!

25. acorp11 - Jun 5, 2013 at 6:08 PM

Love you Ryan, Brew Crew faithful will always support you!

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5253)