Jun 5, 2013, 9:46 AM EST
Bob Davidson has a history with the Phillies. Last year he received a rare one-game suspension from Major League Baseball after he got into an F-bombfull argument with Charlie Manuel. An argument that was started because Davidson himself got in the way of a play to the Phillies’ detriment.
So you can imagine he was not so well-received by the Phaithful last night when he botched a call at second base. Ben Revere was in first, Michael Young was at the plate and put the ball into play. Revere slid into second base head first on what appeared to be a totally clean slide, breaking up the double play. Here it is, courtesy of our buddy Bill at Crashburn Alley:
Revere is on the bag. Yes, he is clearly trying to break up the second baseman’s rhythm, but that always happens. Except in this case Davidson ruled that Revere interfered and, subsequently, the double play was awarded to the White Sox. Which is frankly crazy because interference is never called when a runner is still on the base. Hell, it’s never called as long as he’s within arm’s reach of it. Sometimes it’s never called when the runner is two or three feet from the bag. And in this case Revere didn’t appear to even touch the second baseman at all.
What was he even seeing here?
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)