Jun 5, 2013, 11:34 PM EDT
From Eric Stephen of True Blue LA comes word that Dodgers reliever Scott Elbert needs Tommy John reconstructive surgery on his left elbow to repair a complete UCL tear. He is done for the rest of the season and will struggle to return before July 2014.
Elbert has been dealing with elbow problems since last August and even had a pair of minor surgeries this offseason. They obviously did not do the trick.
The 27-year-old southpaw has a 3.61 ERA, 1.34 WHIP and 92/41 K/BB ratio in 92 1/3 career major league innings. He was a first-round pick of the Dodgers (17th overall) in the 2004 MLB Amateur Draft.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 5
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 26
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 206
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 29
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 30
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 40
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (207)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (102)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)