Jun 5, 2013, 11:34 PM EDT
From Eric Stephen of True Blue LA comes word that Dodgers reliever Scott Elbert needs Tommy John reconstructive surgery on his left elbow to repair a complete UCL tear. He is done for the rest of the season and will struggle to return before July 2014.
Elbert has been dealing with elbow problems since last August and even had a pair of minor surgeries this offseason. They obviously did not do the trick.
The 27-year-old southpaw has a 3.61 ERA, 1.34 WHIP and 92/41 K/BB ratio in 92 1/3 career major league innings. He was a first-round pick of the Dodgers (17th overall) in the 2004 MLB Amateur Draft.
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 14
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 75
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 29
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 45
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 29
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry (88)