Jun 5, 2013, 9:46 AM EST
Bob Davidson has a history with the Phillies. Last year he received a rare one-game suspension from Major League Baseball after he got into an F-bombfull argument with Charlie Manuel. An argument that was started because Davidson himself got in the way of a play to the Phillies’ detriment.
So you can imagine he was not so well-received by the Phaithful last night when he botched a call at second base. Ben Revere was in first, Michael Young was at the plate and put the ball into play. Revere slid into second base head first on what appeared to be a totally clean slide, breaking up the double play. Here it is, courtesy of our buddy Bill at Crashburn Alley:
Revere is on the bag. Yes, he is clearly trying to break up the second baseman’s rhythm, but that always happens. Except in this case Davidson ruled that Revere interfered and, subsequently, the double play was awarded to the White Sox. Which is frankly crazy because interference is never called when a runner is still on the base. Hell, it’s never called as long as he’s within arm’s reach of it. Sometimes it’s never called when the runner is two or three feet from the bag. And in this case Revere didn’t appear to even touch the second baseman at all.
What was he even seeing here?
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 31
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 34
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 116
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 46
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (117)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)